What are some things that you would like to improve yourself in musically? It can be any aspect of music.

Me...

Guitar:
-Get better on melodic improvisation and following the chord changes more accurately.
-Get started on harmonic/chordal improvisation
-Need to learn how to play solo (unaccompanied) guitar well.
-Get better at jazz, overall.

Violin:
-Develop better intonation in the altissimo register.
-Improve speed.
-Play chords more accurately.
-Get more in touch with the romantic era detache style of playing.
-Memorize more unaccompanied Bach works and other concertos.

Composing:
-Improve notation handwriting and rely less on digital mediums.
-Learn to read clefs and transpositions aside from the trebel clef in concert C.

In general:
-Get more proficient at sight reading.
-Get better at dictation.
-Improve response time to everything.
-Learn more about the technical aspects of other instruments.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Write better songs

Acoustic: Learn how to ****ing play

Bass: Work on it more, add effects, speed

Vocals : Learn
Guitar:
-Improve overall technique so it isn't a boundary when learning or writing songs
-Learn to play FAST
-Learn to improvise, at least pentatonic stuff
-Ultimately learn to play stuff that I imagine in my head on guitar. I can think of loads of melodies, but I can't play them...

Songwriting:
-Start writing complete songs, rather than just occasional riffs
-Bring ideas together to write lyrics. I have plenty of ideas, but I've never tried to write a song.

In general:
-Get new amp
-Get band together
-Play a gig at school
Quote by Acquiescence
you can play chords on violin???

Yes.

Especially Bach, who utilizes a great deal of chord playing in his violin works in order to suit the polyphonic nature of his style.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes.

Especially Bach, who utilizes a great deal of chord playing in his violin works in order to suit the polyphonic nature of his style.

i could only get my bow to play double stops--- gave violin up like 3 years ago anyway
Quote by Xiaoxi
What are some things that you would like to improve yourself in musically? It can be any aspect of music.

Me...

Guitar:
-Get better on melodic improvisation and following the chord changes more accurately.
-Get started on harmonic/chordal improvisation
-Need to learn how to play solo (unaccompanied) guitar well.
-Get better at jazz, overall.

Violin:
-Develop better intonation in the altissimo register.
-Improve speed.
-Play chords more accurately.
-Get more in touch with the romantic era detache style of playing.
-Memorize more unaccompanied Bach works and other concertos.

Composing:
-Improve notation handwriting and rely less on digital mediums.
-Learn to read clefs and transpositions aside from the trebel clef in concert C.

In general:
-Get more proficient at sight reading.
-Get better at dictation.
-Improve response time to everything.
-Learn more about the technical aspects of other instruments.

how long have you been playing? just curious, cause you seem to know a lot. I just started taking suzuki violin lessons in the end of may. my teachers gonna give me book four as soon as I memorize book two. and I've been taking guitar lessons since october....I think I need to improve on everything
Quote by Acquiescence
i could only get my bow to play double stops--- gave violin up like 3 years ago anyway

Ah.

Well, there are common open chords on violin too.

For example, the G major/minor with open G and D, then B/Bb on A string and G on E string. These are pretty easy.

But Bach's use of chords very advanced. He often uses it for chord soloing, similar to that of jazz, in which chords are played along with the melody in a sort of voice leading. His chords also have many directions. In general, a chord is executed by playing from the bottom to the top string. However, his sometimes require landing on a middle note or even executing the opposite way to land on the bass note for melodic lead purposes. Bach is a genius.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
In General:
Stop caring what other people need to improve on
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by emily92
how long have you been playing? just curious, cause you seem to know a lot. I just started taking suzuki violin lessons in the end of may. my teachers gonna give me book four as soon as I memorize book two.

Cool!

I learned with Suzuki as well. It was my primary study up until about boot 6 or 7 I think. Then it just kinda got pointless. Suzuki, however, mainly works by teaching you actual pieces. You need rudimentary practice as well, such as the books of Wolfhart, Kayser, and Kreutzer. Later on, you may wanna take a look at Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo Violin. If you stick to violin, this is the single masterpiece that you should stick with all your life.

And I've been playing for about 8-9 years on violin. I could have been a lot better if I didn't slack off so much in my earlier years.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Violin:
-Develop better upbow and downbow staccato
-Clean up technique; I can be quite tense at times
-Generally improve
-Learn more repertoire

Guitar:
-Improve my sweeping
-Learn more songs
-Improve my speed

Generally:
-Improve aural skills: dictation, especially
-Get more experienced at songwriting/composing
Guitar:
Improvisation - not sticking to a single mode for any solo
Speed
Economy Picking

Mandolin:
Keeping notes even
Get better knowledge of scales outside C, D, G etc
improve tremolo

Piano:
get more confident

Composing:
Experiment more, stop sticking with formulas
Write more interesting melodies

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied about where I am with music
Quote by Xiaoxi
Cool!

I learned with Suzuki as well. It was my primary study up until about boot 6 or 7 I think. Then it just kinda got pointless. Suzuki, however, mainly works by teaching you actual pieces. You need rudimentary practice as well, such as the books of Wolfhart, Kayser, and Kreutzer. Later on, you may wanna take a look at Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo Violin. If you stick to violin, this is the single masterpiece that you should stick with all your life.

And I've been playing for about 8-9 years on violin. I could have been a lot better if I didn't slack off so much in my earlier years.

yeah, I've been playing for about 6 years, but without private lessons eh not so good. I hope to become a musician too, like you said in your profile, but I'll need to work really hard. Since around November of this year I've really started to apply myself, and my teachers say I'm progressing fast...hopefully my hard work and determination will see me through You on the other hand, seem to really know you stuff
Quote by korinaflyingv

Get better knowledge of scales outside C, D, G etc
Maybe this has something to do with mandolins alone, but can't you just apply the same scalar pattern to every key?

Composing:
Experiment more, stop sticking with formulas

Sticking to formulas is not always a bad thing. In fact, you can use it to your advantage, and not in a boring way.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Work on composition and improvision.
Learn to transition faster.
Pinch harmonics lol
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by emily92
yeah, I've been playing for about 6 years, but without private lessons eh not so good. I hope to become a musician too, like you said in your profile, but I'll need to work really hard. Since around November of this year I've really started to apply myself, and my teachers say I'm progressing fast...hopefully my hard work and determination will see me through You on the other hand, seem to really know you stuff

I wish you the best.

And no...I lack a loooot of things. But I guess that's always gonna be the case.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I need to work on, technique wise:
Speed
Pinch harmonics
sweep picking
tapping

Musically:
Improvisation, I just know the basics of the pentatonic scale.
Writing whole songs, and solos. I have no idea how many guitarists can go from say playing in E minor, then going down to A, or B minor. it confuses the **** out of me.
just be able to write songs, like lyrics, I'm tgrying to write one now, I have the topic, but I can't get lyrics...
Guitar:
Work on sweeping
Speed
accuracy
Learn more songs and solos in different types of genres.
Get better at soloing over chord/key changes

Singing:
Practice singing
And growling is kind of fun

Piano:
Learn something

Songwriting:
Learn to write a vocal melody and lyrics
Quote by Xiaoxi
Maybe this has something to do with mandolins alone, but can't you just apply the same scalar pattern to every key?

Sticking to formulas is not always a bad thing. In fact, you can use it to your advantage, and not in a boring way.

1) it's not exactly something to do with mandolins, just that most irish and english trad music (ie what i play) is in G or D major and their relative dorian modes, thus i have a great knowledge of those keys and rely on open strings too much.

2) Well I have formulas in terms of structure that I like, as they're personal to me, but sometimes i just use a similar sounding chord progression for everything I write (kind of like Iron Maiden, but not as obvious), and I have to conciously try to not stick to them to spice things up a little bit. Also, when I'm writing a riff that sounds a bit generic, I have this thought that pops into my head: "Ooh! Ooh! Use a tritone, that's ODD!", which just makes it sound all the more generic... It's just a bad habit that has come from playing samey metal for the first 3 years of playing.
Quote by korinaflyingv
1) it's not exactly something to do with mandolins, just that most irish and english trad music (ie what i play) is in G or D major and their relative dorian modes, thus i have a great knowledge of those keys and rely on open strings too much.

2) Well I have formulas in terms of structure that I like, as they're personal to me, but sometimes i just use a similar sounding chord progression for everything I write (kind of like Iron Maiden, but not as obvious), and I have to conciously try to not stick to them to spice things up a little bit. Also, when I'm writing a riff that sounds a bit generic, I have this thought that pops into my head: "Ooh! Ooh! Use a tritone, that's ODD!", which just makes it sound all the more generic... It's just a bad habit that has come from playing samey metal for the first 3 years of playing.

Ah I see.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Guitar
-learn to improvise correctily
-improve my sweeping, get it nice, tight, and clean.
-Learn some damn music theory
-Improve my legato
-Improve my alternate picking speed, it's not up to my standards yet....-_-

Violin
-Begin learning Violin

Bass
-Learn some songs on the bass.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50