Page 1 of 2
I always heard that tube amps are better than SS ones.

Although, my budget isn't very high and I don't think I can afford good valve amps at that price.

Could you suggest me some good SS amps that fit my budget ?

I was thinking about the Crate FW series for instance...
Last edited by slappyx at Aug 11, 2008,
600 should get you a decent valve amp, what styles u play?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
''bad'' tube amp > good SS amp

Tell us your style.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I play a Schecter C1 classic.

I would like something quite versatile since I'm playing classic rock and also heavy/hard rock.

I'd like nice distorted tones but also a decent clean sound
Traynor YCV50Blue
Peavey Classic 30

Other such recommendations will follow....

Look used as well, this can really open up your options
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
lol... I knew everybody would recommand tube amps !

I heard Bugera amps are quite trendy in these times... Are they worth it ?
Bugeras are VERY high gain. Voiced for metal. The thing is, for classic/hard rock tones at your price range you CAN afford a suitable valve amp, so you know, why not get one lol
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
Bugeras are VERY high gain. Voiced for metal.

And for more classic, soft tones, what would you suggest ?
Look for a used Marshall DSL401. Perfect for classic rock, and with an overdrive pedal it can acheive metal nicely.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Used Traynor YCV40WR or 50BLUE, maybe? You MAY need an OD pedal to get as heavy as you'd like, but they're certainly worth looking at.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Used Traynor YCV40WR or 50BLUE, maybe? You MAY need an OD pedal to get as heavy as you'd like, but they're certainly worth looking at.

I love your avatar SRV is teh man!
^

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by slappyx
I'm playing classic rock and also heavy/hard rock.

I'd like nice distorted tones but also a decent clean sound

For a solid state amp I was going to suggest a Line 6 Flextone, but based on the styles you play, you'd be a good cannidate for a tube amp. A used Peavey classic 30, or Tiny Terror would probably do you right.
I would say a Classic 30 or Traynor as well. YCV 40 and 50 are well in your range on the used market. $425-500 typically. Leaves room for a good pedal or two used.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Line 6 Flextone series

This one is a modeling amp isn't it ? Is it better than Valvetronix ones ?
You guys got to get off the same old amps...
Marshall Mosfet 100 lead. 100 watts, FX loop, two channel.
Marshall sound, SS price. Through a 1936 cab w/V30's, you dont need much more than that.
/thread
Quote by Kozlic
''bad'' tube amp > good SS amp

Tell us your style.

FAIL.

There are terrible tube amps and great SS amps!
Classic 30 (crank the preamp gain for 80ish metal)

If you want real thick chunkierness, an OD pedal should be fine.
those traynors are also nice.

A Crate palomino with an od would be a simaliar yet equally good alternative if you can't find a C30
Quote by demea
You guys got to get off the same old amps...
Marshall Mosfet 100 lead. 100 watts, FX loop, two channel.
Marshall sound, SS price. Through a 1936 cab w/V30's, you dont need much more than that.
/thread

There's no reason to "get off the same old amps" if they are good suggestions for what the TS wants. It's better than suggesting an amp that maybe won't be as good just for the sake of mixing it up a bit.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by slappyx
This one is a modeling amp isn't it ? Is it better than Valvetronix ones ?

Yup its a modeling amp... As for better, have never played a Valvetronix so dont know but i know there are alot of people that prefer them over the Valvetronix but i think it depends on the genre of music you play and prefrence.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
There's no reason to "get off the same old amps" if they are good suggestions for what the TS wants. It's better than suggesting an amp that maybe won't be as good just for the sake of mixing it up a bit.

He asked for a SS amp, though.
Everyone is suggesting tube amps.
Quote by demea
He asked for a SS amp, though.
Everyone is suggesting tube amps.

He actually changed his tune about 5 posts in..

"lol... I knew everybody would recommand tube amps !

I heard Bugera amps are quite trendy in these times... Are they worth it ?"

Which is why most people are posting about them... And not everyone is recommending tube amps, I added some SS amps in there as well..
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Which is why most people are posting about them... And not everyone is recommending tube amps, I added some SS amps in there as well..

Thank you

My preference for SS amps was all about budget... If I can get decent tube amps for the price, I'm not against, on the contrary...
Quote by IbanezPsycho

He only asked (from what you quoted) if they were worth it, but whatever

Marshall's Mosfet amps are fantastic at any price point, really. I dont think they've been mentioned twice on here.
Thats all I meant when I said "get off the same amps", not that the the suggested amps were any better or worse than mine.

Lets agree to disagree
And good tube amps are well within budget. Especially used.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
If I take the Peavey C30 or Travnor YCV50, should I add some OD/DS pedals ? Such as Ibanez Tubescreamer or ProCo Rat ?
I also saw Boss OD-20 Drive-Zone (all-in-one OD/DS pedal)... Is it a good one to add ?
2 word.

Traynor DG60R ( or d )

This amp is the sex but you will need an noise gate. Will cost around 460.

Its come whit a celestion 30. Mine came whit a red coat but i got a 2003 model
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by forsaknazrael
Depends on what you're trying to do/play..

As I stated in the beginning of the thread, I like to play different styles, from Pink Floyd, Deep Purple classic rock to heavy rock/metal like Pantera, CoB...
^It'll handle all the classic rock and lower gain stuff well, and even get up into higher gains on its own, probably. You may need an OD for something like Pantera, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by slappyx
As I stated in the beginning of the thread, I like to play different styles, from Pink Floyd, Deep Purple classic rock to heavy rock/metal like Pantera, CoB...

oh, totally spaced on that for some reason.

yeah, on its own, it'll be able handle all the stuff up to classic and hard rock. Once you get into metal territory, you're going to want to stack an OD on top of the amp's overdrive.
Which music do you play more?
Quote by forsaknazrael
oh, totally spaced on that for some reason.

yeah, on its own, it'll be able handle all the stuff up to classic and hard rock. Once you get into metal territory, you're going to want to stack an OD on top of the amp's overdrive.
Which music do you play more?

I play more hard rock but I guess I'll just have to buy a MT-2 pedal or something like that to get that metal tone I'm looking for
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why would you buy that? It's awful.

Just use an OD on top of the amp. or buy a good distortion pedal.

Wouldn't it sound weird to put the OD over the amp OD ?
I thought MT-2 pedal was good for metal though... What would be for YOU a "good" DS pedal ?
Page 1 of 2