Page 1 of 4
I'm an RA at the University of Indianapolis, and don't mind answering questions from any incoming freshman around the UG community. And there'll be lots of guys to tell you how it at various places around the world if you have a question about anything specific. Just want to help out a bit for you guys, I know I was nervous as hell my freshman year.
Gee, thank god for you, my friend, for answering our questions about college. It's not like any of us incoming freshmen have gone to an orientation or information or even seen a college movie.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
Quote by thedude97
Gee, thank god for you, my friend, for answering our questions about college. It's not like any of us incoming freshmen have gone to an orientation or information or even seen a college movie.

Just want to help out dude, no need to be a doosh.
Haha. My RA my freshman year was such a weirdo.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
He just wants to help out dude, more power to ya man.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by thedude97
or even seen a college movie.

Double secret probation!! Watch out for the Deltas.
when you first moved in, TS, did you find that finding friends came relatively easily and quickly? are there a few days where you wander around by yourself? that seems to be my main fear, as i don't know anyone going to the same school as me (i'm moving away, most people stay here)
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
is it difficult to find guitarists?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
well, do most people use laptops in class?
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
To cheeseman

Dude, if you're living on campus, you'll be fine. Most of the other people will be in the same position as you. Everyone wants to make friends. Just be outgoing and friendly and you'll be good.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Don't listen to him! to anyone is heading into a college residence, R.As are out there only to harsh your mellow and to live in at the college for free
no dice.
Quote by thedude97

you're an asshole.
god forbid one of the few people that want to help others.
I'm just saying I think it's funny that this guy thinks that just because he's an RA, he could somehow be a source of knowledge we've never seen before. Just makin' a funny.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
how do drinking and drugs and stuff really come into play?

Does it only happen at the house parties or does it happen in the dorms parties too?
Open Wide, The Sky

Quote by cheeseman3001
when you first moved in, TS, did you find that finding friends came relatively easily and quickly? are there a few days where you wander around by yourself? that seems to be my main fear, as i don't know anyone going to the same school as me (i'm moving away, most people stay here)

Most schools have stupid games you'll play the first days to meet a lot of folks at, but mainly, I've found that the people you live around are going to be your best friends. Just say hello, laugh at the lame games and such, stuff you can relate with the person about. And always keep your door open, when your around that is, you'll meet a lot of people who are just passing by.
Quote by sacamano79
is it difficult to find guitarists?

In my experience, yes, it is somewhat hard to find guitarist. There are good guitarist you'll find, but I was easily the best guitarist in my hall by the end of last year. It's hard to find someone who's into the same stuff as you, but you can compromise and come up with some good jams. It might be different at larger schools and schools with big music programs, but if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll meet some folks to jam with.

And you'll meet a million guitar posers, who just know 3 chords and think their the ****. Melt their face man, and do it in front of people, cause no one likes that guy.
Quote by Vinnie5
well, do most people use laptops in class?

Not a lot, but it's not looked down on if you do use one. Some people might give you bad looks if your just playing games on them or something, but hey, if you got a sweet laptop and can multi-task have at it. Just don't let it hinder you from being social, always a smart idea to make a few friends in every class you got. Sit next to a real pretty gal and you can instantly get a 'study buddy' if you play your cards right.
Nice initiative, TS.

College can be intimidating to newbies.

Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by TheBassist101
Don't listen to him! to anyone is heading into a college residence, R.As are out there only to harsh your mellow and to live in at the college for free

We aren't, there are assholes out there who are on some sort of power trip RA'ing, but for the most part, we're good folks. And we're helpful, it's our job to make sure that you life in the years at school is as easy as we can make it. We do have to enforce rules, but usually if you're a nice guy, and don't break em too often, we'll let you slide if we catch you doing something. Depends on the person, but don't get caught doin anything bad early on, we've gotta make examples of the first few...well usually, I don't write many folks up, but that's what they tell us anyways.
Quote by Vinnie5
how do drinking and drugs and stuff really come into play?

Does it only happen at the house parties or does it happen in the dorms parties too?

I drank a lot my freshman year, in the dorms too haha. Become tight with the RA's as best you can, and be a friendly fella, it'll help your chances of not getting busted if you are caught. When you drink, don't have anything out in the open, cept cups or what not, no bottles. Have some febreeze or something to keep the smell down, lock your door and make sure the folks your drinking with are being relatively quiet. Also, don't drink in huge groups, your only askin to get caught.

Basically, our rule here is, you don't get in trouble if your drunk, so long as your not being belligerant or have pants on, and aren't puking everywhere, you only get in trouble if your caught in the process of getting drunk. So just watch yourself.

And yes, most everyone drinks at some point, just know your limits, don't drive and what not. It's a lot more common at parties and such. A lot of folks do drugs too, but you won't get pressured to do em if you don't want to. I never did, despite being asked all the time if I did or knew who to buy em off of haha. Just I'm a big Floyd fan, and a long haired guitar player...haha gotta love stereotypes.
Thanks I was always wondering that b/c of course you wont get a straight answer outta any representative of the school
Open Wide, The Sky

Quote by metaldud536
Are we allowed to bring Pokemon on campus?

Sure, as long as your cool without ever getting any pussy. Just kidding man, haha you can if you want, though I'm not sure how your roommate would feel about it.
Quote by rossjohnson87
Sure, as long as your cool without ever getting any pussy. Just kidding man, haha you can if you want, though I'm not sure how your roommate would feel about it.

Cool. Even though I'm already in college, and don't live on campus, but I wanted to ask in case anyone else was too afraid to ask.
is an Electric guitar in the dorm room a common occurrence?
Open Wide, The Sky

i'm gonna be a sophomore. long story short, just be cool and you'll make tons of friends with awesome people. but, keep the drinking under control. trust me drinking is great fun, but if you let it get in the way of your studies, you're just screwing yourself
about half the guitarists i know in the dorms play electrics, the other half play acoustics cuz it's easier
Cool thread, I've still got three more years of damn high school but I've been thinking about college life lately so this is nice.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
Quote by Vinnie5

a kid on my floor last year had a bass. Nobody minded, one kid also had an electric, but he never really played it. Just don't play them after 10pm or before 10 am, else people might get pissed
Quote by Vinnie5

I have one, and have a tough time practicing on it, only because I'm kind of a people pleaser and don't want to annoy too many folks. But I remedied that this year by getting some headphones I can put on play with. Bring an acoustic for sure, even if you're not a big fan. I'm all about the electric and play it all the time, but it isn't fun to hear someone practicing the same riff over and over and over again, so take that with warning. For sure bring yours tho man, cause it is fun, and it's better to practice on electric than acoustic anyways. If anything you can unplug or turn it down low enough it won't bug anyone.

Just if your like me, you like to hear yourself rockin out, and you can't do that 24/7 in college unfortunately.
Quote by rossjohnson87
We aren't, there are assholes out there who are on some sort of power trip RA'ing, but for the most part, we're good folks. And we're helpful, it's our job to make sure that you life in the years at school is as easy as we can make it. We do have to enforce rules, but usually if you're a nice guy, and don't break em too often, we'll let you slide if we catch you doing something. Depends on the person, but don't get caught doin anything bad early on, we've gotta make examples of the first few...well usually, I don't write many folks up, but that's what they tell us anyways.

ha, funny you say something like that, the first night I was in residence my roommates and myself got caught for smoking pot. Since then we were way more careful, like ALWAYS blowing the smoke through toilet paper rolls with bounce sheets in them out the window of into the bathroom exhaust fan.
Im heading into my 3rd year now, and renting a place to live is so much better than rez in alot of ways, you mainly live on campus your first year just to meet people
no dice.
Quote by TheBassist101
ha, funny you say something like that, the first night I was in residence my roommates and myself got caught for smoking pot. Since then we were way more careful, like ALWAYS blowing the smoke through toilet paper rolls with bounce sheets in them out the window of into the bathroom exhaust fan.
Im heading into my 3rd year now, and renting a place to live is so much better than rez in alot of ways, you mainly live on campus your first year just to meet people

Yea you'll prolly only live on campus your first, maybe your second year, and it is mostly to meet folks and have an easier time getting to class and what not. Just getting the whole college experience. As long as your careful when you're doing stuff illegal, you'll be alright. It's not like we're out lookin for folks breaking the rules, and if it's possible to look away we prolly will. But if your being a blatant idiot, smokin out in the halls or with your door open, your toast. (Not saying you were, TB101, just as a general example). He pretty much lays it all out right there. It's easier not to get caught, cause we won't suspect ya in the future then. But spray **** to cover up the smell, pot's easy to smell, so don't just let it linger round your room, wash your **** regularly and stuff so it doesn't pick up a scent.
Quote by thedude97

Fuck off, TS was just trying to be helpful and I think this is a good idea for a thread.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Won't be around much today, prolly this evening a bit, but keep asking questions, there's plenty of UG'ers here that can help out. Or drop me a private message if you don't feel like postin on here. Anyways, good stuff so far, and hope it's helped you guys out a bit.
Does it suck balls to live at home while going to University? I have a feeling it will.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Hanzi_G
Does it suck balls to live at home while going to University? I have a feeling it will.

Well it's less expensive, you still have all the privacy you want.

Honestly, if you don't have friends, then yes, yes it will.

You can still play your guitar as loud as you want.
Quote by metaldud536
Well it's less expensive, you still have all the privacy you want.

Honestly, if you don't have friends, then yes, yes it will.

You can still play your guitar as loud as you want.

All my friends are going away, so I'm left alone in the city I grew up in haha.

Actually I still know tons of people here, but many of my immediate friends are all gone. It's gonna be a bit tougher to make plans I guess. My plan is just to go to as many university activities as I can, so I'm sure it'll be sick. I just kinda wanted to live the dorm room experience. Oh well.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by HanTheMan
I don't really drink, am I gonna have friends

you don't drink at all or you only drink a little? either way you will find people that feel the same and you can make friends with them or you can just go out and be social without alcohol. just don't worry about making friends, they will come in time.
Page 1 of 4