I've been tuning my guitar from a piano since i started playing but recently it's dawned on me that if i don't have access to a piano I'm not going to be able to tune. I have a tuning fork that my dad gave me, but no clue as to how to use it.

Anyone else have any idea how to use it?

It's got the letter "A" and the numbers "440" engraved on it if that helps..
i have no idea how to use one either, but im assuming you can tune your A string with that tuning fork?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
that fork is pitched to the a string and than when that is in tune you can tune your guitar based on your a string.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
As far as i know you basically listin to it and tune your A string to that same note.
Then you do the rest by ear.

Or you can get a $15-20 tunner and save your self some time.
I guess that seems logical, lol
Don't know why i didn't think of that myself..

Thanks for all your help!!
You bang it on a table or something, and match the pitch it produces to your guitar's A string. Then tune all the other strings using the A string. (which would be via natural harmonics, or 5th fret relative tuning, whatever)
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

what u do is, u take the tuning fork and smack ur guitar with it until the finish chips off, then u should be in tune
It's probably too late now, but don't hit the tuning fork on a table or anything hard. It might chip it (despite it being metal), which can throw off its accuracy/tone.

Use the bottom of your sneaker or the underside of your wrist, something firm but not hard.
Quote by Athetosis
It's probably too late now, but don't hit the tuning fork on a table or anything hard. It might chip it (despite it being metal), which can throw off its accuracy/tone.

Use the bottom of your sneaker or the underside of your wrist, something firm but not hard.

this is true, but the using it to tune your a string part is right
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Hit the fork, wait for it to stablise, tune your A string to it.

Next time read the tuning thread stickied at the top of this forum.
Been away, am back