I don't know why, but I can't play major chords w/ the base note on the A string. I just can't press down the 3 frets together. Take, for example, a C major

e---3---
B---5---
G---5---
D---5---
A---3---
E---x---

I have no idea how to press all the fret 5's down. I tried using pinky, ring, and middle, but the fifth fret on the A string always buzzes or comes out as a F#. When I use my ring finger alone to press down all the fifth frets, the G on the top e-string either comes out as an A or doesn't come out at all.

And given how major chords are used more often than diminished chords, there's always a chord or two I can't play in a song I really love. On top of that, it frustrates even more when I look at what I can play and what I can't play. I can play Tommy Emmanuel and Buckethead's crazy finger picking stuff, but I can't play chords for Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Sad story.
Last edited by AGP423 at Aug 11, 2008,
Flatten your ring finger. It hurts a bit at first but thta's how I learned to play BMajor.

edit: you press down hard enough so that the end flattens but that you're not touching any other strings (high e string)

I have no idea.

What's the point in this???

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by AGP423
I don't know why, but I can't play major chords w/ the base note on the A string. I just can't press down the 3 frets together. Take, for example, a C major

e---3---
B---5---
G---5---
A---5---
D---3---
E---x---

I have no idea how to press all the fret 5's down. I tried using pinky, ring, and middle, but the fifth fret on the A string always buzzes or comes out as a F#. When I use my ring finger alone to press down all the fifth frets, the G on the top e-string either comes out as an A or doesn't come out at all.

And given how major chords are used more often than diminished chords, there's always a chord or two I can't play in a song I really love. On top of that, it frustrates even more when I look at what I can play and what I can't play. I can play Tommy Emmanuel and Buckethead's crazy finger picking stuff, but I can't play chords for Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Sad story.

You should try putting the strings on the right way round.
It's tricky at 1st but you can do it by barreing the 3rd fret with your index and holding down the strings at the 5th with your ring finger alone. It feels really unnatural at 1st, but ultimately it's faster, allows you to do more "around" the chord and is easier in the long run.

I doubt I could pull off the 4 fingered A shape major barre these days, it'd feel weird as hell.
Yeah just use the 4 middle strings, neither of the E's.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
You don't need to play the high 5th.

Alternatively, you could play other chords, such as a C6/9, You'll be able to reach the 5th easier.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Steve The Plank
You should try putting the strings on the right way round.

Every thread I look in, you have the most hilarious response in the first 3 or 4 posts. It's amazing, that's what it is. There's only one way to put it. I love you.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
you don't have to play the high e string. Its got 1, 3, and 5 with out it and its easier to finger.
Sig What?
That G on the high E is really unnecessary harmonically because you already have the fifth of C (G) on the 5th fret of the D string. Just do the chord as you would a power chord with a ring finger bar, but fret the E on the B string.
Really? I never really had much of a problem with it
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by AGP423

e---3---
B---5---
G---5---
A---5---
D---3---
E---x---

Sad story.

WUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT
IIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNIIIIIIIING
Every form of control over another person is a crime

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

RED MILITIA-Vamos a Vencer
Quote by moodster
Every thread I look in, you have the most hilarious response in the first 3 or 4 posts. It's amazing, that's what it is. There's only one way to put it. I love you.

WTF is with all the 08ers trying to get sigged left and right?!

It's irritating as ****!!!!!!!!!!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

When you guys extend your finger all the way, does the bone sort of protrude out?

Like around where the "proximal inter-phalangeal joint" is pointing, my bone sticks out on my ring finger
Alternatively, a guitar teacher I had for a short period of time amazed me by actually playing each of those notes with an individual finger. A harder to achieve goal overall me-thinks, but for certain people it might work better.
Dart of the Dragoons Pm big_deth to join
Just tried it on my Squier S-100 and I got a clean tone out of it on my first try.

Hit moar notes?

Maybe try to roll your finger a little bit so that you can get more extension with your hand?
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
ok seriously nao, i'll try to explain hao I do it but it will be hard to understand coz i'll type sm stoopid stuff and i am greek so it'll be hard to understand:

First, barre all the strings in the 3rd fret using your pointer finger.
Then, there are two alternatives
1st and dumpiest: Your ring finger consists of 3 members divided by joints. Barre the the d,g,b strings using the two upper parts of your finger and bend the third part properly so it will let the e string barred by your pointer. This is not too hard, it just needs sm effort and practice

2nd easiest: use you middle, ring and winky to finger the d,g,b strings respectively in the 5th fret of each string(that is after you have barred the 3rd frets of all the strings using your pointers)
Every form of control over another person is a crime

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

RED MILITIA-Vamos a Vencer