How come that there are other patterns for the minor pentatonic scale?
I thought it simply was:
e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
That is when the root note is on the low E string. The other box patterns are for the root note being on the A and the D, or any other string for that matter. Box patterns are a mnemonic device... they are ways to visualize a portion of the scale, they are not the complete scale.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 08L1V10N
I thought it simply was:
e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

That pattern you have is just one section of the scale, but it's not the scale itself. The minor pentatonic is just 5 notes, it's the natural minor scale less 2 notes, so for example A minor pentatonic is A C D E G - that scale exists ANYWHERE those notes occur on the fretboard, and if you know the notes on the fretboard you'll see that they appear all over the place.

Just keep telling yourself "Scales are not patterns" ..every time you see a pattern that says it's a scale it isn't - it's simply one place where the notes of the scale appear, the scale itself is the unique pattern of notes and intervals over a single octave.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by 08L1V10N
I thought it simply was:
e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

I dunno.. maybe it's because guitars have more than 5 frets
Seagull didn't say I was wrong! YES! He said something similar to what I said! YES! I must be well on my way to "musician!" YES!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I know that you can play it in every position. I just got confused by a lesson

The other 3 Box Patterns, of the minor pentatonic. If you want to make them minor, all you have to do is change the root note to the reletive major. (See link in introduction)

e|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-O-|---|---|-o-|
G|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
D|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
A|-|---|-o-|---|-O-|---|
E|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|

e|-|---|-o-|---|-O-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
D|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
A|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
E|-|---|-o-|---|-O-|---|

e|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
A|-|-O-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Last edited by 08L1V10N at Aug 11, 2008,
So the tubetime sucker can suck my tube
Quote by razorback91

Quote by 08L1V10N
I know that you can play it in every position. I just got confused by a lesson

The other 3 Box Patterns, of the minor pentatonic. If you want to make them minor, all you have to do is change the root note to the reletive major. (See link in introduction)

Then why did you ask the question? Playing the same pattern in other positions is not the same as playing a single scale over the entire fretboard.

Take a step back from the box positions and spend some time learning the scales themselves, then see how the patterns are formed from the scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I just don't get the relative major thing
Quote by razorback91

there's 5 altogether, not 4!

whilst wiggling up and down boxes isn't the same as making music I do think the CAGED system and those shapes are worthwhile and a good thing to learn
Quote by 08L1V10N
I just don't get the relative major thing

You won't until you start looking at notes and scale formulas, it has nothing to do with the patterns themselves. Put simply, the relative major of any major scale is same pattern of notes and intervals starting from the the 6th degree, so for example...C major is

C D E F G A B

the 6th scale degree is A, and the relative minor is A minor

A B C D E F G

...same notes, different root note/tonal centre and different sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I was wanting to start a thread about this cuz I'm confused too. Relative minor? major? is a related scale that can be used for a song in a key... So, like in the above example you are in a key of C, I simply go to the 6th degree and use that scale and it will sound good too? What is a relative minor then, just used for finding the relative of a minor? is there only one relative ..... ? for each? So essentially my questions are :

What are the differences, and different applications of relative majors and minors?

Relative majors/minors just mean alternate scales that can be used in a key right?

These relative majors/minors are found by using the 6th of the original scale?

Is the 6th the only relative major/minor?

Does each scale have a relative major and minor or just one?

Do major scales have only relative majors and minors relative minors?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Any relative scale is a scale that uses the same notes as another one, so every major scale has a relative minor, as well as a relative Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Locrian. It's easier if you look at the scale over a couple of octaves. If we take C major and it's intervals it looks like this,
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7    <----scale degree
C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C  <----note
 W W H W W W H W W H W W W H   <----interval

the natural minor is the same as the Aeolian mode which starts from the 6th degree of the major scale, so we can section that out to give us the the relative minor which is A minor

1 2 3 4 5 [ 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] 7    <----scale degree
C D E F G [ A B C D E F G A ] B C  <----note
 W W H W W [ W H W W H W W ] W H   <----interval

if you can, imagine it as a slide rule...you simply slide the brackets to the correct degree to give you that realtive scale, so to the 2nd degree which is the D note for D Dorian, 3rd degree E for E Phrygian and so on. It works both ways too, so if you look at the A minor scale and move the bracket so that you're at the major scale pattern of intervals of WWHWWWH it'll take you back to C, which also tells you that the relative major of a minor scale starts on the 3rd note of the minor scale

The relative minor get's referred to a lot because we guitarists tend to favour minor scales for soloing and also because we tend to navigate around using shapes. Remember, the relative minor has the same notes as the equivalent major, so A minor has the same notes as C major. That means if you want to play in C major you can simply use the shapes of the relative minor...you're not actually playing in the realtive minor because it's all governed by the tonal centre and key you're in, however rock guitar uses a lot of minor keys and we tend to be more familiar with the shapes of the minor scale so it's an easier way to remember where to go. It's a quick fix for playing instant country, instead of playing in the normal minor pentatonic shift the shape down 3 frets to give you the notes of the pentatonic major.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 11, 2008,
Well, it seems that my questions was asked incorrectly, but yet not stupid.
Quote by razorback91