Hi guys, ill try to keep it short.
Ive been playing guitar for like 18 months or something now, on a lowbudget stratcopy.
Anyway i feel its time to buy a real one.
Ive been looking on the standard strat MIM one, which is within my pricerange and seems legit. Im after a guitar with similar feel to the one i got since ive tried gibsons and such and didnt really felt like home.

ANyway i got a couple of questions.
How do i know what neckradius i got on my current guitar?
I like the look of a maple neck, but is there any different soundwise (compared to rosewood).
I would like to be able to get a sound similar to both srv-sound, but also clean warm tones like mark knopfler. Possible?

ANyone have any experience of the MIM strats? Do you recomend buying another guitar (still strat..) if not the standard? Light ash? Highway 1?

Thanks in advance!
yay! I have a purpose to help someone now!!! I own a Fender MIM Strat! umm... pretty much It's the most versatile guitar I've played out of many... you can pretty much get whatever sound you want with it. I say get it. its definately worth the money and more
The MIM is a fantastic guitar for the price.

The maple neck, to me, sounds a little brighter, but the sound difference is really minimal. It all boils down to what feels better (and in some instances, the look). Any Strat should be able to nail SRV and Knopfler's tone, providing your amp's an okay model.

If you have a higher budget, I would recommend a Classic Player's Strat. But then, if your budget is higher, then split it evenly on a guitar and amp.
Quote by andreasthn
Hi guys, ill try to keep it short.
Ive been playing guitar for like 18 months or something now, on a lowbudget stratcopy.
Anyway i feel its time to buy a real one.
Ive been looking on the standard strat MIM one, which is within my pricerange and seems legit. Im after a guitar with similar feel to the one i got since ive tried gibsons and such and didnt really felt like home.

ANyway i got a couple of questions.
How do i know what neckradius i got on my current guitar?
You could measure it, or look on the website of the manufacturer.
I like the look of a maple neck, but is there any different soundwise (compared to rosewood).
I'd say a slight one, but the body wood will do more to effect this. But yes.
I would like to be able to get a sound similar to both srv-sound, but also clean warm tones like mark knopfler. Possible?
This depends lots on your amp. Probably more I'd say than the actual guitar, do research on the artists equipment if you're that bothered. Try it at a shop with your amp.Anyone have any experience of the MIM strats? Do you recomend buying another guitar (still strat..) if not the standard? Light ash? Highway 1?
I'v heard MIM strats are very good, Highway 1 strats are better I believe. I'm not an expert on strats though.
Thanks in advance!

I love my MIM strat. Highway one's strings are spaced weird I don't like them. Never played an ash.

go play one! they're great guitars, great bargins too. Last you forever. I've dropped mine on stage quite a few times and it has alot of battle scars, but no other problems
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Thanks for all the answers so far.
I looked up the classic player (50s) and i kinda fell in love.. i think i gotta go find a v-neck guitar now and try it out. Seems really nice.
ANd about the amp, yeah im going to buy a new one in a few months when i can afford it

once again, thanks. i feel a little more confident on buying a "cheap" fender now.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a MIM strat and I wouldn't call it 'cheap' by any means but I know what you are saying. Congrats on finding your way.

What is your amp budget and what have you looked at so far?

Yeah. Well as of now (and been for a good while) im interested in a MIM standard, but i checked out the classic player 50s, and i like it really ****ing much.

As of amp i will be buying it within 2 or maybe 3 months, but hopefully 2.
I can spend like maximum 300 euros on an amp. Been looking on some marshalls but just couse i like the look you know, i havent researched or tried them out or anything yet. I think ill bring my guitar to a store and try out a couple to see what they sound like.
Any recomendations?
Oh yeah i almost forgot. Someone answered that i could measure my current neck radius. I understand that its possible but what i was wondering... how to do it?
get the MIM strat !!! .. i love mines to death .. the diff with maple and rosewood is very subtle ..not even worth it as a sound factor .. but looks .. go with what you like .. i hear bends are easier on maple .. but its not like its hard on rosewood in the first place .. the sounds i get from my mim strat is very versatile .. do it
take it easy man .. its just a thread
MiM strats are great, and u can pretty much get any sound you want out of them. i have a special edition deluxe with SCN pickups. I love it.there not on the market anymore(only 100 put out). but ya definetely get the mim strat, they are great guitars.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

what style of music to you play, what country, home or gig

SRV type stuff did you say? Are you looking SSS or HSS?

I dont like HSS, i dont know why, but i dont so im looking for a SSS.
I play hendrix, srv, clapton, mark knopfler but also parts by slash and zeppelin (i know that les paul sound aint for strats but i dont care that much about that just there.. i want a strat couse i feel like its the guitar for me).

I play at home, might be gigs in the future but for now, home. I live in sweden so its nothern europe.

Once again, im thankful for all the help i get.