Hey all, I'm going to start saving for a decent rig so I can actually start working around with bands and such, because I have no band experience, and every band that has approved of my skill have told me that my gear was inadequate.

SO, I'm going to begin saving for a new amp, maybe a couple pedals of some kind, and a new guitar.

For the amp I was looking at the Peavey 6505, or XXX, I play mostly death metal, so think Whitechapel when I'm talking of lower end distortion, but I love John Petrucci's tone when he does his solos, that fluid, clean tone he gets. So I'm stuck between these two.

Pedals, I havent decided yet. I know I'm going to get a wah, and a delay, but other than that, I have no idea.

Guitar wise I'm saving for an Ibanez Xiphos, the seven string version. I love this guitar, and I was going to get it anyway

SO, I came here seeking advice for this future prospect, and advice, additions/subtractions I should make to this list, feel free to tell me!

(Btw, yes, I do know that this will cost a ****LOAD of money)

Thanks!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you want a high gain amp the 6505 is a great choice..
Maybe also look at some of the Engl amps?

For delay it really depends how much you want to spend on a pedal.. The Boss DD-3 is a great lower priced one and the Line 6 DL-4 is amazing but much more expensive.
Quote by soundcheck1
If you want a high gain amp the 6505 is a great choice..
Maybe also look at some of the Engl amps?

For delay it really depends how much you want to spend on a pedal.. The Boss DD-3 is a great lower priced one and the Line 6 DL-4 is amazing but much more expensive.

Right, but what I probably should have put is I'm actually looking for more of a Michael Amott kinda tone? That open raw kinda tone? I love that, and I KNOW the Peavey 6505 can get it, but I was wondering more specifically about the versatility and other things compared to the 6505 and The XXX.

I'm willing to spend about $80 per pedal, give or take some. I'm going to be saving for a long time, but it'll be worth it in the end.

btw, I have looked at some ENGLs, but they're so expensive I would spend far too much time saving for just a head, then have no money for a cab or anything else i was looking for. So, I'm not looking at an ENGL at the moment.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Don't count out the XXX. Tonnes of gain, three channels, warm cleans and very, very, tweakable active eq's.

From clean, to mean. Classic rock to modern death metal.

Also look at the JSX. Warmer, more fluid and natural sounding compressed tone. Slightly more articulate than the XXX too.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Don't count out the XXX. Tonnes of gain, three channels, warm cleans and very, very, tweakable active eq's.

From clean, to mean. Classic rock to modern death metal.

Also look at the JSX. Warmer, more fluid and natural sounding compressed tone. Slightly more articulate than the XXX too.

Well I wasnt counting it out, I was actually looking for some people who have experience with BOTH amps, or better yet who own them, to help me out. Versatility wise, I wanted to know what had the edge, which has better cleans, which has better distortion, the cleaner distortion, etc, etc.

I'll check out the JSX next time I'm at GC.

Quick question, do you think it would be a good idea to bring my guitar? I know that would be good to get the actual sound out of it, but I was just wondering because they dont really have stock C standard guitars there probably a pretty obvious question, but still.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It's always a good idea to bring your guitar when amp shopping.

I have a JSX and have played XXX's. I like the JSX better because its gain has more clarity and warmth. It's clean channel is very pure sounding with a lot of volume and headroom. The XXX clean channel is also nice, but it breaks up eventually. While you can't make the JSX clean channel break up at all.

The JSX also takes low tuned, high gain tones very well with it's tight tracking and clear note seperation. I use the ultra channel for modern metal tones and the crunch channel for rock tones. It excels at both.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION