Ok I just bought a Bass guitar on a whim really, something I had been thinking of learning for years just never had one or money to buy one so I got the money and bought one, Now all I really want to know is whats a good cheap Amp to start on?

Also is it harder to learn on a 5 string over a 4 because I bought a 5 string.
Nope. It's not harder. It's different.

Also, what's your budget for the amp? What styles do you like/will be playing?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well as for budget I got 300 now but I could save up a few more pay cheaks but dont really want to spend to much on a first timer Amp you know, I like tools bass a lot and Ozzys is pretty cool as well.
not harder
you still have the same 4 strings on it
just that you have an extra lower string
means you wont have to drop tune your bass
lucky you.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Try a cheap Ampeg or something, that was my first real bass amp. BTW, what kind of bass did you buy?
Siggity-sig-sig-sig.
The fifth string really provides for quicker playing of chords. Instead of having to slide down the neck to play certain cords you can simply move over one string and when you play an open B your just gonna explode your place with powerful low bass.
Quote by shdowfox17
not harder
you still have the same 4 strings on it
just that you have an extra lower string
means you wont have to drop tune your bass
lucky you.

There are seriously a lack of bands that play in drop b so he will still have to detune, to play in drop d, drop Eb, drop C and so and so forth.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by AmpleSteak
There are seriously a lack of bands that play in drop b so he will still have to detune, to play in drop d, drop Eb, drop C and so and so forth.

That's not necessarily true...He could just copy and retab the tabs to fit his fiver so he doesn't have to down tune (especially for Drop C).
Quote by Royal Celebi
That's not necessarily true...He could just copy and retab the tabs to fit his fiver so he doesn't have to down tune (especially for Drop C).

The thing is, some songs become very, VERY difficult to play when not in the right tuning, which is why it is my firm belief that a 5 string does not eliminate the need for drop tuning.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The thing is, some songs become very, VERY difficult to play when not in the right tuning, which is why it is my firm belief that a 5 string does not eliminate the need for drop tuning.

Right. I know what you mean, but some songs are actually easier to play when retabbed. Some of the tabs found on this site will have the correct notes, but in awkward places. Example:

G|-----|
D|-----|
A|----2|
E|-132-|

Would be easier than

G|------|
D|------|
A|------|
E|-132-7|
But that's not in different tunings. In the same tuning, THAT is where the five string really becomes useful, being able to use the one hand position for more notes. If playing a drop D song in standard on a 5, and I use Lamb of God's Walk with me in Hell as an example, it's much easier just to drop the E to a D, and pedal the open fret, as opposed to having to knock down to the 3rd fret on the B every other note.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But that's not in different tunings. In the same tuning, THAT is where the five string really becomes useful, being able to use the one hand position for more notes. If playing a drop D song in standard on a 5, and I use Lamb of God's Walk with me in Hell as an example, it's much easier just to drop the E to a D, and pedal the open fret, as opposed to having to knock down to the 3rd fret on the B every other note.

Touche, I see what you mean now.
Well, I viewed it as such. But, I will keep that in mind for further commenting on your ability to rape minds.

ON SUBJECT: Where's humanity? He hasn't recommended an ashdown or an acoustic yet?
Quote by goest
Well, I viewed it as such. But, I will keep that in mind for further commenting on your ability to rape minds.

ON SUBJECT: Where's humanity? He hasn't recommended an ashdown or an acoustic yet?

I indeed have a life. I was taking my lab jazz band class. guess what genre I suck at. it aint the same as sittin at your house playing the chicken. especially when the trumpeters aren't in time. and one of the guys there brought his Fodera today. great feel on that thing. thick low end.

but, to keep the ban away, Ashdown and Acoustic are amazing choices. the AB50 is really good for tiny, drumless gigs and practice. I love mine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
and one of the guys there brought his Fodera today. great feel on that thing. thick low end.

I read that as fedora and was like "whaaa?". I'd recommend an Ashdown Five-fifteen (whatever its called) the one with a 15" speaker and 100w of power. I think its about.. £150 so $300ish
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
I read that as fedora and was like "whaaa?". I'd recommend an Ashdown Five-fifteen (whatever its called) the one with a 15" speaker and 100w of power. I think its about.. £150 so $300ish

great. you just gave me another idea for the closed bass body thread.

a little too much I guess. but it was very nice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom