Hi guys, it is me again! I'm still thinking of what my next guitar will be ... and it has to be for punk. So ... an Epiphone Les Paul Standard? What are they like for fast paced awesomeness?

My influences are btw: The Ataris, The Ramones, NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid, Blink 182, Dropkick Murpheys, SUM41, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Mayday Parade, The Offspring, Pennywise, Rise Against and The Clash.

Yes, I do know that a majority are pop-punk but what are you gonna do?

But I also like a lot of metal so I would want a versatile guitar ... and I heard that les pauls are just this!

Metal influences: HIM, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet For My Valentine, HIM, Iron Maiden, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, HIM, DragonForce, KoRn, Pantera, Rage Against The Machine, Slipknot, HIM, System Of A Down, Trivium, Velvet Revolver and did I mention I love HIM?

I love HIM btw ...
A les paul should be GREAT for that. The Mahogany body works especially well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the dude from HIM plays an SG, and yeah les pauls can be used for pretty much anything to be honest, so i'd go with it.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Oh jeeze, I think that an HSS Strat is good for everything, if you swap out the pickups (if need be).

The Standard is not bad; pups are a little weak, so again, you might have to swap 'em.

And... you might want to make sure your amp is half decent.
Quote by Gregoric
the dude from HIM plays an SG, and yeah les pauls can be used for pretty much anything to be honest, so i'd go with it.

yeh his name is mikko "linde" lindstrom
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh jeeze, I think that an HSS Strat is good for everything, if you swap out the pickups (if need be).

The Standard is not bad; pups are a little weak, so again, you might have to swap 'em.

And... you might want to make sure your amp is half decent.

I'm oneblackened, and i approve this message.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I was never really able to nail down which specific guitar the majority of Punk bands use. I've seen everything; Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs... it all depends on how YOU want YOUR tone to be.
alright
if you are really punk and know it through and through
then it shouldnt matter what guitar you use

all you need is something cheap
and covered with stickers

but thats just my opinion
Quote by whiteraven119
I was never really able to nail down which specific guitar the majority of Punk bands use. I've seen everything; Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs... it all depends on how YOU want YOUR tone to be.

yh ... it was between a strat and a les paul ... so i played my friends dad usa fender strat and it cudnt produce a heavy enough tone for metal ... so i was set on a humbuckin guitar (or bum****in as i call em XD) so les pauls is what came to me first
Quote by fender351
alright
if you are really punk and know it through and through
then it shouldnt matter what guitar you use

all you need is something cheap
and covered with stickers

but thats just my opinion

i dont think im a punk ... just think the music is great XD
Quote by oneblackened
I'm oneblackened, and i approve this message.

TS, you will probably not be able to nail every tone dead on, but if you do want the Standard, yes, it's good for the price. However, don't think you gotta play a certain guitar to get "punk sound"... play whatever feels nice in your hands. Remember, any guitar can be used for any music (virtually), you just need the right equipment to hone the tone (lol) to your liking.

EDIT: Liam (yes I'm going to call you that) - an HSS Strat could do metal quite easily, and you'd still have the single coils to give you a bit of tonal variety.
Be aware the pickups on the Epiphone are mid-low output pickups and strangely enough don't have good definition, so you'd probably be better off buying some Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios with that guitar.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
punk bands were notorious for using whatever guitars they could find. it's about attitude not gear. atleast with real punk bands and not the great majority of the ones you've listed.

also mick jones and steve jones both used les pauls.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

TS, you will probably not be able to nail every tone dead on, but if you do want the Standard, yes, it's good for the price. However, don't think you gotta play a certain guitar to get "punk sound"... play whatever feels nice in your hands. Remember, any guitar can be used for any music (virtually), you just need the right equipment to hone the tone (lol) to your liking.

EDIT: Liam (yes I'm going to call you that) - an HSS Strat could do metal quite easily, and you'd still have the single coils to give you a bit of tonal variety.

how did u know my name is liam? is it my username? no?.. well ... i got a while to choose i suppose because i have got 170 saved up ... nd its still a while away.
Quote by LiamBamBam
how did u know my name is liam? is it my username? no?.. well ... i got a while to choose i suppose because i have got 170 saved up ... nd its still a while away.

If it's not your name, that's odd...

Get a Strat.
Quote by LiamBamBam
Hi guys, it is me again! I'm still thinking of what my next guitar will be ... and it has to be for punk. So ... an Epiphone Les Paul Standard? What are they like for fast paced awesomeness?

My influences are btw: The Ataris, The Ramones, NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid, Blink 182, Dropkick Murpheys, SUM41, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Mayday Parade, The Offspring, Pennywise, Rise Against and The Clash.

Yes, I do know that a majority are pop-punk but what are you gonna do?

But I also like a lot of metal so I would want a versatile guitar ... and I heard that les pauls are just this!

Metal influences: HIM, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet For My Valentine, HIM, Iron Maiden, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, HIM, DragonForce, KoRn, Pantera, Rage Against The Machine, Slipknot, HIM, System Of A Down, Trivium, Velvet Revolver and did I mention I love HIM?

I love HIM btw ...

You don't need another guitar!

You need a proper amp!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Les Paul would work fine, might need a pup swap, seem like you like the les paul shape.

I personally would get a strat hss though...agreeing with everyone else, because strats are hot.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by steven seagull
You don't need another guitar!

You need a proper amp!

he wont listen.
Punk guitar?
go to the pawn shop and pick up the cheapest working thing available.

That's punk.
I don't even shred
Les paul's are very versatile, also try out a jaguar, they're quite good for punk.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
HSS strat is good for almost all genres of music
Quote by takeapicture

YOU CAN ALL SUCK MY 3 INCH WILLY

Quote by primusfan
i'm the one pulling my own pants down in front of people. and i have a small penis.

Quote by imdeth
Penises look much better than vaginas in my opinion. A vagina looks like an axe wound.