Alright guys i'm in need of some help. I'd like to get another guitar seeing how I like to experiment with a lot of different tunings and having 1 guitar to play in a band with just isn't cutting it when I want to switch from tuning to tuning.

Anyway, I like the guitar I have now (in sig) it has heavy tone that is generally heavier/deeper than a standard Les Paul Studio. The only problem with it is that the neck is pretty thick and it gets tiresome when i'm down near the 1-4 frets like playing the main riff in Master of Puppets, my hand gets tired after 5 or so plays of that rhythm when I can do it all day on a guitar with a much thinner neck.

The problem being that I think if I get a guitar with a much thinner neck it won't have near the same deepness/heaviness of my current guitar which I love so much.

Am I correct in saying that if the neck is thinner it will not be as heavy a sound as a fatter neck?

Summary: (if ya don't feel like reading above :P)
I am in need of suggestions on what guitar I could get that will have a heavy sound similar to mine (in sig) but have the playablity of a thinner neck like a Schecter Damien-6 (I mention this guitar because I've tried it and I know I love the thinness and playability of the neck)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Aug 11, 2008,
I already read through it when I got to your summary.

I don't think it will matter that much. It's gonna be your amp that decides it all in the end (and pickups, etc). I mean it might sound a little thinner, or brighter or whatever, but probably not much of a substantial difference.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I already read through it when I got to your summary.

I don't think it will matter that much. It's gonna be your amp that decides it all in the end (and pickups, etc). I mean it might sound a little thinner, or brighter or whatever, but probably not much of a substantial difference.

It makes a difference :O

I've played both my guitar and the schecter damien-6 through my amp and my guitar was substantially heavier in tone.
If you like the sound of your guitar, just practice more, changing gear is only a quick fix anyway. That said, yes a thinner neck is easier to play on. Many metal bands use thin necks and get thick tones, but, keep in mind early metallica's Kirk Hammet had some hella thick necks on his guitars. Just watch the guitar he uses for the 89 Seattle concert on youtube
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Quote by Quoteman
If you like the sound of your guitar, just practice more, changing gear is only a quick fix anyway. That said, yes a thinner neck is easier to play on. Many metal bands use thin necks and get thick tones, but, keep in mind early metallica's Kirk Hammet had some hella thick necks on his guitars. Just watch the guitar he uses for the 89 Seattle concert on youtube

Well I also want another guitar for the purposes of another tuning, although I see what you're saying about just practice it.
If you're willing to switch the pickups out then that opens your options up immensely. Just go try some stuff out and pick the one that plays the best, because once you put a nice set of heavy pickups in it, the sound will be very different anyways. Really any schecter should be a good choice, I know I love my hellraiser.

EDIT: Also, what tunings are you currently using?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
If you're willing to switch the pickups out then that opens your options up immensely. Just go try some stuff out and pick the one that plays the best, because once you put a nice set of heavy pickups in it, the sound will be very different anyways. Really any schecter should be a good choice, I know I love my hellraiser.

EDIT: Also, what tunings are you currently using?

So if I understand you right the sound of a guitar depends on this:

30% of sound is make of guitar
70% of sound is pickups

Would that be a fairly accurate assumption?

I'm using Drop B, Drop C and Eb.

As well as Drop D and Standard of course.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

70% of sound is pickups

It depends on the kind of pickups to a certain extent; pickups like EMGs tend to make guitars sound the same, I assume SD blackouts are roughtly the same but a good set of pickups will sound different in different guitars.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

70% of sound is pickups

I'm using Drop B, Drop C and Eb.

As well as Drop D and Standard of course.

Well basically, it's not so much the make, but things such as the wood type, neck type, stuff like that. Most brands have similar styles to their guitars. My personal favorite type of wood is mahogony. Mix that with a set neck and a string thru body and you have the start of what, in my opinion, is a great sound. Then the pickups come into play. Like the guy said ealier, active pickups really sound pretty much the same regardless of what kind of guitar you are using.
And you could always capo the drop B on the first fret to get drop C. I know what I do is record things in different tunings but when we play them live we stick to one tuning. For example we have E standard and Eb standard recorded, but playing live we just go with Eb standard.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
Well basically, it's not so much the make, but things such as the wood type, neck type, stuff like that. Most brands have similar styles to their guitars. My personal favorite type of wood is mahogony. Mix that with a set neck and a string thru body and you have the start of what, in my opinion, is a great sound. Then the pickups come into play. Like the guy said ealier, active pickups really sound pretty much the same regardless of what kind of guitar you are using.
And you could always capo the drop B on the first fret to get drop C. I know what I do is record things in different tunings but when we play them live we stick to one tuning. For example we have E standard and Eb standard recorded, but playing live we just go with Eb standard.

So passive pickups would be the way to go if I got a guitar I liked the feel to get the deep sound I want?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So passive pickups would be the way to go if I got a guitar I liked the feel to get the deep sound I want?

Well active pickups will almost always be "heavier" than passive pickups, but we're saying is that the guitar doesn't contribute to the tone as much with active pickups. Bascially, if you go and play a guitar with EMG pickups in them, and you buy a different guitar and put the same pair of EMGs in, the tone will be at least 99% the same, whereas passive pickups will have a greater variation.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
Well active pickups will almost always have more output than than passive pickups

Fixed.

Higher output doesn't always mean a heavier sound; a lot of the heaviest bands out there don't use as much gain as you think they do, too much gain and your sound looses definition and crunch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.