For mostly heavy metal, but with some variety... what amp?

The Peavey 6505 2x12 combo, or the JSX 2x12 combo?

(I'm posting for a friend, as I already have a 5150 II half-stack. lol)
ESP MH-1000 w/EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta Vendetta Floyd w/SD Blackouts
Peavey 5150 II Head
Marshall 1960 slanted cab
Ibanez Weaping Deamon Wah
if you're looking for more variety I would say the JSX
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
yup ^
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
JSX, but the head is cheaper than the combo....
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
now that i read your question, the best amp for metal AND versatility would be the JSX with an OD. The 6505 is heavier but lacks in cleans and crunch.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by beadhangingOne
JSX is more versatile, but 6505 has better metal tones. However, JSX has better cleans.

Sounds about right. If he is mostly metal with a variety of other styles, go JSX. Strictly death metal and the 6505
why a 6505? 5150 is cheaper O.o...well i like 6505. JSX sounds too uhhh punchy, if you know what i mean. 6505 has better metal tones and the cleans are ok if you use a nice chorus to clear it up. and if you're really gonna play METAL, you dont need a good clean. the 6505 doesnt even have a dedicated clean channel. because it's made for metal. there you go.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
why a 6505? 5150 is cheaper O.o...well i like 6505. JSX sounds too uhhh punchy, if you know what i mean. 6505 has better metal tones and the cleans are ok if you use a nice chorus to clear it up. and if you're really gonna play METAL, you dont need a good clean. the 6505 doesnt even have a dedicated clean channel. because it's made for metal. there you go.

So using cleans is not "metal?"
Metallica is not "metal" because they use cleans in some of their songs?
And the 6505 and 5150 are the same amp, really so if you want the 5150 cause it's cheaper, go for it.
It's true that the 6505 will do generall metal better. The JSX just does everything else better.
Where we live there is only one Peavey dealer, and they only stock the newest gear (re: the JSX and 6505).

My buddy loves my 5150 (as do I) but seems to have taken a shine to the JSX as well. Go figure.
ESP MH-1000 w/EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta Vendetta Floyd w/SD Blackouts
Peavey 5150 II Head
Marshall 1960 slanted cab
Ibanez Weaping Deamon Wah
JSX!!!! I ****ing hate the 6505s... Thats not a metal tone... Thats a piece of **** that seems to be in the hands of metal musicians... Go with a jsx
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm