Alright, so in all my brilliance and ingenuity( ), I have decided to file down a quarter (2005 Kansas if anyone cares) to use for a pick. While it seems to make me a bit faster and has a nice strength to it, several of my friends have warned me that I can ruin my strings using it. Is this true, and if so,how long before I notice a difference?

Also, is there anything slightly bigger than a quarter I can use to have a better grip? Maybe a Peso or something?

EDIT: For the record, I tried searching, but nothing came up on this particular topic. My searchbar-fu is low I guess.
Brian May used a six-pence for a pick.

I'm sure it's going to cause a bit more wear on the strings than a normal pick would, I think you'll be alright as long as you're not hacking the strings as hard as you can.
why dont you trade your 'pick' to get a real picK?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Quote by trutrojan8
why don't you trade your 'pick' to get a real picK?

I already have a small assortment of regular picks, I just wanted to try something a little different, and from what i've been doing, I like it. It has a bit more resistance, but if I use the tip, I can get a nice speed going. I may file down a few more coins for practice or just to refine making picks though. I had trouble scratching off most of the quarter ridge so it wouldn't bite into my finger.

Also it's to fool the pick gnomes.
ZZ top said that the coin he used for a time had a habit of sawing thru the strings.
you have to use thicker strings. i use coins on my strat sometimes. it really has a more full tone. i use a dime, because they are as small as jazz III's
You know they do make metal picks...

But yes, it will tear up your strings, and the finish of your guitar.
I have decided to file down a quarter (2005 Kansas if anyone cares)

I'm pretty sure that's a felony
when i go on my hiking trips, sometimes i have to improvise when it comes to getting a pick. the things i have tried include those plastic things you put on the top of a plastic bag that holds bread or w/e, quarters, growing my finger nail out a little bit, and the tip of a metal spoon. if you can file it down so it is completely smooth, i don't see how it could destroy your strings. i think the grip on the rim of it or the impressions on the front of it will kill it.
Quote by Verit4s

You're right.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Quote by Verit4s

If i'm not mistaken, it's only punishable if I actually try to use it as currency again. And it's rarely enforced anyhow. But I spent a good hour filing this thing down. I don't want to let it get away from me.
Quote by Verit4s

yea it is, but with the dollar tanking these days and the rampant inflation, maybe it would do good to get rid of some money.
Make sure you also have a pickguard on your guitar, I can imagine a slight slip off the high E and a bad slice in your finish.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Tackleberry
ZZ top said that the coin he used for a time had a habit of sawing thru the strings.

You realize that ZZ Top is an entire band of people right?
\,,/_[><]_\,,/