Hey Guys, first post on here.
I was thinking of buying a guitar preamp but was thinking, do you absolutely need a power amp to run it into a cab or is there some way to use an amp head's power section? ie. instead of having guitar-preamp-power amp-cab you would have guitar-preamp-head-cab and if possible, how do you do that? Sorry if the question is stupid. Thanks
most amp heads contain both the pre-amp and the power-amp in one unit
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks for the replies

My plan was to get a rocktron voodoo valve. I already have a marshall head & cab, and I want tube power without having to buy a 1500$ power amp. So I could just run the preamp through the marshall effects loop and it would work?
guitar-preamp-effects return

should be the signal chain then, what marshall do you have?
cos if its a crap one then the new pre-amp might not be much of an imrovement in tone.
not trying to be a dick or anything
If your present amp isn't great, adding another preamp to it won't make it much better. it'll definitely be different. But it's still going to retain most of the Marshall's tonal qualities. If i were you I would buy a [insert generic tube combo/head recommendation].
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

So the marshall preamp would still account for much of the tone? Since I want to use the rocktron's distortion... maybe I should get an amp with better cleans/that doesn't overdrive much?
Quote by Business
So the marshall preamp would still account for much of the tone? Since I want to use the rocktron's distortion... maybe I should just get a completely different good amp that you don't have to mix and match preamps and poweramps with

Fixed.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

LOL

I also wanted the voodoo valve for recording and for its effects. The sound quality is there with the marshall (JCM 900) But would a cleaner amp be better?
Running the preamp through the effects loop return your pretty much bypassing the tonal qualitys of said bad marshall. At that part your just getting the tonal properties of the tubes be it the el34's. Now going into a SS amps power amp will result in warmer SS tone and that might be what they were getting at.