Iv'e been playing for around 2 years and this has bothered me.How do you know when you need your guitar to be set up??Or when you need your guitar to be checked?Do you have to do this regularly or what?
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
well.. i hope you change your strings regularly and you should always have your guitar set up for the right action and intonation.
The Conservative youth of America!
Shouldn't really need to be done regularly. If you want to quickly test if your guitar needs setting up, and you have a tuner, hit an open string (say, E), then hit the same string at the 12th fret. If your tuner says its higher or lower than E by a fair amount, you probably need your guitar setting up.
That's not strictly true.

It's a sign that the intonation isn't quite right, although I prefer to play the harmonic at the 12th and compare it to the fretted note at the same fret. But bad, dirty or aged strings can also be a factor here.

To the TS I'd simply suggest that if you think your guitar is not performing the way it should and new strings don't sort it out then either have someone set it up for you or try it yourself.
ok thanks for all the replies btw how often do u need to change string i changed mine after every couple of months is that ok?
~Vince~
Yamaha F310

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by xvasmx
ok thanks for all the replies btw how often do u need to change string i changed mine after every couple of months is that ok?

well if you play a lot you should once every 2 weeks.

if your your strings are high off the fingerboard then i would....you should have have to barly touch it.
If all your strings buzz you may want to get it set up...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Some things that may warrant getting a setup:

Bad intonation (your instrument doesn't stay in tune very long )
Poor action (Your guitar strings are either too close or too far from the fretboard)
Fret Buzzing (sometimes related to poor action)
Bridge height
Neck bowing (adjustment of truss rod, have someone who knows what they're doing)
Pickup height adjustment

there are many other things too, but these are some of the more major ones
Quote by Free
That's not strictly true.

It's a sign that the intonation isn't quite right, although I prefer to play the harmonic at the 12th and compare it to the fretted note at the same fret. But bad, dirty or aged strings can also be a factor here.

To the TS I'd simply suggest that if you think your guitar is not performing the way it should and new strings don't sort it out then either have someone set it up for you or try it yourself.

No, the other guy was right. Compare the OPEN string notes to the FRETTED 12th, not the harmonic to the fretted when checking intonation. You're not making any sort of valuable comparison by using the 12th harmonic AND the 12th fretted. They are both at the 12th fret position. Intonation is the guitar's ability to play in tune along the entire length of the fretboard, at all frets. When you play a guitar, you play open strings A LOT, as well as fretted notes. Honestly, how often do you play harmonics at the 12th? Use the open strings notes, tuned accurately to concert pitch, as the basis for intonation checks, and compare these to the FRETTED 12th notes. Leave the harmonics out of the equasion and you'll find that you have a better, more accurate sounding guitar. Try it if you don't believe me.
Quote by xvasmx
Iv'e been playing for around 2 years and this has bothered me.How do you know when you need your guitar to be set up??Or when you need your guitar to be checked?Do you have to do this regularly or what?

Your setup should be checked every time you change strings. Do this yourself by reading on checking intonation in my post up above.
Intonation should not change by simply changing strings of the same gauge, however it can go off when strings go bad, but it's usually minor, and the new set will put it back in line.
What can alter it drastically is changes in the climate. If you live in an area like I do(Minnesota) that experiences the full monty of weather, you'll want to be checking/adjusting the guitar a couple times a year. Some guitar necks are more prone to change from weather than others, but if it's an acoustic, then the body is affected as well. Solid body guitars like electrics normally don't feel the effects as much.
As the climate changes from winter into summer, the air becomes more humid, which effects the overall dimensions of the wood of a guitar. Wood is similar to a sponge in that it will tend to take on moisture if given the chance. It swells. This changes the geometry of the guitar. A slight truss rod adjustment is usually all it takes to set it right for the summer months(slackening of it).
Then again, as the climate changes back from summer to winter, the air tends to dry out, bringing on another set of problems for guitars, too dry of air. Now the wood tends to shrink back if not fed enough moisture, and this changes the geometry again. Feed the guitar moisture via a humidifier, and adjust the truss again if need be to compensate(snug it back up). Action adjustments may or may not be needed as these are more personal preference things, as long as your not getting any bad buzzing.
These are the times when a guitar needs to be "set-up". I prefer to call it either fine tuning, or simply adjusting. The term "set-up" is too broad.

edited in blue
Last edited by LeftyDave at Aug 12, 2008,
thanks for all the replies,It realy cleared it up for me.
~Vince~
Yamaha F310

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]