Hey, I had a car-accident related question. Basically what happened is, I was driving in my lane and taking an exit when some guy came in front of me really fast and pretty much just stopped, so I couldn't slow down fast enough, so I hit 'em from the back at about 30MPH... he was an SUV and I was in a Corolla. So in the end, we just stopped on the side, his SUV didn't seem to take much damage, my car, however, seemed to take most of it with the front end smashed in.

Now the thing is, back then, he comes out, and says we don't have to get anyone involved, we just walk away, but I at least exchanged numbers because I haven't been in many accidents so I thought that would be at least necessary..

Well, he calls me up today, about 2-3 days later, saying he went to his mechanic and said his mechanic said there's more damage than he thought and he wants me to pay for it, basically. He's still a cool guy and he says all this politely, but I'm thinking, his time is up, he can't do that 2-3 days later, isn't that right? Especially after agreeing to taking no action.

Oh and I'm in Texas.
tell him it's his fault?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
he was legally supposed to reprt it i reckon, and theres no time limit
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
If you hit someone from behind, it's always your fault, I think.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Go on judge judy. she'll sort this out.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
well...idk how laws are in US but if he haven't reported the accident to police the day it happened you don't have to pay him.
and it seems like it was his fault.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The point isn't whose fault it was.. the point is that we both agreed that we would take no action, but he comes back 2-3 days later saying now he does. How can he prove that he didn't damage it some more after we agreed to that? He could've done anything in those two days. Besides, aren't you supposed to report those kinds of collisions on the spot?
You've both failed to report a road accident, which will get you in more **** than it's worth, so I'd just tell him to **** off, if he does go to the police he'll get fined more than he'd have got off you
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
there isn't any legal action that he can take that I know of, if it wasn't reported
so just be careful if he is some mob boss or ted jones (Pineapple Express=hilarious)
I am coining new words like 'misunderstanding' and 'Hispanically'

"Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top"
-Timothy Leary

crit my songs (click on my profile)
Quote by Kiffa

word. try to take that to court, and you will pretty much lose every time.
thats why you ALWAYS get the police involved, even in a minor accident.

i dont know what right he has to seek damages from you. if he wants a lot, i suggest you consult a lawyer, not UG.
Quote by Nikon87
The point isn't whose fault it was.. the point is that we both agreed that we would take no action, but he comes back 2-3 days later saying now he does. How can he prove that he didn't damage it some more after we agreed to that? He could've done anything in those two days. Besides, aren't you supposed to report those kinds of collisions on the spot?

Yep, you are supposed to report it, you could just say, you have to pay for yours, it's gonna cost blah blah blah, but make sure the amount you say for yours is more than his.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Kiffa

this.
the only exception is if the person in front reverses into you.
its always the second persons fault, whether it be like this incident or a 30 car pile up, its the 2nd drivers fault. thats why you always leave loadsa space between you and the car infront... **** the person behind, if he hits you its their fault, not like you want anything to happen in the first place.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by daytripper75

i dont know what right he has to seek damages from you. if he wants a lot, i suggest you consult a lawyer, not UG.

Lawyers cost money and I'm sure there are people in this pit with information on this subject, but yeah, I'm just going to tell him to **** off... in a nice way, of course, since he's been pretty nice to me and just move on. As I thought, we both didn't report it, so there's nothing to go by and we'd both be ****ed more than it's worth, I'd assume, as above mentioned. I've just never been in this type of situation before, so I just wanted to get some input by those who have, or might know about it.
Quote by daytripper75

this and because there is a reference to american psycho in daytripper's signature.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by permanentmarker
this.
its always the second persons fault, whether it be like this incident or a 30 car pile up, its the 2nd drivers fault. thats why you always leave loadsa space between you and the car infront... **** the person behind, if he hits you its their fault, not like you want anything to happen in the first place.

if you read his first post, you would understand that he wasnt following someone too close. the guy pulls in front of him, and rapidly decelerated. he didnt have enough time to react and stop before hitting the guy.

if thats the true story, then i find it hard to blame the TS for the accident, even if blame normally falls on the person that hit the other person from behind.
Quote by permanentmarker
this.

Please read the entire post, I'm not arguing who's fault it was, but what course of action should be taken next, given the circumstances. From what I gather so far, the other guy can't take anything from me, nor can I, because of bother of our failure to report the incident and both agreeing to disregard and move on. So yeah...
Quote by Nikon87
Lawyers cost money and I'm sure there are people in this pit with information on this subject, but yeah, I'm just going to tell him to **** off... in a nice way, of course, since he's been pretty nice to me and just move on. As I thought, we both didn't report it, so there's nothing to go by and we'd both be ****ed more than it's worth, I'd assume, as above mentioned. I've just never been in this type of situation before, so I just wanted to get some input by those who have, or might know about it.

im not saying you need to talk to a lawyer, but if he insists on getting money from you, it might be necessary.
Quote by daytripper75
if you read his first post, you would understand that he wasnt following someone too close. the guy pulls in front of him, and rapidly decelerated. he didnt have enough time to react and stop before hitting the guy.

if thats the true story, then i find it hard to blame the TS for the accident, even if blame normally falls on the person that hit the other person from behind.

Yeah, thanks. I do feel it was not my fault, but I do believe in this country, or state at least, that every rear end is considered the "rear-ender"'s fault, regardless of how it happened. Except ofcourse backing into the rear, as mentioned above.
Quote by daytripper75
im not saying you need to talk to a lawyer, but if he insists on getting money from you, it might be necessary.

Yes, I understand and appreciate the concern. I will definitely if it becomes necessary, but I was just seeking advice of the pit because this seems like one of those things that should be like common accident knowledge for experienced drives. I've only been driving for 3 and a half years, I know there are people here who have been driving for far longer and know a lot more of these types of situations.
your both gonna end up in rearenders prison(the worst one)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
your both gonna end up in rearenders prison(the worst one)

Oh shnaps!