Hey guys. I'm looking for a guitar that can play metal, but also sounds nice clean. Decent stock pickups would be nice, but I can always swap them out at a later date. I'm going to be using this guitar for college etc., so a stratty shape (or something similar) would be preferable. Thin neck, tune-o-matic bridge, 24 frets are a must, with a large radius preferably. I have a few ideas but I'd prefer to ask than to buy something then go "Ah no, I forgot about the x "

I have a budget of about £400

Thanks
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Firewind Raging at Aug 11, 2008,
This doesnt have the strat shape but it does produce good metal/clean tones and it has stock dirmarzio pickups on it

thats the guitar i own
I do not know how 400 pounds (?) would convert to US dollars...

but the Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR is amazing for $850

It has an original floyd rose

Emg 81 and i believe the neck is 89

they both have the push/pull coil tap which lets you switch from humbucker to single coil pickup

all available finishes are amazing

Hope this helps
Quote by McCheese
Washburn x-50 Pro/FE

Schecter Demon

Edit: The Schecter neck may be too thick for you although I have a Schecter and it's not nearly as bad as everyone says.

The Washburn was one of the guitars I had considered, but I'd never heard much about the neck other than "It's fast". Also, there are NO Washburn dealers in these parts, so even trying one out would be a pain. We have a Schecter dealer in town, so I'll head down later and see what they have.
Quote by FordDal
This doesnt have the strat shape but it does produce good metal/clean tones and it has stock dirmarzio pickups on it

thats the guitar i own

I think I'd look a bit daft at a college show with that. I NEED a tune-o-matic bridge, as I'll probably be using E, Drop D and come open tunings.
Ibanez RG655
Blackstar HT-5
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Jackson MG Series DXMG Dinky, realy good pickups for metal.

I've also tried the Ibanez RG420EG Which has a great sound but the pattern etched into the guitar anoys me, looks cool though.

Both guitars are £350 about

I would say Ibanez S470 but its only got 22 frets
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Last edited by mightmuffin at Aug 11, 2008,
Check out anything in the "C-1" line by Schecter... I'd recommend the Hellraiser like a lot of people do... but the EMGs aren't terribly versatile and lack/sound sterile when they are clean.

C-1 Classic
C-1 Plus
C-1 Exotic Star
Quote by mightmuffin
Jackson MG Series DXMG Dinky, realy good pickups for metal.

I've also tried the Ibanez RG420EG Which has a great sound but the pattern etched into the guitar anoys me, looks cool though.

Both guitars are £350 about

I would say Ibanez S470 but its only got 22 frets

And they both have trems, which I don't want
Thanks though
Ibanez RG655
Blackstar HT-5
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Guys He Said A Tune-o-matic Bridge, Not A Floyd Rose!

Quote by Firewind Raging
The Washburn was one of the guitars I had considered, but I'd never heard much about the neck other than "It's fast". Also, there are NO Washburn dealers in these parts, so even trying one out would be a pain. We have a Schecter dealer in town, so I'll head down later and see what they have.

Most online sites offer a money back/refund/return within a certain amount of days.

you could always order a Washburn and try it out (I can almost guarantee you'd like it) and if you don't like it just return it.
Last edited by McCheese at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by Firewind Raging
And they both have trems, which I don't want
Thanks though

You don't want a trem? damn i love trems *hugs whammy bar*
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by postmortem2006
Oh ****, my bad!

In which case, a Jackson DXMGT. I'm certain you can get those for around £400.

I'm not entirely sure you can buy those... They're not on the jackson site.

You may be able to find a secondhan or cheap DKMGT for £400 though.
Hhmm, I think I'd prefer a set neck or neck thru. Not really a fan of bolt ons, except from maybe the super-comfy Ibanez ones.

I'm seriously considering the Washburn X50 Pro, but I can't decide which colour I like best; the Quilted Wine Burst or the Transparent Blue
Ibanez RG655
Blackstar HT-5
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Firewind Raging
Hhmm, I think I'd prefer a set neck or neck thru. Not really a fan of bolt ons, except from maybe the super-comfy Ibanez ones.

I'm seriously considering the Washburn X50 Pro, but I can't decide which colour I like best; the Quilted Wine Burst or the Transparent Blue

Don't just decide the colour from online site photos. They're often retouched or taken in a strange light. best thing to do is a google search of home photos of the guitar.
Quote by McCheese
Don't just decide the colour from online site photos. They're often retouched or taken in a strange light. best thing to do is a google search of home photos of the guitar.

Oh I know, guitars usually look so much better in real life than the mock photos on the internet. I have home photos of both, and they both look amazing. It's a tough choice

Ibanez RG655
Blackstar HT-5
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Firewind Raging at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by Firewind Raging
Oh I know, guitars usually look so much better in real life than the mock photos on the internet. I have home photos of both, and they both look amazing. It's a tough choice

Whatever you choose though (seeing as you like em both), you won't regret it and probably won't give a second though to the other colour once you get used to it. I know I haven't with any guitar I've bought.
Well looks like a nice new Washburn X50 Pro will be making it's way to me in the near future

Thanks for the help man
Ibanez RG655
Blackstar HT-5
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey

LTD MH 400 NT

LTD H 500
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
My bad, I was too lazy to convert the currency.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)