Hey guys, I've never touched a bass in my life, but I'm really interested in starting to learn how to play. I was thinking of buying this bass pack at a SamAsh near me:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&DepartmentID=2&STRID=212524&CategorySubID=1009&CategoryID=1009&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=5&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

Now I'd like to ask some questions.

Is it good to buy a 4 string bass, or should I get one with more? I've tried guitar before and I didn't do very good because the 6 strings barely gave me any space, but bass looks like it has tons of space due to it only having 4 strings, so I won't really have to worry much about my fingers touching the strings under the others. What do you think?

Also, should I be using a pick to start out, or my fingers? I see tons of bass players mostly use their fingers to play.

One last thing. Is it essential to know how to read tab to play music, or should I actually learn the place of the notes and stuff?

Thank you everyone!
Quote by SynisterGates!
bass looks like it has tons of space due to it only having 4 strings, so I won't really have to worry much about my fingers touching the strings under the others.

Get a bass with a wide neck.

As for pick vs fingers ... I prefer fingers because it gets more of a groovy sound whereas a pick sounds more like a low guitar.
I suggest you go to a music store and actually try out a bass before getting one. Then if you do like it, ask someone there about starting out bass, and they'll hook you up with a starter pack.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
your right about the fingers sounding more groovy but some songs just sound stupid with fingers. im kind of a flip flopper depending on the song.
Quote by staticjeff
your right about the fingers sounding more groovy but some songs just sound stupid with fingers. im kind of a flip flopper depending on the song.

Depends on the player. You can play a wide range of tones with fingers depending on what pickup you use and how close to the bridge you play. It all sounds groovy so I'm happy, the only exception is playing literally right next to the bridge. Pick doesn't have as wide of a range.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I suggest you go to a music store and actually try out a bass before getting one. Then if you do like it, ask someone there about starting out bass, and they'll hook you up with a starter pack.

You know that sounds good, I'm going to do that =]!