OK this is probably a completely stupid question but I am going to ask it any ways. I was playing an Orange Thunderverb at a store on Saturday and was absolutely blown away! Anyways I have a jcm800 4210 and I was wondering if there are any mods that I can do to make it sound more like the orange with out having to go and drop 2 grand. Especially since I just drop 1 grand on a new G&L Legacy this weekend!!

Also if there this is just out of the question what would be some good mods for me to do just to make my amp sound a little better because it sounds muddy compared to other 800s I have played. Or if there is a page that just lists some mods and their descriptions and instructions for them that would be great as well.
Do you have good/new tubes? That should make a difference.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
yes I actually just replaced the tubes a couple of weeks ago with tung sols. this helped some but not much.
if you have no prior experience of electronics then dont do this.
at best, you'll **** up your amp.
at worst, you'll **** up your amp and be dead too.

seriously.

not trying to rain on your parade but i've built amps and even with handling a soldering iron in college every
day for 2 years and knowing what i was doing it was still tough going.
^not really....

at best youll f*** up the amp
at worst, youll blow the amp up and be dead....yeah, it can blow up....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
well then where should I start learning about these things? I have a basic understanding of electronics, I have taken a couple of electronic class in college (not upper level stuff though). at least give me some guidance here, dont just shut me down.
somthing very simple- building or modding pedals..then work ur way up to small tube amps (champ, epi Valve junior) and then larger stuff
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I have modded a few pedals, I really enjoy it. I did my VS Jekyll and hyde, crybaby, mrx phase 90, and my Ibanez TS9DX.
i have a buddy that modded a selectable tone circuit into his older marshall... i dunno if any of the tones sound like an orange tho :\
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
OK so this older guy at work that used to have an electronics repair shop told me how to discharge the capacitors correctly and he said he would help me out a little with doing some mods. Now i just need to know what to mod. Any suggestions?
I'd recommend building a simple pedal like a fuzz-face or something first, its real easy.
then later maybe build a fender champ or an 18watt.

if you REALLY want to dive in to the JCM 800 mods, then this site is great:

http://www.tone-lizard.com/Ultimate_JCM800.htm

on the whole subject of making a marshall sound like orange:
i know that many Orange amps are based on marshall circuits but the tone of an amp comes from the entirety of the circuit/tubes/output transformer, not just one single componant. I'd wager you'll need to do extensive mods (bordering on a complete re-build) to get a completely Orange tone
Yeah thats really what I figured about the orange amps.
Thanks for the link. Can these mods be done to any JCM 800? Mine is a 4210 split channel with reverb. It shows the schematics for the 2203/2204, ar ethe amps close enough to each other that these mods can still be done on mine?
Last edited by Alex88 at Aug 12, 2008,