I tried the gear and building forum, no responses

I'm getting started with my own home studio and I'm making a list of the base hardware I'll need. (Keep in mind, this is a GOOD budget studio ($1000-$2000)

I already own a Gearbox UX2, is that a suitable Control Interface for a preamp to plug into? or was the UX2 just not made for that/lessen the sound
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Your english is a bit hard to understand, but the UX2 IS a preamp.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
yea, but the UX2 is a really CHEAP preamp. If I bought a better preamp and used my UX2 as a control interface (meaning I don't use gearbox) would it worsen the quality of the sound?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
The UX1 is an audio interface.
GearBox is simply the driver for the hardware and the amp/FX modeling software.
A Control Surface is a piece of hardware used to control on screen settings instead of using a mouse.

The Toneports IMO are good for small idea work but once you get around $200 you can go for something like the Mackie Onyx Satellite which has better drivers, AD converters, and much better preamps. I suggest it over a Toneport...
A few more steps up will give you PreSonus gear which is even better.

I suggest going for a PreSonus FP10 if you need a lot of inputs. They can be found at a great price these days.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 12, 2008,