Page 1 of 2
I've narrowed it down to these two combos. I've done some researching on them today and i really don't know which to get. I play mostly metal, and would like a good Metallica/Dream Theater type tone. I also play some classic rock so versatility is good. The clean doesn't have to be anything special i only use it occasionally.
Can you try them?

I don't think the 5150 is gunna be able to pull of Dream Theater.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
never tried them but i hear good things about the 5150 all the time.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
For Dream Theater I'd say the Peavey XXX. The 5150 is heavy old school chugging beast so I don't think it would really work for getting that tone.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
For Dream Theater I'd say the Peavey XXX. The 5150 is heavy old school chugging beast so I don't think it would really work for getting that tone.

That's what I was thinking, the 5150 doesn't have the pure clarity needed to pull off Dream Theater.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'm not really sure if i'll be able to try them, my GC doesn't have any in stock and i've tried a couple of small local music stores
would be best if you could try both of them...

the 5150 is more versatile.

the xxx is on the edge of disaster.

i think your gonna be happy with either one of these beasts

good luck
Quote by FireandFlames
Don't Dream Theater and Metallica use Mesas?

Yeah, and the Peavey XXX is pretty much a Mesa clone.
Quote by FireandFlames
Don't Dream Theater and Metallica use Mesas?

i know metallica does, don't know about dream theater.

the XXX/ultra/jsx(all the nearly the same amp) have a looser gain than the 5150/6505 so they would be better than then the 5150/6505 for metallica(they are pretty loose), but i don't listen to dream theater much so i can't help you there. also the 5150 is kinda fizzy(but not a bad fizzy) and the xxx/ultra/jsx are practically noiseless
Quote by jessexxx
would be best if you could try both of them...

the 5150 is more versatile.

the xxx is on the edge of disaster.

i think your gonna be happy with either one of these beasts

good luck

What?

The 5150 isn't that versatile. It's more versatile than most people make out but I'd say the XXX is more versatile.

Edge of disaster? What's that supposed to mean?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
What?

The 5150 isn't that versatile. It's more versatile than most people make out but I'd say the XXX is more versatile.

Edge of disaster as in teh br00t4lz gain!

You're right though the XXX is definitely more versatile but neither are that versatile. The 5150 can pull off some stuff alright but it's champ at what it does, metal. XXX sounds like it's for you TS. Just learn to work the EQ and you should be set. :peace
Quote by maggot2011

You're right though the XXX is definitely more versatile but neither are that versatile. The 5150 can pull off some stuff alright but it's champ at what it does, metal. XXX sounds like it's for you TS. Just learn to work the EQ and you should be set. :peace

I wouldn't say the XXX had more gain but whatever. In this situation the XXX would be better suited.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Go with the Triple, you can get pretty much any tone you want out of it. Plenty of usable gain, key word "usuable". It does sound pretty close to a mesa especially with the resonance switched to loose. The crunch channel will get your that mesa/marshall feel and the ultra channel is gonna be your high gain modern stuff. I could have purchased a 5150 over the Ultra and still can but after playing both pretty extensivly I prefer my Ultra and once you play a none fizzy amp your really get annoyed pretty quick by a 5150. I prefer my gain smooth and fizz free now and thats coming from a guy who had the 5150 at the top of his list.
Quote by maggot2011

I think the Triple XXX is pretty stinking verisatile, it has two Channels that can go from heavily classic rock, EVH-Hair metal to modern metal perfectly, it can do early lighter gain stuff too but if your not looking for a heaver type Dist, then this is not the amp for you any way. I know the 5150 is capable of the same, but the Triple has two OD channels so I can go from a JCM 800 tone to a Dual-recto type gain with a stomp. Also the Clean Channel on this amp is much better than the 5150. I think that makes it a much more versatile amp.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
When i played a triple recto at guitar center i was like.. hmm this gain is pretty similar to the kind that my triple xxx has on the ultra channel. And then the crunch channel is good for that marshally type of classic metal stuff.
Quote by jambi_mantra
What?

huh?

imho the 5150 has a bigger sweet spot.

it means theres a very fine line between useable gain/tone and over the top fizz/feedback/noise....but ironicaly its that "edge of disaster" quality that drew me to the xxx.

as far as which has more gain,...the active eq in the xxx i think gives it a slight advantage.
take it from someone who owns the 5150 combo, go for the XXX.

The 5150 does not have the clarity for playing your style and the lead tones leave a lot to be desired. It is quite fizzy(bad fizz) and I'm just not a fan of it anymore, I'm planning on selling mine soon, it just doesn't suit my needs.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Have you looked into used Mesas?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm sold on the triple x, only problem is finding one. I'm going to head out to GC tomorrow to talk to them about getting one shipped in or hopefully getting a nice deal for a used one. I guess there are only 8 in their chain since they were discontinued anyway, if i cant get the triple x are there any other ones you guys would recommend that are close to its price range? It sounds like i should just forget about the 5150
Quote by crazySkillz15
I'm sold on the triple x, only problem is finding one. I'm going to head out to GC tomorrow to talk to them about getting one shipped in or hopefully getting a nice deal for a used one. I guess there are only 8 in their chain since they were discontinued anyway, if i cant get the triple x are there any other ones you guys would recommend that are close to its price range? It sounds like i should just forget about the 5150

Go used. They go for super cheap on eBay. I've seen them around $600 but then again maybe I'm crazy.
the XXX has a few different models. one being the Super 40 with or w/o EFX (just built in effects), a 60w which i would really like to have but they are a bit more rare than the 40s, and a monster 120w 212.

Im looking myself for either the 60 or the 120 with reverb.

if im not mistaken the Super 40s only have 2 preamp tubes, and 2 power amp tubes, while the 60s and 120s have 3 preamp and 4 power? or vice versa lol. i cant remember.

edit: also, the 120 has a switch on the back that can cut the wattage in half or more so its less overkill. Which is very usefull, because its basically the halfstack in in a combo package lmao
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 11, 2008,
well is there really much of a difference in tone and quality? I don't want to end up buying it when i just could've got a 60
Yeah, that is the XXX that I have. I got mine for about $650 from the store though. They ran for $800 new until they were discontinued. So that is a steal. I'd go for it. The XXX does sound very similar to a Mesa, and in my opinion has more usable gain than a Dual Rectifier.
the 60 and 120 should have a lot more head room and possibly more gain due to the increase in tubes, but still the 40 should have a considerable amount of gain, also it may be better if you dont gig since 40w is still going to be DAMN LOUD. If you can find a 60, go for it, they are a lot more rare than the others. I have been on ebay looking for them and i have come to this conclusion...

The most common models that appear on ebay are,

1. The Super 40's both w/ or w/o EFX
2. The 120w 212
3. The 60w

like i said, if the differance in the 40 and 60 will get to you, by all means, get the 60 if you can find it.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

It is a great price, but im also now looking at an xxx for 600. hm, is the extra cash worth it?
what watt?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

get a Mesa DC-5 combo; it's like a fusion of the Mark and Rectifier series. IMO, it slays basically all new amps under like, 2 grand (or whatever the price of the Roadster is; i love that amp, but the DC and Roadster are different beasts).
thats a ok price if it stays at 600. watch the auctions tho the prices can easily jump

a 40 SHOULD run around 4-600 depending on the condition, the 60 if you can find them should run 5-700, and the 120s should be 6-700.

edit: the only 60 on ebay that i see is the one for $305.05. is that the one your looking at?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 12, 2008,
Does the 40 have the 3 channels? I cant really tell from the picture and it looks to have fewer knobs
Last edited by crazySkillz15 at Aug 12, 2008,
it only has 2. its like the 6505, it only has Ultra which is all high gain metal, and rhythm which is clean

edit: actually, by the looks at the pics, it has Ultra and rhythm which appears to be a crunch like channel. Im assuming that you can get the cleans out of the rhythm by turning the gain knob off.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
thats a ok price if it stays at 600. watch the auctions tho the prices can easily jump

a 40 SHOULD run around 4-600 depending on the condition, the 60 if you can find them should run 5-700, and the 120s should be 6-700.

edit: the only 60 on ebay that i see is the one for $305.05. is that the one your looking at?

The 60 i was checking out has a starting of 550 and then a 50 dollar shipping so it will end up being more than 600
are you in the US? cause the only 60 on my screen is going for $305 and has like 33 bids.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400

if im not mistaken the Super 40s only have 2 preamp tubes, and 2 power amp tubes, while the 60s and 120s have 3 preamp and 4 power? or vice versa lol. i cant remember.

The super 40 has 4 preamp tubes, well really 3 and then one for the phase inverter. And then 2 power tubes.

And ts the super 40 has 3 channels technically but realistically there is the ultra channel and then the crunch/clean channels are shared on one channel. So really only two footswitchable channels. Its not a big deal for me since i never really play cleans, but i think the 60w might have 3 channels.
Page 1 of 2