I've played piano for as long as i can remember, but recently (about 3 years ago) i stopped because i wanted to learn how to play guitar. Now i can safely say i've got most techniques nailed on the guitar however i do not know any theory. I am about level ~6 on theory in piano and i was just wondering if hard to translate that onto guitar

tips and advice on the order i should start learning would be veryyyy helpful. Thanks
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Theory is theory, it's universal across all instruments.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Theory is theory, it's universal across all instruments.

yes, theory is the same no matter what instrument you're playing, however, the APPLICATION of said theory does vary from one instrument to the next.

It's not the idea that that changes, just the way you go about expressing such idea based on whatever instrument you are working with at the moment, so just remember that the progressions, melodies and whatnot from piano are still usable on guitar, but stuff such as chords as well as their fingering and formation, as well as arpeggios and scales might have to be re-thought of or just tweaked to accomodate the guitar, same goes for any transitions/translations you could think of between any two (or more) instruments, not just piano and guitar
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Last edited by Jastul at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by slayer_zero
I've played piano for as long as i can remember, but recently (about 3 years ago) i stopped because i wanted to learn how to play guitar. Now i can safely say i've got most techniques nailed on the guitar however i do not know any theory. I am about level ~6 on theory in piano and i was just wondering if hard to translate that onto guitar

tips and advice on the order i should start learning would be veryyyy helpful. Thanks
A couple of my friends have done that transition. They get really good really fast.
What really pisses me of is when they say "guitar is such an easy instrument, you guitarists are idiots." I do like how other instruments dont translate well, it makes me look good.

And yeah, the theory translates well too. Both guitar and piano are instruments that can play chords, so the theory we learn is sort of similar. Not like brass/woodwind instruments, who dont really learn chords the same way (they never have to play more than one note/voice of a chord).
There is one difference though. I've realised that I will see the fretboard in patterns, intervals and shapes more often than notes.