Page 1 of 2
What is the longest art rock/progressive rock/psychedelic rock song you know?
yes that is an edit, I'll give some background, I'm trying to write an epic that fits into one of those genres and I'd like to find music to get ideas off of...
My Music:
Solo project: myspace.com/dermy3blkaht
Full band (iRockit): myspace.com/nj136
Last edited by eadgtotheend at Aug 12, 2008,
Probably some classical pieces.

Um. That I know for sure, Change Of Seasons, Dream Theater (but that probably counts as several songs, really)

So, Octavarium by the same band, 24 mins exactly.
There's some sort of 'longest song ever' project going on right now. It's a computer generated song that never repeats itself. If you google it you can listen to it. It probably sounds awful, though.

Also, John Cage composed something that's played over several years...

EDIT: it's called "As slow as possible", and it may end in 2639
Dopesmoker by Sleep, check it outtttttttttt
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
A State of Trance by Armin Van Buuren. Thats more of a compilation broadcast though, so Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater is about 44 minutes.
The longest song in my brother's iTunes is "Mountain Jam" by the Allman Brother's Band. 33:40.

I haven't listened to it so I can't confirm its authenticity.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
the searchbar song

sorry, I had to.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by MrTin
three minute warning by DT? Don't really like the band but I think that the song is over 1 h

That song is by liquid tension experiment, not dt, (same thing really though) and is subsectioned into several different pieces. It's also closer to 1/2 or 3/4 hr.
Quote by MrTin
three minute warning by DT? Don't really like the band but I think that the song is over 1 h

Three Minute Warning is by Liquid Tension Experiment and its a bunch of songs, not just one. It's like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
I tought Cassangre Gemini by the Mars Volta was long (33mins) but thats nothing compared to that Fantomas song, im gonna guess that its music the whole track through and not an hour of silence?
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater
43 minutes i think? its separated into parts though
When all else fails, ask the pit.
I believe theres a song by Throbbing Gristle that an hour and 20 minutes long.
Quote by Haggard13
the searchbar song

sorry, I had to.

OH 3M GE3 I LURV TH4T S0NGZ

I wrote a song once that lasted 7 hours.

True story.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
i want to write a song that's at least 24 hours long, but idk how to go about doing it. i already decided against including every genre in the world, since although it'd make it easier, it would also make it gayer.
theres some 24hr techno songs that were just whole day raves of a DJ doing their thing. nothing i personally like, but i know they are out there. sasha and john digweed did a couple, other than that some jazz pieces i have are 40+ mins,
The longest song ever is still going
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
The longest song I know is Echoes by Pink Floyd its 23:32
-I don't believe this, my girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

-In a row?
Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, 49 minutes.
But it's separated in two parts, since in 1973, you couldn't put that long on one side.
And there's also In-A-Gadda-Da Vida by Iron Butterfly that's quite long
Quote by Mazzakazza
Probably some classical pieces.

Um. That I know for sure, Change Of Seasons, Dream Theater (but that probably counts as several songs, really)

So, Octavarium by the same band, 24 mins exactly.

You missed Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, clocks in at 42 minutes
John Cage is not viable for anything related to music or art.

Its like those pieces of "art" with starving dogs or children.

disgusting, boring and the biggest waste of time and money.
gta be house music, or some techno.., theres songs stretching to 3 hrs
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
Quote by insomniac_style
x japan - art of life

beat me to it. It's a very long song, and exhausting.
Quote by chris024
theres some 24hr techno songs that were just whole day raves of a DJ doing their thing.

Yeah, that doesn't count.

Progressive Metal
Ron Jarzombek has a solo album that's 45 minutes (dead on) long, and even though it's split into different tracks in order to name each section, it's definitely one composition/song. I think Dream Theater's Change of Seasons and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence count under that rule also.

(Finnish) Folk Metal
Moonsorrow has a song that's 30:10 long: "Jäästä Syntynyt/Varjojen Virta" (Born of Ice/Stream of Shadows). Despite the split title, it's two parts of the same song, but Moonsorrow is known to have long sections of silence/wilderness sounds in between sections of playing, so I don't know how much that counts

That Fantomas track sounds like it beats out everyone, but what genre is it? If it's something 99.99% synthesized like trance or techno, I personally don't think it counts, since anyone could easily mess around with a synthesizer for a day and put something like that out. It might not sound good, but it's too easy, just like that 24 hour club DJ thing.

Lastly, Longplayer is long.
Sorry, I had to.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Good old Crimson by Edge Of Sanity, at 40 minutes.

The longest song I regularly listen to is Opeth's Black Rose Immortal at 20 minutes.
"Longplayer is a 1000 year long piece of music which started to play on the 1st January 2000 and will continue to play, without repetition, until the 31st December 2999, when it will come back to the point at which it began - and begin again."

/Thread

It's not THAT bad either.

Edit: Aww
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Page 1 of 2