http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/Metal+fans+more+prone+to+mental+illness/newsandfeatures/contentposting_ontherecord?isfa=1&newsitemid=87eb6509-72ef-4b31-a5b6-896de888ab2a&feedname=MusicNewsBlog&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

sound familiar?:

Metal fans more prone to mental illness

by Elizabeth Bromstein
What your musical preferences say about you

We are shocked, shocked I tell you, at the Gigwise report that metal fans are at risk for mental illness and depression. The story is that a study published in this week's Australasian Psychiatry journal claims "teenagers who listen to heavy metal are big on unprotected sex, self-harm and shoplifting."

The brief note does not differentiate between nu metal, old school, thrash metal, death metal, black metal and glam metal and we are left to wonder whether Judas Priest fans are equally as likely to shoplift as Megadeth fans, or if Evanescence fans are as depressed as Hatebreed fans. Questions questions. I need more information. A quest to access the actual journal article online leads to nothing but frustration.

Meanwhile fans of pop have to deal with "curiosity about their sexuality and worries about peer-acceptance," which is interesting because you'd think all teens would be curious about their sexuality but obviously metal fans are too busy being self destructive to dwell on it much while dance music fans are too busy doing drugs. Yes, "those who listen to dance indulge in more drug use, no matter what their socio-economic background is." Can you believe it!?

"Jazz fans struggle with social acceptance, usually settling down as misfits and 'loners.' Rap fans are also keen on theft, violence and anger, according to the study." I know! Me neither! Wait...back up...teenage jazz fans? Really? OK. (Maybe they mean "jazz FAN" singular. And that's why he's a loner. Or perhaps teenagers are cooler than I thought)

Nothing, says Gigwise, was mentioned about punk or alternative - where they would likely find common propensities for sulking and hair products.

We're wondering about the chicken or egg question. You know, do metal fans shoplift because they listen to metal or do they listen to metal because they shoplift? I can't think of any metal tunes with references to five finger discounts – unlike references to losing your marbles like Ozzy Osbourne going off the rails on a crazy train - but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there.

Anyway, not sure what they're telling us with this one. Take away your kid's Pantera albums? Or if you happen to find 'Cowboys From Hell' lying around the house, hide the knives?

right..
It's aggressive kids listening to aggressive music. It's not the music making the kids aggressive.

I know more 'gangstas' that take drugs and steal than metal fans. Also, oddly enough, at my school, everyone loves jazz. I'm one of the few that doesn't know it very well.
i guess i am the only jazz fan but w/e i love metal to.
metalheads know what they are sexual wise and DGAF whether there accepted or not.
we just want to beat the **** out of something most of the time
Quote by caskettheclown
i guess i am the only jazz fan but w/e i love metal to.
metalheads know what they are sexual wise and DGAF whether there accepted or not.
we just want to beat the **** out of something most of the time

WE? I love metal, and I'm non violent, so don't include me in your retard stereotype group. If you were being serious.
I do wonder how they conducted this study and how many teenagers they actually asked.

Did they go to a Megadeth gig and ask a bunch of audience members if they shoplift? Or did they just get moshed on and decided to call them depressed shoplifters?

I like metal, and I've never done drugs, stolen anything or been in a fight.
Quote by Sunny Afternoon
Call us old fashioned, but us metalheads 'round here just like to listen to metal.

i second this notion.

this stuffs stupid.
damn stereotypes.
I'm sure emo-haters are gonna have a hard time from now on.

"Actual australian studies have shown that metal fans are more inclined to deliberately hurt themselves. LOOKS WHO'S SLITTING WRISTS NOW"
Quote by theshroomman
or if Evanescence fans are as depressed as Hatebreed fans.

What. The. Fuck.
It annoys me that these psychologists and doctors fail to apply common sense. As in, people who are "big on unprotected sex, self-harm and shoplifting" listen to metal, instead of someone listening to metal and then doing those things.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
What. The. Fuck.
It annoys me that these psychologists and doctors fail to apply common sense. As in, people who are "big on unprotected sex, self-harm and shoplifting" listen to metal, instead of someone listening to metal and then doing those things.
The conclusion of the paper says:
Studies have found a relationship between various genres of music and antisocial behaviours, vulnerability to suicide, and drug use. However, studies reject that music is a causal factor and suggest that music preference is more indicative of emotional vulnerability. A limited number of studies have found correlations between music preference and mental health status. More research is needed to determine whether music preferences of those with diagnosed mental health issues differ substantially from the general adolescent population.
So you agree with them.
I think the study it a crock. It used a very small sample of society that listens to music and makes generalizations about that. They study only students on the 10th grade, what a joke. First off, show me a teenager who is not angst ridden, feeling unsure of themselves, and sometimes sad or depressed I will show you someone who is not a teenager. You could kinda make conclusions about how teens and young adults would have emotions that relate to the music they listen to but they grow up, keep listening to the same music. The study needed to be much broader to include people in all age ranges and include socio-economic factors, like parental income, employment, level of socialibility (how often do they go out to hang with friends nad what do they do when out), and a variety of other factors.

And as likely noted by others already, people of all ages listen to metal. To ignore that is just lazy research. Also most people listen to all kinds of music, not just one genre. The study on the face of it stinks.
Quote by smb
The conclusion of the paper says:
So you agree with them.

I'm blaming Bush for this.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
WE? I love metal, and I'm non violent, so don't include me in your retard stereotype group. If you were being serious.

Yeah really, I don't understand this whole metal-violence relationship it has going on.

And why the hell do people even like to mosh? Like beating the **** out of eachother and stuff. Where's the fun in that?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Okay Elizabeth, let's just ignore the research that proves that most of the kids with high grades are into metal, and that most people with high grades don't steal.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by ItWillDo
Yeah really, I don't understand this whole metal-violence relationship it has going on.

And why the hell do people even like to mosh? Like beating the **** out of eachother and stuff. Where's the fun in that?

The beating the crap out of each other bit isn't fun. It's done by idiots.

The bouncing and headbanging and crowdsurfing is what it's all about.