i have a peavey classic 30 which i love for classic and hard rock tones but now im looking to play a small amount of metal. i have a bad monkey OD which i use with the level all the way up and the gain down and it tightens my sound and gives me a more hard rock tone. is there a way i can use that pedal, or which distortion pedal could i get to get me a tone more like the tone in this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrUX14BxiWA

i dont want exact tone as these guys however id like to get a little closer.
Maybe, but get a good one, such as an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I've never heard that band, but that's a a pretty good intro. The vocals aren't my thing, but whatever.

The EHX Metal Muff is really good to get metal tones, though, I would try out one of those.

EDIT:

Yeah, for metal you'll want distortion, that's basically a genre staple. For a lot of people, anyway.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by enalsisiht
so you think a distortion pedal would be a better solution to play metal?

NO.

Get your OD pedal, and turn the gain dial up a bit. If that doesn't do it, keep adding gain until you get your sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Chris_Parker
I've never heard that band, but that's a a pretty good intro. The vocals aren't my thing, but whatever.

The EHX Metal Muff is really good to get metal tones, though, I would try out one of those.

EDIT:

Yeah, for metal you'll want distortion, that's basically a genre staple.

yeah they arent very big, but i have surfed with the guys in the band before and i surf in the town there from. yeah i was thinking i would need a distortion. how do the metal muff and the pro co rat compare.

and once i start turning the gain up on my OD i get a lot of excess feedback, would a noise gate get rid of that.
Quote by enalsisiht
and once i start turning the gain up on my OD i get a lot of excess feedback, would a noise gate get rid of that.

Yeah - it eliminates noise when you aren't playing.
Although, if you stand AWAY from the amp - less feedback.

If you have single coils, stand away from all electrical appliances (amps, computers, plugs, light switches, etc.).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
NO.

Get your OD pedal, and turn the gain dial up a bit. If that doesn't do it, keep adding gain until you get your sound.

+1

Most metal bands use tube amps with either Ibanez or Maxon tube screamers to push their amps further into the metal territory.
okay. well ill try the OD with the gain turned up and hopefully it can get my closer. i know the band that im mainly wanting to play uses Dual Recs and Jcm 800s so will a classic 30 pushed hard with an OD take me close.
Quote by enalsisiht
okay. well ill try the OD with the gain turned up and hopefully it can get my closer. i know the band that im mainly wanting to play uses Dual Recs and Jcm 800s so will a classic 30 pushed hard with an OD take me close.

Yes - as long as you adjust the gain on the OD to suit your style, you'll be fine. I would generally use the OD on the clean channel first (and turn OD gain up) to see if I can get a sound there, and then try on other channels, then play on the channel with the preferred sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Yes - as long as you adjust the gain on the OD to suit your style, you'll be fine. I would generally use the OD on the clean channel first (and turn OD gain up) to see if I can get a sound there, and then try on other channels, then play on the channel with the preferred sound.

i havent ever found my OD useful in that way. my amps overdrive is perfect for everything i play up to metal. but ill try it turning up the gain on the dirty channel
Quote by enalsisiht
i havent ever found my OD useful in that way. my amps overdrive is perfect for everything i play up to metal. but ill try it turning up the gain on the dirty channel

Mess around until you can get a more metal orientated sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
An EQ pedal will be more use than anything else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i was thinking of getting either a 6 or a 10 band eq anyway. how would i use an eq as a gain boosT?
Quote by enalsisiht
i was thinking of getting either a 6 or a 10 band eq anyway. how would i use an eq as a gain boosT?

Simplest way is to whack all the sliders up, but I doubt you actually need much of a gain boost, you probably just need to tweak the voicing a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i went home and tried it today and without even turning the gain up it got really muddey
Quote by enalsisiht
yeah they arent very big, but i have surfed with the guys in the band before and i surf in the town there from. yeah i was thinking i would need a distortion. how do the metal muff and the pro co rat compare.

A noise gat would help. But I've got that same setup and haven't had much feedback doing the same thing