So... I just cut down five trees in my back yard. What does this have to do with electric guitar, you ask?

Well, I cut down two huge maples, an oak, a birch, and a cedar. I'm an artist. So... i'm looking at the trunks of the trees, before I split them, and I start thinking... I can carve some guitars out of these. The trunk widths of the maples are at least four feet circles...

I'm really good at sculpture (went to college and all that, for art, etc...)... This seems like it would be really easy and i've already drawn up some pix of some prototypes. They look really cool.

Has anyone done this? Is the maple the best or just for the neck? What would be (is) the best wood for the neck and *cough* other part? It seems like such a cool and easy project, especially considering you can just use a chain saw to carve off perfect size pieces then chisels. Can a profit be made off of this, I have a huge amount of wood? Anyone with experience out there in UG who might know?

Thanks!! (In advance.)
greenpeace are gonna kill you ....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Lol. Guitar bodies can sell for a bit depending on what they're made out of and if they're good quality. Just depends where you sell them.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
How do your neighbors feel?
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
I got yer wood right here!

yeah I think this goes in the modding and customizing forum
Maple is a good wood for bodies. Solid, with a bright tone. A little heavy. Lynch used maple in alot of his bodies and toned the bright down with the Screamin' Demon pickups.

Since you're an artist, experiment with the other three. I don't think you'll get good results...if they were good woods for bodies they woulda been used already. But hey, since you're a sculptor they could always make good wall art. Make the bodies, and paint the hardware on.
I'm pretty sure you will need to dry the woods for a fair amount of time before they will be suitable for body making.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by samuwel
I'm pretty sure you will need to dry the woods for a fair amount of time before they will be suitable for body making.

Most definitely.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You can't use that wood right now, it's most likely still moist. It needs to be dried for a while before it can be used to make a guitar body or neck.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Maple's usable for most applications in a guitar. Oak, according to LP addict over in GB&C is similar to ash. Birch is related to Alder. Cedar is used in acoustics sometimes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AiC

LMAO
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell

F**k It dude....Let's go Bowling
Without reading the thread at all, Just think about baseball and the erection should go down.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
Dude you should experiment with mixes like a solid maple body with like a cedar arch top ect... These would be very unique and my guess is that collectors would want these one of a kind guitars. But make sure you spend alot of time learning how to make it the best quality possible. Hope that helps
Quote by vivalasoad883
wrong forum.

this should be in the gear modding customizing forum or whatever its called

I think

Say instead: "I don't know squat about anything but I DO know where to post things."

THEN: turn up your nose
Quote by AiC

#$#% Greenpeace.

Those trees were gonna fall on my house.

goddamn greenpeace freaks

lol
Quote by roosoh13
Without reading the thread at all, Just think about baseball and the erection should go down.

Hrm. I think I know what you mean but I don't have an erection AND more importantly... I'm not thinking about reproducing them in mass quantity... I just want one or two of them with PERFECT grains on the wood and it looks like it's going to be maple, based on the other great advice I got.

I just want one or two and will work on them for like a year, to make each one unique and cool. Carve the hell out of it.

Quote by samuwel

hrm. crap. I guess that makes sense. Then carve and stain them. aargh.

thanks.

Anyone know what the BEST wood is for electric wood guitars? regardless of what I chopped down? I'm on a mission now.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Maple is a good wood for bodies. Solid, with a bright tone. A little heavy. Lynch used maple in alot of his bodies and toned the bright down with the Screamin' Demon pickups.

Since you're an artist, experiment with the other three. I don't think you'll get good results...if they were good woods for bodies they woulda been used already. But hey, since you're a sculptor they could always make good wall art. Make the bodies, and paint the hardware on.

Love Dokken.

Hrm.
I am not sure if this applies to every type of wood, but only one percent of spruce logs are suitable for making guitars.
Member of the Single Coils are for Real Men group
Member of the Lefties Unite Group