Does the thickness of a guitar neck depend on the manufacturer or more so the model?

Like we all now ibanez are known for a relatively small neck good for shredding, and Gibsons are known for a thicker neck for a good meatier tone. Now is this just because of the manufacturer or do both of the brands have thicker and thinner necks?

Also does it matter what kind of neck it is? Bolt on, set neck or neck-through? Like generally would a bolt on neck be smaller than say a neck-through or a set neck?

Thanks all, this will help me in determining what kinda guitar I look for next.
It's just the model, it's how the company decides to shape the neck of the guitar, nothing to do with bolt on and such
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
It's just the model, it's how the company decides to shape the neck of the guitar, nothing to do with bolt on and such

Is the only way to know the feeling of the neck is to play it? Because i've checked a couple brand's sites and they don't put the width of the neck, just how long it is.
The only thing a bolt-on vs. a neck-thru design will change is how your hand feels when it gets to the upper frets. Most non-AANJ bolt-ons are a little tougher to get to the last frets on because the screw block is a large, blocky obstruction, but it is easy to live with for the most part. Neck thru's will have almost no or just a little heel, and maybe a bit more sustain, but there are always exceptions.

As far as brands go in influencing neck thickness and width, a lot of brands have their own "signature", if you will, neck style. Gibsons are usually pretty full, and a bit thicker but not too wide. Ibanez generally has a wider, thinner fret-board, but they have models without the cliche neck as well, as do most brands. If you really are looking for a thicker neck, then maybe Ibanez will not have a whole lot to choose from, and a Gibson, Fender or Schecter would be a good place to start looking.

Just my two cents before bed.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
The only thing a bolt-on vs. a neck-thru design will change is how your hand feels when it gets to the upper frets. Most non-AANJ bolt-ons are a little tougher to get to the last frets on because the screw block is a large, blocky obstruction, but it is easy to live with for the most part. Neck thru's will have almost no or just a little heel, and maybe a bit more sustain, but there are always exceptions.

As far as brands go in influencing neck thickness and width, a lot of brands have their own "signature", if you will, neck style. Gibsons are usually pretty full, and a bit thicker but not too wide. Ibanez generally has a wider, thinner fret-board, but they have models without the cliche neck as well, as do most brands. If you really are looking for a thicker neck, then maybe Ibanez will not have a whole lot to choose from, and a Gibson, Fender or Schecter would be a good place to start looking.

Just my two cents before bed.

Thanks dude, i'm looking for a guitar with a heavy tone like I have with my current guitar (in sig) but the neck feeling of a Schecter Damien-6.

Can anyone help me with that?