So I'm kinda an intermediate guitarist, not awesome, but better than a lot. Anyways, I write my own music for a band I'm trying to start, and I'm stuck. I try to write a song, and in some way or another, it turns into a love song. I have written one political song, a song about life in general, and a song about being a minority. I write punk or alt rock music. So how do I get out of this cliche?
welcome to the club m8 xD
I have the same problem and I write same music
so yeah...if anyone has any advice...I'd be happy to hear it too.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
there's nothing wrong with writing love songs, as long as you make sure to steer away from the usual cliche content.

if that's where you're having trouble, i suggest listening to love songs. read poetry. read prose. read everything. if you want to write something political, read about politics, if you want to write love songs, read about love. it helps, i promise. once you know what's out there, it'll be easier to take topics in your own direction and come up with something new.

good luck!
when birds flap their wings do the make believe they're really arms?
You can't force yourself to be inspired. Just keep writing. Eventually, something original and exciting will come along, you just have to find the right inspiration.
Quote by Rockstar729
So I'm kinda an intermediate guitarist, not awesome, but better than a lot. Anyways, I write my own music for a band I'm trying to start, and I'm stuck. I try to write a song, and in some way or another, it turns into a love song. I have written one political song, a song about life in general, and a song about being a minority. I write punk or alt rock music. So how do I get out of this cliche?

Are you... Billie Joe?

JK lol

Go write love songs then if inspiration takes you in that direction, but don't make it cliche. Or you could make a sick twist at the end like the guy was actually in love with a dead girl or a tree o something.
Thanx Hope's Downfall. Good advice. And also Cheesepuff, I'm not Billie Joe, but I wish I was. I listen to Green Day all the time. They're my fave. I've been practicing alot lately and am getting good at political songs. Thanx everybody.