Ive been playing bass for a couple of years, but i got a used acoustic guitar this January,
it was right handed, and since I'm left handed, i just put the strings on backwards, it works fine.
But lately the backwards pick guard has been bothering me, so a made a stupid call, and pulled it off.

There aren't any serious cracks on the wood, just a little splintering,
is this serious enough to take into a shop? and if not, what can i do about it myself?
pics would help but most likely you should be okay with it. have you ever seen willie nelson guitar
You just ripped it off? What you should have done is removed it slowly with the help of a hair-dryer [melts the glue]. Even then if the guitar is more than a few yrs. old they can be very hard to remove. I would have just stuck a matching pickguard on the other side.

Problem with turning a right to a lefty guitar is the nut slots are back to front which can be fixed with a new nut but also the saddle angle on the bridge is the wrong way around so correct intonation is impossible. The saddle would have to be replaced with a lefty saddle [not that hard to do]. Better to find a genuine lefty built guitar.

I hope you still have the pick guard because the pieces of wood missing from the sound board will be stuck to it. You can carefuly remove them one at a time with a hard backed razor blade and with some white woodworking glue, glue the pieces back into the top and wipe off any excess glue with a damp rag. Use a toothpick to apply the glue for very small pieces. The repairs will be noticable but you can't do much about that now.

If it's an expensive guitar, take it [and the pick guard] to a pro. to fix.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 11, 2008,
would it be a good idea to put a another pick guard over after i fixed it?
i think i could live with a backwards pick guard better than i could with pieces looking glued in.
Yeah, put on a new pick-guard the same size as the one you took off. Don't try and use the old one! When you put on the new one, don't take all the backing paper off and then stick it on or you might end up with air bubbles underneath impossible to get out [not a good look].

Lift the corner of the backing paper at the narrow end about 1 1/2" and fold it back on an angle so the corner of the paper is sticking outside the pick-guard. Line it up and stick down the small section that is exposes to the glue and then pick up the paper corner sticking out and slowly pull it outwards, smoothing down on the pick guard as you go to avoid air pockets until all the paper is out from under the now glued pick-guard. Put one on the other side too if you like!