How is the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 or 5:50?

I play progressive rock, and want some warm smooth clean sound, and heavy stuff aswel.

How are these amps compared to other Mesa Boogies and Mesa Boogie Cabs?
id say,compared to other mesa boogies,this is the most simplified version yet much varieties can be discovered,i have the mesa boogie express 5:50,i think the tone is fatter than that of 5:25,the tubes stored in each tube are different,the tubes in 5:50 is 6L6 tubes,but i think if u want to play heavy stuff,it all comes down to your pickups,but the amp itself gives you sufficient gain.
My Gear

Esp M-II
Jackson Demmelition V
PRS Santana SE
Mesa/Boogie 5:50
IMHO the Express amps are (for Mesa) simplified blues & hard rock amps. Their cleans (and reverb) are exceptionally good, although the Lone Star probably has the best clean tone of the Mesa line. The Express amps don't have as much gain as the Mark IV, F-series, Stilettos and rectos. They can do old-school metal well (Sabbath, Priest, Iron Maiden), but would need a pedal to do high-gain, scooped numetal tones. The Express amps cover a lot of territory well, though.
I would suggest either a mark IV or a F-50

From what I hear not to many people like the express series, although they do have good cleans.
i played one with a strat and a les paul, and on the strat it was great, but i thought it was super muddy with the humbuckers.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Warm and smooth describes exactly what the Express series isn't.
I'd look at some other Mesas though, the F-50, mark series, etc should be what you want.
I've got a 5:25. The cleans are very nice, the reverb is good, and the Crunch mode is great for the classic rock/old school metal side of things.

It isn't great for high gain playing, but it is alright.
Quote by blue_strat
I've got a 5:25. The cleans are very nice, the reverb is good, and the Crunch mode is great for the classic rock/old school metal side of things.

It isn't great for high gain playing, but it is alright.

can it do old-school prog like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson?

and how about Dream Theater?
You could get older prog sounds, but the new refined sounds of Dream theater for example may be hard to coaxe out of it, they are not designed as modern metal sounding amps unfortunately.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
You could get older prog sounds, but the new refined sounds of Dream theater for example may be hard to coaxe out of it, they are not designed as modern metal sounding amps unfortunately.

Yes, okey. I see. So it might be hard with some Porcupine Tree aswel?
Yeah unfortunately, it would be possible to get those sounds eventually with OD's equalizers etc but in the long run i would look into a more modernly voiced Mesa, like a Mark series, a III or IV would be ideal.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah unfortunately, it would be possible to get those sounds eventually with OD's equalizers etc but in the long run i would look into a more modernly voiced Mesa, like a Mark series, a III or IV would be ideal.

okey! thanks a lot mate =)
Quote by hmmm_de_hum

We are talking about combo amps now, right? How are the combos compared to the cabs?
I had a quick go on one a few weeks back.

I quite liked it, but thought that it sucked that it doesn't have a presence control.