Hello, Well i have been hearing this word over and over agian : SCALES. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY?!?!. Please dumb it down for me, and dont use any theory language like ocataves and hermonics (SP?) because i will have to look it up on dictionary.com. What are they used for, and are they really that necassary?
this is as oversimplified as I can possibly get it: they are a series of notes in a pattern that sound good together
scales are progressions of notes which you can base a solo on
you see people use them all the time in riffing and soloing
and yes they are very important unless you play stuff like 3 chord punk rock
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
scales are pretty much a set of notes that fit together and scales are usefull to finding notes that fit in with certain chords and such. read up on them because you ever want to write stuff scales are really usefull
you know, trying to explain it myself, its hard to say what a scale is. Yes they are very important. Basically, they are a set of notes that "sound good together". I would just go through the theory link above from pwrmax, and learn the major scale with each mode. That, and the pentatonic scale shapes, are probably the most important/most used

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
chipmunksurfer's sig is a perfect example of a false dilemma logical fallacy, haha
Quote by simplekin88
Hello, Well i have been hearing this word over and over agian : SCALES. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY?!?!. Please dumb it down for me, and dont use any theory language like ocataves and hermonics (SP?) because i will have to look it up on dictionary.com. What are they used for, and are they really that necassary?

Then look things up, there's no "dumbing down" of theory. It's a massive, complex subject, scales are just a small part of it and if you want to understand any of it then you're going to have to do some learning.

A scale is a group of notes over a single octave that has a set pattern of intervals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah what Steve said. You can't just really dumb down something, and have it be right. If you could, then that would be the definition. Music is Standardized. Meaning no matter how much you try to explain things, you have to explain it in "Music Language" for it to be right.