So, I was watching a video on YouTube of Paul Gilbert talking about his favourite new Ibanezes he had made (which were gorgeous), and he got to an altered PG301. Beneath his bridge pup, he had placed some foam under it. He said Satch taught him this as a method of controlling feedback when playing on stage, for playing at high gain levels, or soloing. Now, when I'm on stage, I often just use my Decimator, which does a nice job, but I often have it set to a high level, which affects my tone a lot.
Anyway, my guitar has a set of EMGs, and would it be possible to try this? Well, of course it would, but how well would it work? Paul's guitar had no plating, and passive DiMarzios. Is there any chance I will mess up my pups, and/or it won't work for me? Has anyone tried this? Thanks, and sorry for the bad grammar, but I've been up all night.

Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Can you link the video?
I'm curious about this
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I've never really herd about that. The closest thing i've seen was placing foam between the strings and body next to the bridge but that was for get a "palm" muted sound.

Why don't you show us a link to the vid so we can see exactly what it is? Also, EMG active pickups are noisier because they're high output pickups. If you just wanna use your sound gate and not have it change your tone too much why don't you lower the volume knob on the guitar?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Why don't you show us a link to the vid so we can see exactly what it is? Also, EMG active pickups are noisier because they're high output pickups. If you just wanna use your sound gate and not have it change your tone too much why don't you lower the volume knob on the guitar?

EMG actives aren't as noisy as passives that have the same amount of output because they have a built in pre-amp, and turning down the volume knob would clean his signal up.