Too often I hear people who seem to have confused the ideas of "drawing inspiration from a musician" and simply mimicking someone.

I have no problem with people who use certain ideas and concepts of another musician and work it into their own style. This is actually how many artists came to be as unique as they are. I understand, and actually encourage, using others as an influence and using things they do that you enjoy and making it part of your own style.

My problem lies with those that look at a famous musician and they just simply copy and/or rip them off. I see and hear too many people playing exactly what someone else plays.

This irritates me a lot. I believe that music is personal and should be different for each musician. I think that being creative is one of the criteria of being a musician. An individual should be able to take pre-existing concepts and use their own ideas to make things unique to them.

I could continue typing several pages of issues and concerns concerning this topic, even citing specific examples to prove my point, but I hope that you understand what I am trying to explain.
Equipment:
---Ibanez RG5EX1 & Montage
---DigiTech RP250 & Jamman Stereo
---Stagg S300 (The 'S' is for Sucks)
---Yamaha G-55A

Please view my deviantArt page.
I have some pictures of a few of my guitars.
I totally understand
Its like when people call Airbourne an AC/DC ripoff
When its clear that they have drawn inspiration from them and just want to make the music they want

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'd say that people who just 'rip-off' other musicians simply do so because they haven't got a good grasp of musical theory and therefore can't piss around with it.

Pissing around with riffs from other bands is usually the gateway to writing new riffs and songs I find.
So are you saying that it annoys you if some one learns a famous guitarists song, and they dont put theyre own creative "spin" on it
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
You know... i personally think i play quite similar to Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor from Tool (yes, i write guitar and bass parts for my songs) but at the same time have my own "style."

I normally complain about it, but mostly everyone who hears my ideas like them. I guess i'm doing something right.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by guitarplaya322
So are you saying that it annoys you if some one learns a famous guitarists song, and they dont put theyre own creative "spin" on it

No, not really. read it more carefully.
I agree. With many bands, you can easily point out who their number one influence is. Bands' influences are having to much presence in the music, and it often ends up sounding like a copy. Musicians are all different, so it doesn't make sense to completely copy a style, otherwise you're just being fake.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by Drew_Entreri
Too often I hear people who seem to have confused the ideas of "drawing inspiration from a musician" and simply mimicking someone.

I have no problem with people who use certain ideas and concepts of another musician and work it into their own style. This is actually how many artists came to be as unique as they are. I understand, and actually encourage, using others as an influence and using things they do that you enjoy and making it part of your own style.

My problem lies with those that look at a famous musician and they just simply copy and/or rip them off. I see and hear too many people playing exactly what someone else plays.

This irritates me a lot. I believe that music is personal and should be different for each musician. I think that being creative is one of the criteria of being a musician. An individual should be able to take pre-existing concepts and use their own ideas to make things unique to them.

I could continue typing several pages of issues and concerns concerning this topic, even citing specific examples to prove my point, but I hope that you understand what I am trying to explain.

Explain.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
in some cases i find it hard to make influences come through without ripping someone off, although i can make 2 different styles flow into each other seamlessly...for example, i have been writing songs for a doom metal band for a year, and whilst i have combined 2 particular styles of the genre, it is very obvious where my influences come from (however now i have come up with some ideas, blending more ideas, yes, but doing it in such a way that i believe will make things unique)

i don't particularly have a problem with someone using riffs from another bands style, but mixing them with others, my problem is when people directly copy a riffing style, especially when there's 1284938289334 bands that do it.
but truely, the only reason i'm not happy with just mixing the styles of a few bands is because i want to be better than that
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
You gotta learn from other people, but be yourself. People steal licks from each other all the time, but they don't steal each others identity.

If you think about it, 90% of all rock solos contain the same pentatonic licks we've all heard before. Hell, even Satriani, Vai, Petrucci and all those virtuoso people use these licks all the time, but the overall solo doesn't sound like it's been stolen from someone.
Don't pigeon-hole people.

Certain people play simply as a hobby and to play the songs of their favourite bands. Others play to be more individual.

Just because someone wants to sound like a particular guitarist doesn't demean them in any way whatsoever.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius
Don't pigeon-hole people.

Certain people play simply as a hobby and to play the songs of their favourite bands. Others play to be more individual.

Just because someone wants to sound like a particular guitarist doesn't demean them in any way whatsoever.

I agree with this about people who just play as a hobby, however there are pro musicians that sound alike.

If you think about it, all guitarists that have stood the test of time had their own distinctive style. Even if it wasn't groundbreaking or innovative, they still have a recognisable playing style (see: Angus Young). Players who don't sound distinctive all begin to sound alike. That's what separates, say, Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoads from Generic Heavy Metal Guitarist #425.

Everyone is capable of developing their own style, but not many people do it. If people play music to express themselves, why would they choose NOT to do their own thing?
For some people it's not a conscious decision to sound like someone else. For example, from the songs I've written it's pretty obvious I listen to a hell of a lot of Megadeth, but I don't go out to write songs that sound like Megadeth, it's just how it happens.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking