Greetings...I'm a new member of this forum and very glad to have found it. I've picked up some great advice already.

Here's my story: I want to buy a hollow or semi-hollow body such as the Ibanez Artcore series but no amp. I'm a recording engineer with a decent home studio so my plan is to run the guitar through a DI into my mixer. I have a Lexicon effects unit in my rack if I want to play around with verb, etc. I don't want an amp because, as a beginner, I have no intention of playing/practicing anywhere but in my studio until I have developed some proficiency! I've always liked the sound of players like Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Jim Hall and others in that vein.

Questions:
1. Can anyone recommend a good DI? My recording experience is mostly of classical music so I don't see a lot of direct boxes. Of the few I have seen, the Whirlwinds seem to be pretty good. I use a lot of Whirlwind cables and splitters and they just work with no problems.

2. Any thoughts on the Ibanez Artcore series? I've read a lot of good things about them and the price is right!

3. What about strings? Is there a particular kind of string jazz players prefer over the stock strings?

4. I've read a lot about setting up a new guitar. How important is this for a beginner and how much should I expect to pay a guitar shop to do it?
There's gonna be one problem, you are running it direct into the DI without running it through an amp which means that it won't sound as good as it could as amps are about 70-80% of the tone.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
to answer your string question, i believe they ofter use a flat wound, if im correct its because they make far less string noise for smoother playing. not pos but im pretty sure.

as far as setting up a guitar, mine came perfect and i havent had anyone touch it because i love it how it is without any adjustments. if its not what you like have it set up.
The artcore series for the price is a good deal if you like the hollowbody idea. I say you're ace there.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I know nothing of any of the studio stuff you mentioned sorry.

However, I have played an Ibanez Artcore very frequently and I LOVE them. It was not an accident that when I spelled LOVE I put it in all caps. I did that because I LOVE the Ibanez Artcore series. Again the capitalization there was not a mistake either. Seriously though, for the money these things are amazing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I know nothing of any of the studio stuff you mentioned sorry.

However, I have played an Ibanez Artcore very frequently and I LOVE them. It was not an accident that when I spelled LOVE I put it in all caps. I did that because I LOVE the Ibanez Artcore series. Again the capitalization there was not a mistake either. Seriously though, for the money these things are amazing.

Totally agree with you on that one. I used to LOVE mine too, but I sold it. It can even do metal, but it feeds back a lot, so I sold it. Nonetheless it is a great guitar imo.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
running a guitar straight to a mixer through a DI is gonna sound awful, as has been said before, the majority of the tone is in the amp. the DI signal will sound weak, scratchy and lack warmth. the amp and speaker sculpts the frequency spectrum of a guitar into what we know and love as a "guitar" sound.