So I've pretty much decided that I'm going to study music in college, because I really enjoy it and I feel I have some natural talent in it (I pick stuff up pretty fast). I have played guitar for the last 2 or 3 years and alto sax for the past 7 years. I'd like to focus on guitar in college because of the two I enjoy it more, but a lot of colleges I've looked at only have "classical" guitar programs. What exactly does this mean? Would I not get to play my electric? Is that the only style I would get to study? If there's anyone on here who studied guitar in college, please talk to me about this
Yeah I've been looking at their website some. They have a freakin Jimi Hendrix class Any UG'ers going to/went there?
Wat it means is that you can study guitar techniques based in the scales and theories of classical music.
Look into GIT?

Guitar Institute of Technology?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Look into GIT?

Guitar Institute of Technology?

Hm I tried to look up their website but I got an error message in Chinese......lol
Berklee is an amazing school, I'm going there next year after i get some general ed classes out of the way at a community college here in st. louis. Look into Musician Institute as well, which is the same thing as GIT. I looked at it but I didn't like the fact that it was on Hollywood Blvd right across from the kodak theatre. Too many distractions in downtown los angeles, plus los angeles is dirty and kind of sucks in a way. The school is good from what ive heard though. Check out Belmont too, its located in Nashville. Theres some other good ones too but I've written too much as it is lol.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by mercedesisbenz
Berklee is an amazing school, I'm going there next year after i get some general ed classes out of the way at a community college here in st. louis. Look into Musician Institute as well, which is the same thing as GIT. I looked at it but I didn't like the fact that it was on Hollywood Blvd right across from the kodak theatre. Too many distractions in downtown los angeles, plus los angeles is dirty and kind of sucks in a way. The school is good from what ive heard though. Check out Belmont too, its located in Nashville. Theres some other good ones too but I've written too much as it is lol.

Did you get any scholarships? I've heard it's really expensive.
no, my friend thats going up there this year did though. its something like 177k after everything. My parents are helping me out but I'm gonna be in debt for a looong time. I feel like its worth it though.
Quote by mercedesisbenz
no, my friend thats going up there this year did though. its something like 177k after everything. My parents are helping me out but I'm gonna be in debt for a looong time. I feel like its worth it though.

Yeah I would need to get some scholarships.
I'm gonna audition for scholarships again in the spring and maybe get one. Its not impossible, just play really well.
Quote by Jordan987
So I've pretty much decided that I'm going to study music in college, because I really enjoy it and I feel I have some natural talent in it (I pick stuff up pretty fast). I have played guitar for the last 2 or 3 years and alto sax for the past 7 years. I'd like to focus on guitar in college because of the two I enjoy it more, but a lot of colleges I've looked at only have "classical" guitar programs. What exactly does this mean? Would I not get to play my electric? Is that the only style I would get to study? If there's anyone on here who studied guitar in college, please talk to me about this

There are jazz schools such as Northern Texas and Florida International.

Don't study rock/pop/etc in college. It's a waste of money.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I do contemporary music at the australian institue of music, and they pretty much get us to broaden our styles, so while we do rock/pop, we also do jazz, which is good. Hand son experience with performing too.