Hello UG,
I need to decide between two guitars based on your opinions. I love both but have money for only one.
The two are the BC Rich Outlaw PXT3
NOTE: The grey bits are badly pohotgraphed reflections caused by a carved top
http://www.bcrich.com/outlaw_pxt3.html

or the Epiphone Firebird Studio
http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=264&CollectionID=18
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Hmm well it depends on what style of music you want to play... I think the Epi will be a bit better quality tho. If you're into a lot of metal and hard rock, get the Rich, but if you play other styles, I would get the Epiphone.
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
What are you looking to play on the guitar?

Country? Jazz? Rock? Metal?

I've not heard either guitar before, but based on the specs and looks, the Epi looks like it should used for low to moderate gain and distortion, naunce-based playing. Whereas the the BC looks a little more slanted towards medium to high gain riffing. These difference in themselves would impact what you use it for.
clearly the epiphone! BC rich is not very good quality..
Gibson LP Studio
Epiphone SG Vibrato
Santana Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Fender Mini Twin
Jim Donlup Cry Baby

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
Quote by Steve Plod
Hmm well it depends on what style of music you want to play...

+1

Can you try them out instore?
Alright the music i play with those varies greatly. Audioslave, Foo fighters, queens of the stone age, metallica, rage against the machine, deep purple...
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Last edited by Simonwalker at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by farlige-john1

Total rubbish...

Low end BC Richs are poor, however their higher models are superb... The Outlaw here has original floyd and decent pickups...

Ever played one? Epiphone make plenty of bad instrument themselves...

As pointed out, the BC Rich is for heavier stuff really, but i'd say it would clean up okay - go for whichever one suits your style...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by farlige-john1

bandwaggon much?
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
BC Rich have improved a lot recently. The best way about it is to try them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Firebird had a huge neck...I played an 80's Gibson Firebird, and from the 12th fret up it would put a baseball bat to shame... It also felt mighty unbalanced and had a bad case of 'neck dive'.
Epiphone, in my opinion BC rich has yet to impress me and I've given them loads of chances.

Besides firebirds are sweet :P

PLEASE try and play them in store first though. I've never seen the epiphone before. and I'm pretty sure I've played the BC rich and it was sub par. Left much to be desired
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Well i've tried the epi and it rocked, except it's slightly annoying playing it siting down. The Bc Rich isn't available in the store atm and order will takes 2 weeks.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
The main thing based on the hardware should i order the Bc Rich or buy the Epi now. My main concern is that i won't have anything to play metallica on it. Would a pup change change that?
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
well, i would go for the bc rich because it has more features and better tone(for my style of music)

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Simonwalker
Alright the music i play with those varies greatly. Audioslave, Foo fighters, queens of the stone age, metallica, rage against the machine, deep purple...

Didn't Dave Grohl used to/still does use Firebirds?

I'd go with the Epi personally, because I've nothing but bad experiences with B.C. Rich.
dude the epi, they are great guitars for the price and i have personally played the firebird and as long as u have an amp that can do all ur styles of music the epi can sound killer. i have personally thought of buyin the epi many times and i own a Gibson SG, just make sure u play as many of em as u can in the store and get the one that feels best to u.

good luck
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by farlige-john1

XD and epiphone is? Every epiphone I had, has had problems. As well as people I know.

I'll get the BC rich for sure.
Quote by Simonwalker
The main thing based on the hardware should i order the Bc Rich or buy the Epi now. My main concern is that i won't have anything to play metallica on it. Would a pup change change that?

If that's your style, get the BC rich.

It's a way better quality guitar. Epiphone's always have neck problems, nut problems, pick up problems. After a while they short out and you have to soder them. It's happened to every epiphone I"ve known.
Quote by Simonwalker

Yes. But What kind of amp do you have? Tube, hybrid, solid-state?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Yeah the firebird will do metallica no prob, with the proper amp that is.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
i haven't played a bc rich recently, but i've never been thrilled with what they've done.
same goes for epiphone.
but, since you seem to have a range of influences, many of which are not metal, i'd go with the epiphone. mahogany is a nice sounding wood (though i've played on basses made of basswood, and they're not bad.
the main problem with the bc rich in regards to tone is that the pickups are going to be rather one dimensional (based on the other models i've played). they cater towards metalheads, and will have a good high gain sound with no cleans.
the epiphone will get a better clean and a tone better suited for classic rock or alternative stuff. and it'd be a safe bet to say the epiphone's neck will be a good deal fatter.
so it really depends what you want to play more of. if you lean to the heavy stuff, bc rich. if you only play metal occasionally, the epiphone. as for pickups, i'd take the time to really get to know the guitar you get before even considering swapping the pickups. then do some research on them. if you put in the wrong ones, you can return the pickups (at least if they're seymour's), but unless you put them in yourself, you'd still be stuck with the bill for the guitar tech.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Didn't Dave Grohl used to/still does use Firebirds?

I'd go with the Epi personally, because I've nothing but bad experiences with B.C. Rich.

Yep Dave Grohl used firebird a number of times, can be seen in the vid of the pretender.

Quote by Snake™
Yes. But What kind of amp do you have? Tube, hybrid, solid-state?

I've got a tube, with the cleans meant to sound like fender and overdrive made to sound like marshall. I use a Electro-Harmonix Pocket Metal Muff for whenever i venture to Metallica- land. But i don't play any other metal bands and i still feel kinda scared of metallica stuff.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I say firebird for sure then.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Based on your list of musical influences.

I'd go for the Epi as well. While I'm not entirely sure about the construction quality. The tone of the Epi would be better suited to your styles of music as compared to the BC.
Quote by Simonwalker

For this kind of style I would suggest the Epi. I have it myself and our band plays stoner metal / rock and it fits the music perfectly. I use my Ibanez if I want to play metal.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Those are like, two opposite guitars. If you play classic to hard rock and softer, i'd say epipone. If you want to play heavier stuff, go for the b.c. rich.
get one of the older epi firebirds off of ebay
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Simonwalker
Yep Dave Grohl used firebird a number of times, can be seen in the vid of the pretender.

It's a Gibson though. It's stupid to buy a guitar based on shape if it's no where near the guitar ______ uses, I've been guilty of this in the past myself.
I like the bc rich looks cool and the specs are good. Im not sure why they have such a bad rep, is it just a quality control thing? If you get it and its badly set up couldn't you just take it to a pro for a set up? I would take my guitar in for a set up no matter what it was anyway.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
no, it isn't the setup. it's cheap wood, cheap electronics, cheap hardware, and pointy impractically shaped guitars that won't sit on a stand right. and half the paint jobs look like bad tattoos.
my first guitar was a warlock. had chipped paint on the bottom points because it hit the ground even in a stand.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
no, it isn't the setup. it's cheap wood, cheap electronics, cheap hardware, and pointy impractically shaped guitars that won't sit on a stand right. and half the paint jobs look like bad tattoos.
my first guitar was a warlock. had chipped paint on the bottom points because it hit the ground even in a stand.

aw fair enough lol, I only like the look of the super strat shaped ones like the gunslinger and the one mentioned in the thread. I will check them out at gak one day to see what i think.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
some of the higher end ones aren't bad, but you could do better with ibanez or jackson. or, hell, gibson. those worn cherry and mahogany les pauls are some of the best guitars i've played for under a grand. i think they'd run about $800 with a hardshell case.
then again, i forget what your price range is right now. might be a little much.