How would you suggest working on lead guitar skills. IE soloing, melodies, etc.
Learn the notes on the fretboard. Learn different keys. Learn to follow the chords. Watch Marty Friedman's Melodic Control video.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&ei=N8-fSKiULqi2_AGvp9ws&q=melodic+control
Learn diatonic and pentatonic scales and make little exercises out of the different patterns up and down the neck...Just have fun with them

Edit: Might I suggest Dunlop Jazz III picks? They're great when you get used to them
Last edited by madnaz at Aug 11, 2008,
I know, i've done all that, I now need more specific ways to improve my style and sound.
Quote by madnaz

Edit: Might I suggest Dunlop Jazz III picks? They're great when you get used to them

I'm using one at the moment and it just happens to be one of tom morello's.
Quote by mattj2192
I know, i've done all that, I now need more specific ways to improve my style and sound.

Have you actually learned these things inside out, or have you just learned what they are?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Have you actually learned these things inside out, or have you just learned what they are?

A little bit of both
Learn a few scales properly first, then practise soloing along to a chord progression. Don't try to get too tricky at first, just get the hang of it first.
Learn some solos from bands you like. This will give you some ideas for while you're soloing, and learning a few licks that you can just throw in while you go is good too.
Two words: Reverse Bends!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by mattj2192

You need a more specific question. Unless you want this answer: Practice. What specifically are you having trobule with?
Make a chord progression in a key and record it if you can. then while your listening to it just pick out notes from the scale and make up melodies and stuff
Quote by mattj2192

A lot of your style is defined by your phrasing. Find as many backing tracks as you can and find different rhythmic ideas to create interesting phrases.