ive been taking lessons and playing for just over 2 years
i have a lesson 4 times a month for $20 a half hour
it seems like i havent really learned much except the notes, reading music, and they key of c
ive learned 2 or 3 keys, and am working on a new one now, but it seems like we just forgwt about the keys when i get through that section and dont spend much time on it, so i dont retain any of that, and the songs are so boring
but on my own ive learned wild world, black dog, bohemian rhapsody, parts of other songs, part of the frebird solo, and im working on november rain and paradise city which im really not having trouble with except parts of the november rain solo
so im wondering, do i kepp trying to convince my parents its not worth the money, or is this actually helping and i just dont know it?

also, for playing just over 2 years, how good would you say i am? average? bad? good?
Last edited by !slash! at Aug 11, 2008,
if you want to go anywhere in music you need theory
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Well, til we hear you we couldn't really judge that. But it sounds to me like you should either change teachers/tell your teacher that you wanna learn songs and not the theories/keys (s)he is teachin you.
Quote by enemy120
if you want to go anywhere in music you need theory
I agree. But it still should be fun. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth.
It will be helping but you can learn yourself it depends if you don't like it. If you have friends who you can jam with who know techniques you don't that would be a bery good idea to practice with them.

I would ask them to buy the guitar of my dreams with all that money and the amp as well
Quote by rocklikeafool
I agree. But it still should be fun. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth.

yeah find a fun teacher and you'll go far
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Hmm... okay so your teacher taught you the keys, then moved on to a new topic...
...so you should go home and practice those keys in your own time.

Basically your teacher teaches you lots of new things, and you learn them and practice them at home AND practice everything else you have learnt too.

Also, when you learned the key of C, you probably learnt a lot about picking and play technique so without lessons... you might not have been able to learn those songs.

I'd say don't talk to your parents, talk to your teacher - ask him these questions, maybe you'll learn some better songs?

Hope I helped,

Rob
You think it's such a big waste of money because you're math is FAR off. $8160 a year would mean you get four eight and a half hour lessons a month. If your lessons are a half hour long at $20, $20x4=$80 x12=$960

Normally I wouldn't chime in about bad math, but it was just sooo off....
:0
idk what i was thinking haha
i think i took my meds but maybe not.
i proably said that because i had the number 80 ($80 a month) stuck in my head
Last edited by !slash! at Aug 11, 2008,