I know this is probably not the best place to post this but I dont know where else I should post it. I know some people on UG play piano so I maybe you guys can help me.

I've had an electric piano in my attic for seven years now but I have only recently had the urge to play it. What is the best way to go about learning to play the piano? I know the answer is probably lessons but I cant afford them and guitar lessons. Are there any books and websites that are good for complete beginners? I really only want to play jazz chord progressions and read music so that I can play guitar over the progressions.

Thanks for any help

Flow of soul
You can approach it like guitar: start hacking away at chords; run them in quick succession, build your handspeed.

Sure, you won't be Liszt; but you could probably jam along with some jazz.
I just recently bought a piano and started learning. I just learned basic music theory and applied it to piano. Stuff like 1 3 5 makes a major scale, and then adding the 7th for a major 7th chord. Building the different modes off of the major scale. Just learn your guitar theory, and think about how it would apply to the piano.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by Flow of soul
I know this is probably not the best place to post this but I dont know where else I should post it. I know some people on UG play piano so I maybe you guys can help me.

I've had an electric piano in my attic for seven years now but I have only recently had the urge to play it. What is the best way to go about learning to play the piano? I know the answer is probably lessons but I cant afford them and guitar lessons. Are there any books and websites that are good for complete beginners? I really only want to play jazz chord progressions and read music so that I can play guitar over the progressions.

Thanks for any help

Flow of soul
Exactly how you taught yourself guitar. Start with some simple tunes and work your way up. Than learn chords (+1 5/4). Than learn to improvise.
Quote by Flow of soul

Thanks for any help

Flow of soul

all i did was sat down and played. basic minor and major chords are pretty simple to figure out. basically you can have the bass note, and the three notes that make the chord. you could make the bass in octaves as well. when i needed to figure out another chord, i would either just play til i got it, or got my guitar and analized the chord and then applied it to piano. you could also just look online for piano chords. ive seen a few sites for that. as for books, i dont know really. i dont read music so i dont have any books.