I know this guy who is selling me a near mint condition (one microscopic scratch on the back side) Epiphone Explorer for $250. This is perfectly in my budget range. I assume this is a good deal. Also, I know of another person who is selling a GIBSON Explorer for $600. This one is also in good condition. I could theoretically purchase the Gibson one, but I don't want to spend that much right now. Now my REAL question is this, is the Gibson A LOT better sounding, does it sound a lot better (worth the extra few hundred) than the Epiphone? Is it worth the price difference.
The specs of both guitars are in my second post, just scroll down,
Thanks in advance!

Also, if someone who has played both/owned both before is here, can you tell me the pros/cons of both guitars!

THANKS!
Last edited by Guitar_Kingdom at Aug 11, 2008,
gibson's tend to be inheritably pricey .... then again it could also be that the epiphone is a lower end model.... if you can give some more details like the wood and the pickups on the two guitars then it may be much easier to say....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by AiC
gibson's tend to be inheritably pricey .... then again it could also be that the epiphone is a lower end model.... if you can give some more details like the wood and the pickups on the two guitars then it may be much easier to say....

INFO:

Epi: echnical Info
Pickups: 2 humbuckers

Hardware: Gold

Scale: 24.75 in.

Nut Width: 1.68 in.

Neck: Set

Neck Material: Maple

Fretboard: Rosewood

Inlay: Dot

Body Material: Korina

Gibson:

BODY

NECK
Species: Mahogany
Profile: Rounded

FINGERBOARD
Species: Rosewood; Ebony on Classic White
Scale Length: 243/4"
Nut Width: 1.695"
Inlays: Dot

HARDWARE
Plating Finish: Chrome
Tailpiece: Stopbar
Bridge: Tune-o-matic
Knobs: Black Speed
Tuners: Mini Grovers

ELECTRONICS
Neck Pickups: 496R Ceramic magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickups: 500T Ceramic magnet humbucker
Controls: Two volume, one tone, three-way switch

OTHER
Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046
I believe I've read this Statement before and will repeat it "Get the Gibson Because its a Gibson"
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
The Gibby's already loaded with ceramic pickups, meaning it's hot and ready to rock. It's also a bit of an investment years down the road.

However, not long ago I played an Epi Explorer with EMG's in it and were it not for the fact I'm just not comfortable with them I woulda bought it...sounded great. You could drop a set of EMG's in it and have it sound great and still overall end up paying less than what you would for the Gibby. Gotta go with what your budget will allow. Korina's not a bad wood, either but the Gibby's prolly mahogany and will really let the low end come out.
for those prices, I would go Gibson
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
The Gibson's by far a better guitar. Whether or not it's worth the extra $350 is up to you.

Also, what amp are you playing through?
I'd say the Gibson. You're not going to get a deal like that again, so you might as well go for it while you have the chance.

It might not be THAT much better than the Epi, but come on, you'll be a much prouder owner having a Gibson than an Epi.