ok I know several chords put they are all in the first position. For example how would I find where the, let's say the D chord would show up higher up on the fretboard? Is there a name for this method of finding chords in positions other than the first? I just need someone to point me in the right direction.
Quote by LedZepFan2000
ok I know several chords put they are all in the first position. For example how would I find where the, let's say the D chord would show up higher up on the fretboard? Is there a name for this method of finding chords in positions other than the first? I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

chords can be found all over the fretboard. Instead of memorizing specific chords, you'll find it easier to use barre chords. Barre chords allow you to use the same shape along the fretboard for creating chords, often the bass note will determine the root note ( depending on which shape you're using. Anyway, this site has plenty of lessons and threads about movable chords, that's what you'll want to read about.

And for the person who responded to you, he hardily gave you a decent answer, a triad is the simplest of chords composed of 3 notes, but that's not what the OP was asking for.
chords can be found all over the fretboard. Instead of memorizing specific chords, you'll find it easier to use barre chords. Barre chords allow you to use the same shape along the fretboard for creating chords, often the bass note will determine the root note ( depending on which shape you're using. Anyway, this site has plenty of lessons and threads about movable chords, that's what you'll want to read about.

WTF! No WAY! I did not know that maybe something I should look into, does this give you a bad habit though?
well it's a good thing to know your way around open chords, but once you're able to play barre chords you have an advantage as far as playing chords goes. It's not a bad habit as long as you understand how chords are built, and understand why they still work when you place your fingers in the same shape across the fretboard. But again, It can only help you to be able to play barre chords and open chords with relative ease.
oh yea just to clarify what exactly does open chords mean?

EDIT: I now know they use "open" strings... slap myself on the face
Last edited by LedZepFan2000 at Aug 11, 2008,
open chords refers to the fact that at some point in execution you're playing an open string, often which you'll read in a tab as the number 0 in a chord sequence like this:

e|--2---0---0---------------------------|
B|--3---1---1---------------------------|
G|--2---2---0---------------------------|
D|--0---2---2---------------------------|
A|--0---0---3---------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------|

D/A  Am  C