Which one do you think is better? If you had to pick one, what would you choose and why?
The fender consists of an alder body and a rosewood fingerboard. The Squier consists of an agathis body and an ebonol fingerboard.
i know rosewood is really soft, not sure bout ebanol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
That Squier VM jazz is TERRIBLE. I played the fretted, but I assume the fretless is even worse.

The neck is wider than any 5-string bass I have ever seen. The pickups are great for the money, they are active, and the bass does have a snap/pop mode switch which adds even more oomph to your sound.

I originally bought one of these as my first bass....I returned it within a week and got a Fender Jazz.

I don't know what a Fender MIM is, but I assume it's "Mexican made". I own a standard mexican Jazz, and it kicks the **** out of anything in its price range IMHO.

And cannot stress it enough how terrible the "ebanol" fretboard is. I cannot even put it into words what it feels like to the fingers, it's so obviously artifical that you will always be conscious of it. The bass is ok for a beginner, but anyone who knows how to play anything on a bass deserves better. Getting a squier VM 5 string is a huge mistake. I did play the Squier VM 4 string jazz, and that it was ok, but if you are willing to spedn $300 now on a bass, anr't you willing to spend $600 a little later to get a real fender?
Last edited by Anjohl at Aug 11, 2008,
I understand where you are coming from and I own the squier vm jazz and imo it is a great bass for a squier. I definetly compare it to a fender mim (made in mexico) jazz. But, I'm not sure if the fretless version would compare to the fretless mim. I was thinking of getting a fretless bass soon so if anyone has any suggestions besides the fender mim, I would appreciate it.
The Mexican Fneder Fretless is wonderful. The neck is like silk, and the line markings make it easy to play. I am only starting to paly bass, after palying guitar for 15 years, so the bigger frets and fingerstyle are new to me, but the Fender fretless almost tempted me.

I LOVE the sound slides make on it, and the subtle differences in tone, and the effect you get when moving from one fret to another.

When I went in to order my fender std jazz, they had one int he EXACT color I wanted, a little cheaper than the one I was ordering. It was fretless, and my instructor said to steer away from a fretless for your first bass, but wow was I tempted. What a beautiful instrument. Go give one a try, see what you think.
The Squier.

Easily.

For the cost, it's simply made better. Get one used and shave off even more price.

The ebanol board is plenty strong.

The agathis body resonates decently, sounds alright, and doesn't even look too bad. The bass is made/setup great, and just as good out of the box as an MIM.

Don't assume Fender = win. Pick the better bass.
haha
The ebonol is strong, but it's also plastic that is designed to aesthetically be like ebony. It definitely has a synthetic, plasticy feel in my opinion. The better fretboard alone makes it worthwhile in my mind to go for the Fender.
The VM fretless is the exception to the VM rule. All the VMs are great except this one. It was a real wood fingerboard away from being superior, but it just can't compare. I was originally planning on getting the VM, but when I played it I really wasn't impressed and was gonna give up on the fretless idea because it was little more than a side-project and i didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. I was lucky enough to see that there was an MIM Fender fretless there that I tried out, and I'm glad I did. The Fender is just better. Better sound, better feel, and (though debatable) better looking. The ebanol is just horrid, and the agathis is lackluster, though it could have been forgiven otherwise. Its just best to save up a little more and get the MIM. I did and every time I play around on the VM for the hell of it (yes I play basses even if I don't like them, but to broaden my horizons and get a better idea of where they fit in in the world of bass) I'm very glad I held out for it. Its just plain better.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The ebonol is strong, but it's also plastic that is designed to aesthetically be like ebony. It definitely has a synthetic, plasticy feel in my opinion. The better fretboard alone makes it worthwhile in my mind to go for the Fender.

yeah, but the plastic is pretty close to the feel of what happens when you put boatloads of epoxy on a fingerboard.

Kinda like Jaco.
haha
I think they should have just gone with a coated fingerboard with the VM. The few I've played at GC just felt wrong....something just wasn't there. Maybe if they had some higher-grade ebonal it'd be ok, but not this stuff.
Nope, no sig here.
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm leaning toward the fender mim fretless because of the real wood neck. I have one more question: Do all fretless basses come with stock flatwounds?
Not to steal the thread or anything (i think TS may be interested anyway), but how do you think the Vintage Icon VJ96 compares to the Squier?
Quote by ccmetz2020
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm leaning toward the fender mim fretless because of the real wood neck. I have one more question: Do all fretless basses come with stock flatwounds?

All of the fretlesses I've played have and I would assume that almost all would.
could be wrong, but I believe that the VM comes with roundwounds and I know for a fact the MIM has flats. Other than that, not sure, though I'd assume flats for most, if not all of them (except maybe the jaco replica and/or relic basses, but those are a different story altogether)

FETTit:
VM specs on the Squier website give the strings as:
Fender Super 7250ML, p/n 073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
So yes, its ships with rounds

And just for the sake of reference, the MIM Fretless ships with
Stainless Steel Flatwound 9050M,
P/N 073-9050-006,
Gauges: (.055, .070, .090 .105)
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Last edited by Fett13 at Aug 11, 2008,
I just need to stress again how wonderful the Mexican Fretless Jazz sounds. I am a bass newb, but I am not a music newb, and it really sounds great. I intend on getting a fretless Jazz sometime next year, and then hopefully a Stingray the year after if my career goes as well as I hope.
The VM Fretless is a HUGE exception in a good way, but for different reasons.
I don't agree with any of the ragging on ebanol. I've had the Squier VMF for a year and it plays like a dream. The neck has the slender, fast Fender Jazz style that many enjoy, and I personally think the ebanol strings SING. I put black tapewound strings on so they wouldn't eat into the fretboard and the thing begs to be played. It doesn't feel like plastic, it gives a sleek look (retaining the fret markers) and still has the distinctive growl that I've personally come to love from Fender basses.
My only gripe would be to swap out the tuners, but I also haven't done any maintenance because I've been gigging and haven't sat down with it.

Save your money, the Squier is just as good if not better than the MIM.

If you're skeptical, play it and try it out! Why are you asking us when you could (possibly) play one and find out for yourself?
Last edited by tyler_coleman at Aug 21, 2008,
get the MIM, you be grateful that you got it in the ending

also i think schector makes some fretless' but they might be out of your price range
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Aug 21, 2008,