Page 1 of 2
I've gotten somewhat of a death metal fetish lately. I've been listening to some Cannibal Corpse and Necrophagist, but other bands to play and listen to would be much appreciated. No Children of Bodom.
What are some good songs to start out with? My skill level is coughoverninethousandcough and I can play a bunch of lamb of god and they are sort of technical... yeah. I'm not too great at sweeping, but the if the songs have sweeps, I could always learn.
Any reccomendations would be nice.
Last edited by RPGoof at Aug 10, 2008,
When I was into metal I loved Nile.

but I'm listening to them right now and can't figure out why really.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Fermented Offal Discharge is a ****ing hard song to rememeber and somewhat hard to play. For example, you are playing a total new section every 5 seconds and hardly ever repeats.

Play some Death songs because they are wicked to play (Crystal Mountain is my favorite to play). If you want a crazy Death Metal song Bridge of Destiny will rock your **** off. Just listen to it and you will love it.
You should try Charred Remains from Autopsy, or Zombie Ritual from Death, Redneck Stomp or Chopped in Half from Obituary are fun to play
Quote by RPGoof
I've gotten somewhat of a death metal fetish lately. I've been listening to some Cannibal Corpse and Necrophagist, but other bands to play and listen to would be much appreciated. No Children of Bodom.
What are some good songs to start out with? My skill level is coughoverninethousandcough and I can play a bunch of lamb of god and they are sort of technical... yeah. I'm not too great at sweeping, but the if the songs have sweeps, I could always learn.

Why no Bodom?

Glad to see a fellow LoG fan though, I really like them, and could care less that they are considered metalcore.

Anyway, Lashed to the SLave Stick by Nile is really awesome.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Try looking at:
-At the gates
-All shall perish
-Through the eyes of the dead
-Job for a Cowboy
-Amon Amarth
-Katakalysm
-Carcass
^Those are all like deathcore or grindcore D: I was looking for more br00talz death metalz

Quote by SG Man Forever
Why no Bodom?

Glad to see a fellow LoG fan though, I really like them, and could care less that they are considered metalcore.

I used to be into Bodom but not so much anymore. I kind of hate all their riffs not even being riffs, but licks.
And yeah Nile is pretty cool.
Quote by RPGoof
^Those are all like deathcore or grindcore D: I was looking for more br00talz death metalz

I used to be into Bodom but not so much anymore. I kind of hate all their riffs not even being riffs, but licks.
And yeah Nile is pretty cool.

That's actually what I like about Bodom, it makes their music more interesting (to me)

My main gripe about Nile thoguh is that too much of their songs are tremolo picking the same three notes. When the songs have good riffs in them (like LTTSS or Ruins) then they really enter the realm of awesome.

In Their Darkened Shrines VI: Ruins is a good song too, very easy, but very fun to jam over.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Another thing about Bodom is their riffs and licks are just kind of weird, I never really found a good way to play them cleanly. Like the intro to Bed of Razors. I can usually play the first notes alright, but the transition from the last note to the first note when it repeats... man I just can't get it lol
Decapitated?I saw one guy who covered in on youtube,he makes it look easy.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Lamb of God is nowhere in the same ballpark with Tech Death... Just so you know.

But, if you must play Necro, start on Extreme Unction.

Also: Cynic is really technical: Celestial Voyage, Veil of Maya, How Could I, hell, even Textures has some tricky parts.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Lamb of God is nowhere in the same ballpark with Tech Death... Just so you know.

Yeah, but many of their songs still require quite a bit of technique to pull off cleanly, especially the string skipping licks they like to do.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by RPGoof

Stopped reading there. If its a fetish I think you need help!

In all seriousness get a base of bands form this thread, then look on your own. It will be hard but you can find some really good stuff when you look hard.
FERMENTED OFFAL DISCHARGE!

its always been one of my favorites....

Check out some Gothenburg/Swedish style Melodic Death Metal-

I love anything by At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Mors Principium Est, etc

(yeah I know that MPE isn't Swedish, its Finnish but they are so damn awesome!)

EDIT: And Amon Amarth, I would pretty much die for them (Just like I would DIE FOR DETHKLOK )
Last edited by Guitar_Kingdom at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by RPGoof
Another thing about Bodom is their riffs and licks are just kind of weird, I never really found a good way to play them cleanly. Like the intro to Bed of Razors. I can usually play the first notes alright, but the transition from the last note to the first note when it repeats... man I just can't get it lol

No offence, but if you can't play that, then I don't think youre ready for Technical Death, escpecially Necrophagist, not that I can play any Necrphagist songs, but Bed Of Razors isn't extremely difficult. It's not easy, but it certianly is one of Bodom's less difficult numbers.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
If you want some Über Melodic and fun to play Death Metal songs try Blinded by Fear, Slaughter Of The Soul, Suicide Nation, Cold, The Beautiful Wound all by At The Gates.

If you want more straight up brutal Death Metal try Obituary, Nile, Behemoth and Marduk (Even though they are Black Metal).
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Last edited by CFH82 at Aug 11, 2008,
DAATH ftw!
youll have to learn supterfudge or ovum at some point, they're really essentially the basis of a lot of death metal todayz.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
Quote by SG Man Forever
No offence, but if you can't play that, then I don't think youre ready for Technical Death, escpecially Necrophagist, not that I can play any Necrphagist songs, but Bed Of Razors isn't extremely difficult. It's not easy, but it certianly is one of Bodom's less difficult numbers.

meh
I just can't stand playing Bodom, it's like rubbing my hands all over a hobos balls. I know it isn't hard, but I just can't get it right.
I've started learning Necrophagist's Stabwound. It's certainly a challenge, but I'll get somewhere with it :P
BLACK DAHLIA MURDER! There not the heaviest but they have some really tech stuff that builds up your speed
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by SG Man Forever
Why no Bodom?

Lamb of god for the (somewhat) win!
Quote by SG Man Forever
That's actually what I like about Bodom, it makes their music more interesting (to me)

My main gripe about Nile thoguh is that too much of their songs are tremolo picking the same three notes. When the songs have good riffs in them (like LTTSS or Ruins) then they really enter the realm of awesome.

In Their Darkened Shrines VI: Ruins is a good song too, very easy, but very fun to jam over.

I know what you're saying about nile there. Annihilation Of The Wicked is the most boring song of all time.

Anyway, try some Behemoth and some Vader.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 12, 2008,
Epitaph has the most brutal rhythm to it.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Hahahaha, someone said Play Obituary... you play that right when you pick up a guitar.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
learn to play Thunder horse.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Yeah, but many of their songs still require quite a bit of technique to pull off cleanly, especially the string skipping licks they like to do.

But there still a joke compared to nile, spawn of possession and old cryptopsy.
rl]
eh, some Nile's really pretty easy then some is unbelievably crazy.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked/Laying Fire Upon Apep/Lashed To The Slave Stick
Belphegor - Kings Shall Be Kings/The Goatchrist
Suffocation - Redemption/Abomination Reborn
Behemoth - No Sympathy For Fools/Prometherion/Conquer All/Demigod/Christians To The Lions
Morbid Angel - Curse The Flesh/Immortal Rites/Lion's Den
Cannibal Corpse - Decency Defied/Covered With Sores
Death - Empty Words/Misanthrope/Symbolic/Crystal Mountain
Monstrosity - Angel's Venom
Cynic - How Could I?
Sepultura - Inquisition Symphony/Beneath The Remains/Mass Hypnosis/Stronger Than Hate

There you go, help yourself. Lots of different death metal, lots of different tunings, and lots of different difficulty levels as well. Tell me what you think after you've tried some of those.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I personally like kataklysm, Dying Fetus, Vader, Aborted etc. but they all vary in difficulty and technique
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Last edited by BAoxymoron at Aug 12, 2008,
Try learning some All Shall Perish, a lot of their songs have a fair share of sweeping, and are pretty technical.
Quote by StealthyHayze
But there still a joke compared to nile, spawn of possession and old cryptopsy.

For the most part, yes, but some LOG songs are a little bit harder to play spot on than some Nile songs. For example, One Gun by LOG is IMO harder to play than Lashed to the Slave Stick by Nile, simply because of the speed of the 32nd note gallops they use in that song. Nile is for the most part, much harder, but difficulty does not nessesarily mean how good a song is. Many of Nile's songs would be really great if the weren't like 8 minutes long.

Quote by oneblackened
Lamb of god for the (somewhat) win!

I know what you're saying about nile there. Annihilation Of The Wicked is the most boring song of all time.

Anyway, try some Behemoth and some Vader.

that song would be great if it was half the length it is.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
For the most part, yes, but some LOG songs are a little bit harder to play spot on than some Nile songs. For example, One Gun by LOG is IMO harder to play than Lashed to the Slave Stick by Nile, simply because of the speed of the 32nd note gallops they use in that song. Nile is for the most part, much harder, but difficulty does not nessesarily mean how good a song is. Many of Nile's songs would be really great if the weren't like 8 minutes long.

troo dat.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by SG Man Forever

Your 100% correct, im just throwing that out there though

Speaking of gallops, have any of you tried learning Bleed by Meshuggah?
rl]
Quote by StealthyHayze
Your 100% correct, im just throwing that out there though

Speaking of gallops, have any of you tried learning Bleed by Meshuggah?

I don't want to. I think I'll stick to metallica.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Page 1 of 2