http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080811/twl-olympic-fireworks-faked-for-tv-3fd0ae9.html

The global television audience of more than three billion people watched in amazement as a series of giant footprints outlined in fireworks proceeded through the night sky from Tiananmen Square to the Bird's Nest stadium - except they were watching a computer animation.

Even the giant television screens within the stadium itself broadcast the fake images.

Thoughts?
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.

I'm quite annoyed at that. I thought it was a really clever idea. Humph.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

If they look real what's the harm? They've spent enough cash on the games already without paying for a ton of fireworks.
That's retarded.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
The fireworks would cause breathing problems and the debris wwould hit people so no wonder
What the? I watched most of it and don't remember this anyway.

When the rest was so impressive, why did they fake that?

Seriously who cares?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
"While the dramatic fireworks display actually happened as portrayed on television, members of the Beijing Olympic Committee said it was necessary to replace live video with computer-generated imagery because the city’s hazy, smoggy skies made it too difficult to see, according to The Beijing Times, which first reported the story."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005/

And btw, never underestimate what chinese can do with fireworks, I lived there for three years, seeing three New Years displays set up by local residents (I was a couple of hours from any cities) and they're phenomenal.

Edit: Then again the same article says "There were some real fireworks going on outside the stadium. But the footprint display was “inserted into the coverage electronically at exactly the right moment,” the Daily Telegraph said."

I don't know what to believe
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Last edited by Insanity^2 at Aug 11, 2008,
I didn't even watch them. Oh well, they fooled 3 billion people.
It's kind of stupid because the ancient Chinese invented gunpowder and fireworks, and now they fake them?
their air is already bad enough, might have been one of the smarter things they've done
Who gives a ****, for ****s sake get over it.
Gear:
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Marshall 4x12 Cab

Gibson SG Standard + Bare KnucklePickups - Warpigs
Gould Les Paul + BKP's - Crawlers
See Through Acrylic Strat

Zakk Wylda Wah
Original Crybaby
Boss Flanger
Boss Phase Shifter
Quote by Jackolas
What the? I watched most of it and don't remember this anyway.

When the rest was so impressive, why did they fake that?

I suspect it would be hard to successfully place fireworks into pinpoint positions in the sky, with air pockets and the sheer unreliability of the course of rockets.
and Chinese invented fireworks... maybe... o.O
Correct me if I'm wrong..
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by rigiddigits
If they look real what's the harm? They've spent enough cash on the games already without paying for a ton of fireworks.

as long as the people have cash, so will the government... its communism
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I don't think they even tried to hide the fact that they were fake... so it's not like you're on to something or anything
I thought they were real.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
I have the blueprints of how 2012 London will better the Chinese attempt.

Olympic plans V1.03

1. Free Pie & Mash for all.
2. Unlimited London Pride, Carling & Strongbow on tap.
3. Blue Peter bages to be thrown into the crowd.
4. Plastic Union Jacks to be hung from every available object, nook and cranny.
5. Instead of the torch being lit, a MASSIVE portion of fish and chips (complete with novelty deep fat fryer, newspaper and wooden forks) shall descend onto the stadium floor)
6. A selection of ditties performed by the Camden Local Tramp Sympathy Orchestra (Includes all your favourites!)
7. Finally, opening will be closed with a super set INCLUDING Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and Judas Priest. National anthem shall be a medley performed by every band.
8. Free party poppers and sillystring for all.
Last edited by Jackolas at Aug 11, 2008,
They make the best fireworks in the world. They probably did this just to piss people off or I hope they did.
Quote by Jackolas
I have the blueprints of how 2012 London will better the Chinese attempt.

Olympic plans V1.03

1. Free Pie & Mash for all.
2. Unlimited London Pride, Carling & Strongbow on tap.
3. Blue Peter bages to be thrown into the crowd.
4. Plastic Union Jacks to be hung from every available object, nook and cranny.
5. Instead of the torch being lit, a MASSIVE portion of fish and chips (complete with novelty deep fat fryer, newspaper and wooden forks) shall descend onto the stadium floor)
6. A selection of ditties performed by the Camden Local Tramp Sympathy Orchestra (Includes all your favourites!)
7. Finally, opening will be closed with a super set INCLUDING Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and Judas Priest. National anthem shall be a medley performed by every band.
8. Free party poppers and sillystring for all.

No proper british ale?! Also, what about the tea?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Hendrix=God
It was clearly fake. I didn't care.

+1
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I thought it was fishy when the fireworks went off and the cloud of noxious smog over beijing didn't catastrophically explode
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I thought it was fake. but they still managed to make them look like freaking steaks rather than footprints!
You could tell it was fake because you could see through the pollution.
It was so they didn't harm an already damaged enviroment I guess, clever move if you ask me.
I don't care whether it was real or not, it still looked fantastic to all of us watching.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG