Yea, I know there are about 5000 first guitar threads, I've read most of them and still can't find what i'm looking for. I prefer classic rock/blues so that's where I'm going to start. I've never touched a guitar before so I'm trying to keep away from guitars with floyd's. I'm trying not to spend more than $400 on just the guitar (slightly more is ok.) As far as amps go, I live in an apartment complex so I'm not trying to buy anything super loud. I'm pretty set on picking up a microcube and getting something bigger/better later. These are the guitars I have in mind, but if anyone thinks there's something better please let me know.

Squier by Fender Obey HSS Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...072-i1147545.gc

Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG350MDX-Electric-Guitar-518871-i1167862.gc

Ibanez RG5EX1 Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc
Last edited by thfc1799 at Aug 11, 2008,
I say Ibanez RG350

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Well you can't say that any of them are really better than each other. These axes are all in the same ballpark. Actually, they're all in the same infield.

What you really should do is try them out in person and then just pick the one you like. Don't listen to what anybody else says, like "oh the sound in this one is way better" or "you shouldn't get that Strat, people think it's wierd". Just get what you want and what feels good to you.

Anyway, my personal pref would be the RG350, but that's just me. Get what you like.
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
Quote by thfc1799
any reason?

Squiers aren't fantastic value for money guitars, you'll pay a whole lot for a guitar that, really sounds cheap and jangly, no experience with the Ibanez though

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Steve Plod
Well you can't say that any of them are really better than each other. These axes are all in the same ballpark. Actually, they're all in the same infield.

What you really should do is try them out in person and then just pick the one you like. Don't listen to what anybody else says, like "oh the sound in this one is way better" or "you shouldn't get that Strat, people think it's wierd". Just get what you want and what feels good to you.

Anyway, my personal pref would be the RG350, but that's just me. Get what you like.

my problem is I've NEVER touched a guitar, and I don't know anyone who plays. So there really isn't anyway for me to play before I buy ya know? I really like the 350, but I've been reading alot of reviews that say it's an awesome metal guitar... does that mean it won't be any good playing blues or rock?
I like Ibanez the most out of the 4 you posted. also it is the most versify(spelling?) out of the 4. only real drawback is the Edge III on it. Most people here on UG will say it sucks but I think it is a good tremolo. maybe not as good as an Edge Pro or OFL but still good. You only need to learn how to set is up right.

That's the best guide for setting up a tremolo here on UG:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
You say you don't wanna mess with floyd's but two of the guitar's you've picked have a floyd.

I guess I'd pick the Obey Squier if you're into rock and blues. The pick ups on both Ibanez's are too heavy for blues but are good for rock and heavier and that's about it.

I don't really wanna mess with floyd's, but I'm trying to find a good guitar for the price... any other suggestions would be awesome.
My first guitar was a squire strat. Played it for years, and I have almost no complaints.

However, you're smart to want to say away from trem. My strat went out of tune ALL the time... essentially, it cripples your ability to play anything with bends in it. Sometimes all it would take is one bend to put the guitar out of tune.

In saying that, I think the strat is much better suited for classic rock/blues. An Ibanez is better suited for metal.

Perhaps a squire strat with some additional locking tuners (to help with the tuning problems) might be an option?

Matt

PS You said you can't try a guitar before you buy? Why? You could always go to a music store and try them out. I strongly suggest to try before you buy if it is at all possible.
Last edited by 0KEN0 at Aug 11, 2008,
i think that the ibanez i suggested is a good one because mine hardly ever goes out of tune and if it does its by only a little if i have been bending loads or something and it has a really comfy neck which makes learning much easier.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by 0KEN0
My first guitar was a squire strat. Played it for years, and I have almost no complaints.

However, you're smart to want to say away from trem. My strat went out of tune ALL the time... essentially, it cripples your ability to play anything with bends in it. Sometimes all it would take is one bend to put the guitar out of tune.

In saying that, I think the strat is much better suited for classic rock/blues. An Ibanez is better suited for metal.

Perhaps a squire strat with some additional locking tuners (to help with the tuning problems) might be an option?

Matt

PS You said you can't try a guitar before you buy? Why? You could always go to a music store and try them out. I strongly suggest to try before you buy if it is at all possible.

I can't try cause I can't play lol.
Quote by Steve Plod

i agree with every word u said
Quote by thfc1799
I can't try cause I can't play lol.

Well, there's two things I would say to that.

1. Pick it up anyway. Hold it in your hands, sit down with it. Place your hand on the fret board... just see how it feels. Is it comfortable? How does it compare to the feel of other guitars?

2. Ask a guitarist at the music store to sit down and play a few licks for you on a couple of guitars that you're interested in. Ask them to play the styles of music you'll be using the guitar for. This way you can judge the sound of the guitar.

(although keep in mind that the amp they play through is a big determining factor on the sound as well!)

On top of that, read as many reviews as you can (although, try to stay away from the reviews on music retail sites if you can).

Even with no experience, if you read reviews, have someone capable play the guitar, and hold the guitar yourself (to see if it feels comfortable), then you can still make a solid decision.

Matt
I'm gonna suggest an Epiphone G-400. If you can find the right one, it will play like a guitar of a much higher price.
I would say get a fender of some kind, good for your style and a standard telecaster or stratocaster would fit your style.

I would agree with the person that said go to the store and pick them up and sit with them and ask somebody to play some stuff for you (pref an employee) they'll point you in the right direction.

Don't tell them you have a budget of that much though, they'll take advantage of you.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I'd look at SX or Agile honestly. For the same budget you're proposing, you could get a decent clone of some sort and a pretty decent amp. If you're wanting something versatile in that regard you can get a set neck LP clone and like a Roland Micro Cube for around the same you're going to be spending for the guitar.

After that just take the guitar in for a set up or get a friend to do it for you. I think they also have a RG clone up there and Schecter C-1 clone up now as well for bargain prices. Really depends on what you want.
+10000000000000 on the agiles or SX you could spend $200 on a good agile ad get the quality of a $400 epiphone les paul and plus is only spend $200 on the guitar then you can settle on a good amp like the Orange 15
go for a yamaha pacifica they say there a great first guitar but go to the shop and try them all unless you like the look and the feel of it you will never know
my first guitar was a fender squier strat. i think it's a great one to learn on and comfortable to play. just my 2cents
i'd say take a good look at the SX's or Agile Al's on rondomusic.com. best value for the money imho
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
hey dude, the both of the ibanez have a tremolo similar to a floyd rose tremolo...so you might not want to get that...i dont really like squire strats because they are made really poorly..and the one i have, when i took it apart...a big piece of wood was missing out of it lmao..i would definatly go with something like epiphone...try sgs or les pauls, they give you a great blues, hard rock sound
Quote by guitarfreak5342
hey dude, the both of the ibanez have a tremolo similar to a floyd rose tremolo...so you might not want to get that...i dont really like squire strats because they are made really poorly..and the one i have, when i took it apart...a big piece of wood was missing out of it lmao..i would definatly go with something like epiphone...try sgs or les pauls, they give you a great blues, hard rock sound

Are you sure that wasn't the trem cavity?

TS - if you like classic rock and blues then you'll probably be best off with a strat or strat-type....the Yamaha Pacifica 112 is good value.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com