Page 1 of 2
is anyone else sick of looking at lists of best metal albums and seeing master of puppets always sitting right there at the top. It is in my mind one of the most overrated metal albums ever and as an album itself is actually quite average even for metallicas standards. first off everything on the entire album is in E (im talking about the Key, not the tuning), there seems to be no variety there. every ****ing riff involves either pming on the E string or on the low d string but still pedaling back to the low E note. Other than Master of Puppets, Welcome Home,and Orion a lot of the songs were quite forgettable, at this time Kirk started to introduce the wah into his playing as well, Kirks solos were good, but can you really say compared to people like Chris Poland, Alex Skolnik, marty friedman, randy rhoads, eddie van halen, and george lynch that they were really that amazing? somehow i think that the people who put that album at the top of the list have either never heard it or listened to it already knowing it was "the best metal album ever" i think there were better albums that came out before it and better albums that came out after it. also when it comes to being brutal metallica were actually quite soft compared to slayer and megadeth. the whole 'well no one ever heard anything as brutal before master of puppets' is bull****, slayer had released show no mercy and hell awaits, megaeth were two albums into their career, and MOP doesnt even compare to stuff like Bathory, Celtic Frost, and Possessed when it comes to brutality. anyway here goes in no particular order

Black Sabbath-black sabbath
Blizzard of Ozz- Ozzy Osbourne
Peace Sells-Megadeth
Ride the Lightning-Metallica
Cowboys from hell-Pantera
Hatebreeder-Children of Bodom
Something Wild-Children of Bodom
Vulgar display of power-Pantera
Rust in Peace-Megadeth
Spiritual Healing-Death
Morbid Tales-Celtic Frost
Hell Awaits-Slayer
Show no Mercy-Slayer
Killemall-metallica
Diary of a Madman-Ozzy Osbourne

i dont feel like explaining all of these right now, but if you ask me i will explain why i think that.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Last edited by Fuzzbox91 at Aug 11, 2008,
I personally like Leprosy better than Spiritual healing, and you could've not put 2 albums from the same artist a couple times, but a good list.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
it's a good album but not a great one. As for 15 better than it, are we talking a particular genre here, or just METAL?

If just metal:
The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide - Leviathan
Subliminal Genocide - Xasthur
Spectrum of Death - Morbid Saint
Tempo of the Damned - Exodus
Pleasure to Kill - Kreator
March to the Black Holocaust - Vlad Tepes/Belketre
Pure Holocaust - Immortal
Destroy the Opposition - Dying Fetus
The Wretched Spawn - Cannibal Corpse
Annihilation of the Wicked - Nile
Thelma.6 - Behemoth
obZen - Meshuggah
Imaginations From the Other Side - Blind Guardian
A Blaze In the Northern Sky - Darkthrone
Call of the Wretched Sea - Ahab

quite a few other albums are better than it, of course, i just listed my 15 favorite albums.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by COBHC728
I personally like Leprosy better than Spiritual healing, and you could've not put 2 albums from the same artist a couple times, but a good list.

yea probably, but spiritual healing is the only death album ive listened to all the way through i really need to get into more of their stuff, again feel free to add to the list.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Opeth - Morningrise
Death - Spiritual Healing
Vader - Litany
Deicide - Legion
Disgorge - Cranial Impalement
Behemoth - Sventevith (Storming Near The Baltic)
Mayhem - Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Forteresse - Métal Noir Québécois
Hung By Neck - Hung By Neck
Leviathan - The Tenth Sub-Level Of Suicide
Mortifera - Vestiia Tenebrd Mortifera
Depressive Winter - Llac Edicius
Elysian Blaze - Beneath Silent Faces
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Aug 11, 2008,
only something wild, hatebreeder, rust in peace and ride the lightning off that list were better imo. follow the reaper should be up there too anyway.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by horandago
u didnt mention any SOAD

Are YOU ****IN kiddin me!!!! Go elsewhere!

On topic, the reason Master of Puppets is always at the top is cuz it's usually the album the dumbass writer is most familiar with.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
is anyone else sick of looking at lists of best metal albums and seeing master of puppets always sitting right there at the top. It is in my mind one of the most overrated metal albums ever and as an album itself is actually quite average even for metallicas standards. first off everything on the entire album is in E, there seems to be no variety there. every ****ing riff involves either pming on the E string or on the low d string but still pedaling back to the low E note. Other than Master of Puppets, Welcome Home,and Orion a lot of the songs were quite forgettable, at this time Kirk started to introduce the wah into his playing as well, Kirks solos were good, but can you really say compared to people like Chris Poland, Alex Skolnik, marty friedman, randy rhoads, eddie van halen, and george lynch that they were really that amazing? somehow i think that the people who put that album at the top of the list have either never heard it or listened to it already knowing it was "the best metal album ever" i think there were better albums that came out before it and better albums that came out after it. also when it comes to being brutal metallica were actually quite soft compared to slayer and megadeth. the whole 'well no one ever heard anything as brutal before master of puppets' is bull****, slayer had released show no mercy and hell awaits, megaeth were two albums into their career, and MOP doesnt even compare to stuff like Bathory, Celtic Frost, and Possessed when it comes to brutality. anyway here goes in no particular order

Black Sabbath-black sabbath
Blizzard of Ozz- Ozzy Osbourne
Peace Sells-Megadeth
Ride the Lightning-Metallica
Cowboys from hell-Pantera
Hatebreeder-Children of Bodom
Something Wild-Children of Bodom
Vulgar display of power-Pantera
Rust in Peace-Megadeth
Spiritual Healing-Death
Morbid Tales-Celtic Frost
Hell Awaits-Slayer
Show no Mercy-Slayer
Killemall-metallica
Diary of a Madman-Ozzy Osbourne

i dont feel like explaining all of these right now, but if you ask me i will explain why i think that.

Idiot.

1. Since when is Standard tuning such a bad thing?
2. What metal band DOESN'T use palm muting on the E / D string?
3. Since when is the quality of music measured off of the brutality of it?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Dude... A lot of those albums you just mentioned there are in standard E in their entirity as well. I's just saying.

Now, the thing is - that a lot of people do consider it the greatest metal of all time. Now, also, opinions are, actually like assholes - everyone has one. But, many people are of the opinion that it is a perfect album. So what. Top ten lists are usually on my bottom ten in terms of things i don't like.
It's just a silly thing to get pissed off about. I bet a lot more people would be pissed off if Down's Nola, for instance, was always number 1 - even though I happen to prefer it. I think i made my point somewhere in my semi-coherent ramble.
lmao, sorry but theres a lot of forgettable songs on cowboys from hell, as good of an album as it is. and slayer fails... imo.
Quote by Black Star

it's not, but i've heard countless people saying it is the most brutal record. As for my list, i think i've just realized this wasn't a list thread. whatever. and i forgot like forty awesome albums. like Deathcrush. and Symbolic.

EDIT: and Watershed
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I have to say that i agree with you, there are many metal albums better than MoP. I'd rank it as metallicas third best album, RtL and KeA being better.
not all of master of puppets is in e
the thing that should not be is in drop d
sorry for being a music nazi
Quote by Black Star
Idiot.

1. Since when is Standard tuning such a bad thing?
2. What metal band DOESN'T use palm muting on the E / D string?

1)as a dedicated standard tuning user, i have nothing against it, its just annoying when EVERY riff the main riff involves not much more than pming on the E string.
2)Megadeth recorded all of their albums ins tandard or eb tuning but they mixed it up by having songs in G, D, B, and A.
3)its not, but a lot of arguments i hear are "master of puppets was the most brutal thing in 1985" which is bull****
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Also, quite honestly, Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits weren't that great of albums. Reign in Blood was, in my opinion, the only album by Slayer that could possibly rank up with MOP.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
But, Reign In Blood is 30 minutes of chugging...

At least Hell Awaits was innovative and almost death metal.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
But, Reign In Blood is 30 minutes of chugging...

At least Hell Awaits was innovative and almost death metal.

See, it's all opinion, really. I'm not a fan of death metal, so there's where my opinion of this comes in.

Out of all metal, I think MOP is where it should be. 90% of metal fans like it or liked it at one point in time. I doubt any other album can beat that.
Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by Black Star

Out of all metal, I think MOP is where it should be. 90% of metal fans like it or liked it at one point in time. I doubt any other album can beat that.

that's true - as much as some folk would try deny it, it is mucho influential. But obviously these things vary from person to person.
MoP is the most boring Metallica album to hit shelves.

Can someone please explain to me how boring, 5 riffs to 8 minute songs, and lackluster performance and dull, forgettable songs = Best Metal album ever?

Don't pull the influential card, either. Kill 'Em All and No Life Til Leather gets that award.

Quote by eggsandham2
i like lots of albums, but i don't worhsip all of them. MoP is most certainly not the pinnacle of metal. Most metal fans like Korn at one point, should they be getting metal awards too? (allright, i'll admit that example kinda sucked) As for bay area thrash Exodus destroys them, for general thrash Pleasure to Kill wins easily and for the best thrash album by forty two miles, Spectrum of Death beats down MoP, breaks all of its bones, buries it alive, and then pisses on its grave.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
MoP is the most boring Metallica album to hit shelves.

Can someone please explain to me how boring, 5 riffs to 8 minute songs, and lackluster performance and dull, forgettable songs = Best Metal album ever?

Don't pull the influential card, either. Kill 'Em All and No Life Til Leather gets that award.

St. Anger? Load? Reload? ....And Justice For All? Black Album?

I'll give you Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning, though. I do agree that they are better albums.
Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by Black Star
Load? Reload? ....And Justice For All? Black Album?

Are all better than MoP.

See, I can opinun2.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Are all better than MoP.

See, I can opinun2.

I didn't say "worse", I was implying more boring than MOP.
Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Are all better than MoP.

See, I can opinun2.

but even in jest that's just not right.
Quote by The Evil Hat

but even in jest that's just not right.

But, I'm being serious .

Seriously, they are all much more intuitive, exciting, and since they shortened the songs (or in AJFA's case, added more riffing), those albums are a LOT less boring.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
But, I'm being serious .

Seriously, they are all much more intuitive, exciting, and since they shortened the songs (or in AJFA's case, added more riffing), those albums are a LOT less boring.

i agree for all but St. Anger. that is an atrocity, matched in sell out-ocity only by the Unspoken King...and lots of other albums. but still, i didn't like it. i don't opinun, i fact!
its not the brutality of the album, i think its really the whole epic scale
ride the lightning and ...and justice for all were both great albums
and along with master of puppets they followed a simple song list
track 1. fast paced punch in the face song
track 2. title song
track 3. slower more powerful song
track 4. ballad-y song
and somewhere in the ending tracks there's a long instrumental song
i'm not one to thrash metallica for making load and reload and even st. anger because i happen to like a bunch of the songs from reload and load. that being said i prefer the older stuff, pre-black album.
sure i might be some 15 year old who doesnt know **** about the "real metallica" from '85 and on. but i dont know that you have to be born in a specific time to love some kinda of music
haha, true all of MOP songs are blatantly the same style but thats what makes an album flow. And if you think the wanking of Alexi Laiho is better then master puppets, well then your a lost soul.

Oh and you gotta love the black death extremist who are all of this thread naming 15 albums with a serious misunderstaning of the concept of melody.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I deleted St. Anger from my quote for that reason.

It is a horrible album.

^ Go listen to Vestiia Tenebrd Mortifera, Llac Edicius, or Hung By Neck and tell me they lack melody. Oh wait, you won't.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I deleted St. Anger from my quote for that reason.

It is a horrible album.

yes it is

Quote by GoodCharloteSux
haha, true all of MOP songs are blatantly the same style but thats what makes an album flow. And if you think the wanking of Alexi Laiho is better then master puppets, well then your a lost soul.

Oh and you gotta love the black death extremist who are all of this thread naming 15 albums with a serious misunderstaning of the concept of melody.

And you gotta love the idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. Black Metal has way more melody than thrash.
I am sick of lists. All it does is cause mindless flame wars and elitists quoting entire, well thought out posts and simply posting "idiot" or "wtf are you talking about" etc. without any explanation to make them seem better.

Lists will never work, because they are all subjective. Someone will always be unhappy, and someone will always call that person an idiot for having a different opinion

That being said, this list sucks.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
I am sick of lists. All it does is cause mindless flame wars and elitists quoting entire, well thought out posts and simply posting "idiot" or "wtf are you talking about" etc. without any explanation to make them seem better.

Lists will never work, because they are all subjective. Someone will always be unhappy, and someone will always call that person an idiot for having a different opinion

That being said, this list sucks.

Are you talking about me?

And yes, list threads suck.
Quote by The Evil Hat
Are you talking about me?

And yes, list threads suck.

It wasn't targeted at anyone in particular, but Black Star's post is what triggered it. that, and I think he was wrong and ignorant in what he said.

as for list threads, fuck them all.

Well, I suppose one or two might not be so bad, but we've had a great influx of them recently, and its getting on my nerves
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by The Evil Hat
yes it is

And you gotta love the idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. Black Metal has way more melody than thrash.

I know what I am talking about. Although Black metal may have some melody, with horrid vocals, underproduction, and horrible lyrical themes. It is the most overrated metal out there by kids who are looking to out do each other in a "who knows the most unknown bands contest" How many times can you sing about winter and satan?
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Page 1 of 2