Ok, I play an Epiphone Les Paul rotating between playing generally fast ska in a band, blues and heavier rock if i'm in the mood. I have always used the thinner gauge Dean Markleys or Ernie Ball Super Slinky. But in the last month, where i've actually used m,y guitar less and transported it less i've managed to break top E thrice all of which were super slinkies. I doubt it's my playing style as it hasnt changed in an age although the constant upstrokes cannot help. Do I just need thicker strings or is there a particular brand to look up?
Any help appreciated.
D'addario ! FTW
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Thicker strings.

Super Slinkies are what? .09's? Plus what's the first string that you hit on those ska upbeats? High E?

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Move up to Regular Slinkies.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
elixer, .10's
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
GHS boomers?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Use heavier strings, Ernie ball regular or power slinky sets for example. I've never broken ernie ball strings, and i have a very upstrokey style.

I wouldn't imagine the les paul being ideal for ska in its stock form but it sounds like thats not what your problem is so i'll just say nothing
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Use heavier strings, Ernie ball regular or power slinky sets for example. I've never broken ernie ball strings, and i have a very upstrokey style.

I wouldn't imagine the les paul being ideal for ska in its stock form but it sounds like thats not what your problem is so i'll just say nothing

les pauls are great ska guitars.

Just alittle heavy on the shoulder when you're trying to be high energy
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
les pauls are great ska guitars.

Just alittle heavy on the shoulder when you're trying to be high energy

I worded my post a bit wrong because i wasn't really concentrating lol - what i meant was I can't see how it manages to work so well for ska, but i'm aware that it does.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
heavier strings would make a cleaner, fuller sound, and stop you from breaking strings. I gotta agree with the others; D'Addario ftw.
I love the warm tone I get out of it for ska, suits beautifully, does get a bit heavy after you've been bouncing round for a while, I'm going to go ahead and try a set of Power Slinkys, then if that's to no avail I'll crack out some d'addarios
Elixers are good when your playing ska chords and you wanna slide, which happens to be alot
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120