i have a 15 watt kustom amp and when i play on clean it sounds fine but when i use distortion i cant hear the notes of power chords and other chords properly and there is a buzzing noise behind it. maybe time for a new amp or could my strings need changing?

i havent changed my strings since i got the guitar at christmas as it has a floyd rose on it and i play on it a lot.

any help appreciated.

EDIT:

on distortion its just a mess of notes. and my guitar is in tune.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
If the amp sucks, get a new one. A good friend of mine used to use a 10 watt kustom practice amp, the distortion sounded like a it was coming out of a cardboard box.
Yeah, before i got a distortion pedal, the OD on my Fender Frontman sounded a lot like that.

I need a new amp so bad....
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Try Getting a Distortion Pedal or if you want a better amp look at the Roland Cubes or Vox Valvetronix Series(AD15VT,Ad30VT etc.)
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Guess depends on the amp. A friend of mine has the little kustom tube 12 and the preamp tube makes it sound pretty good. But most low wattage SS stuff just doesnt sound so good.