Hey, I play metal styles of music and I recently learned how to play leads with theory and such within the last year. I have extensively become better at playing the guitar, however I don't know how to EQ properly! Most of the EQs I like for my low end stuff sound awful in my mids and highs, or the opposite!
Sometimes I can get it pretty decent, but my mids always sound terrible.
Especially when I sweep pick anything starting on the 12th fret on the A string, almost all you can hear is the humming sound of the A note. Anywhere else I can get clear fast arpeggios.

Can anyone help me setup a good sound with the setup I already have?

I have a BC Rich NJ Series guitar into a BOSS GT-3 Effects Processor using the "ext. Dist" Distortion into a BOSS Metal Zone Distortion pedal, back into GT-3, then into my Peavey Half-Stack Valve King 112.
I typically try to mimic my Metal Zone's EQs with the GT-3's and my Valve King's EQs. But it doesn't sound much better. Should I even use the GT-3s EQ?

It would be great if someone could help me with this. I would ask anyone of my friends, but I'm better at this stuff than they are, and I don't know a whole lot. :\

If you have any questions needed to be answered in order to fulfill my inquiry, go ahead, and I will try to answer with much haste.
scoop your mids. basically turn down the mids and turn up the highs and lows, if your using an eq pedal with all the sliders, make a V or U shape.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
There is no way on earth you need that much gain and it'll sound terrible regardless of how you EQ it. Throw away the Metal Zone and play with the GT3's EQ funtion together with perhaps a mild overdrive effect on the amps distorted channel.

The Metal Zone eats mids, like this...

*nom*

...just like that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rage6945
scoop your mids. basically turn down the mids and turn up the highs and lows, if your using an eq pedal with all the sliders, make a V or U shape.

you want to have mids. end of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Eunakritos
I'll try that, should I go really low with them?

No...set your amps EQ to a tone you pretty much like, then use the EQ on the GT3 to tweak it. I don't know how much scope you get with it but you only really want to tweak the midrange, you shouldn't need to do anything drastic. The midrange is the bulk of your guitar's sound, if you take too much away then you're left with sod all.

Oh, and make sure you've thrown away the Metal Zone
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

D: But I really dislike the Valve King's and the GT-3's distortions.
Any other propositions?
Quote by Eunakritos
D: But I really dislike the Valve King's and the GT-3's distortions.
Any other propositions?

Learn to use them properly...Valveking distortion + extra EQing + a bit of overdrive = all the gain you'll ever need. It may not give you what you want on it's own but the Valveking will give you a decent workable tone to build on.

If the GT3 EQ is too confusing or not powerful enough then look to invest in a stand-alone EQ pedal, but currently the biggest obstacle to sounding good is that Metal Zone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc