i need to buy a new set of strings and i have no knowledge about strings what so ever. how do i know what i should get? also, i only broke the high e string. does that mean i should get a whole new set or just the high e string? i have no idea what kind my strings are.

for those who are too lazy to read my last post:

sorry for the late response. i had to go last night.

i've been playing for a year and a half and i just never got around to picking out which string i prefer. my dad always did it for me and i never minded.

which strings will be the most durable for really big bends on the upper strings? that seems to be how i keep breaking them. also, i have a floyd rose. if i tighten it too tight, does that help break the strings?

another quick question: if i leave the strings in their package for an extended period of time (a few months), will that make them go bad? or is it them being bent and played a lot that makes them go bad (sorry if its a dumb question =\)
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 12, 2008,
Haha yeah get a whole new set.

It depends on what you are playing and what tuning you are in...

I recommend some kind of 10's if you are going to say around the E or D standard.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Get .10s or .11s. For you, you might look into Ernie Ball strings.

Does your title mean that it breaks consistently, or just the one time?
take your guitar in if your so unsure. usually they have an experienced person who will be able to point you in the right direction.... usually being the key word
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Buy DR strings. best i ever used, they last longer than any other and sound better too.
Dude strings are not supposed to be used untill broken. You should change them twice a year on a guitar thats not even played to keep it in good sounding condition. If you play daily on the one guitar I'd recommend you change them out every month or so. As far as the selection the main thing that matters is the guage. Usually listed by the guage if the #1 (skinniest) but not all sets of .010's will have the same guage on all the strings (mainly the wound three and the difference is pretty small if youre not particular). You just need to find out what guage you like the feel of. Smaller equals less tension and makes it easier to push down the string or strings. Thicker equals more tension and generally gives a more articulate sound with better string to string clarity and can be played harder with the picking hand without overdoing it but it will be harder to press strings down. Its all a matter of prefrence. Judging by your question (no offense) it sounds like you're just getting started so you'd probably want to go with lighter strings. .009 are about the thinnest ones I'd reccomend unless you have a 24 3/4 inch scale length (if you dont know measure from the nut to the bridge it should either be 24 3/4 or 25 1/2 if its a common brand) then maybe .010s if thats the case. Try different ones out and find what you like. PS string guage can change the setup of the guitar slightly once you find your prefered guage I'd have a tech check out the neck relief, action, intonation, and tremolo if it has one and optimize it for that guage of strings
just buy one dude, no need to waste money
btw, how did you get such a great gear without even knowing how to change a string? X_x
if you decide to buy a whole set of strings, i recommend you the Ernie Ball Slinky Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom, that way you get low and agressive power chords in the low strings and comfortable and screaming solos in the high strings
and also try to learn something about this kind of stuff because it is very important
Quote by DarkLordArthur
btw, how did you get such a great gear without even knowing how to change a string? X_x
if you decide to buy a whole set of strings, i recommend you the Ernie Ball Slinky Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom, that way you get low and agressive power chords in the low strings and comfortable and screaming solos in the high strings
and also try to learn something about this kind of stuff because it is very important

I used to use the skinny top heavy bottoms for a while on a 24 3/4 scale ibanez because thats what it came stock with and I didn't like 'em. They are great for most metal because of the good power chord bass strings and bendable trebble strings but I thought it made it hard to play bar chords because of the uneven tension over them.
Quote by DarkLordArthur

Waste money? It's like five bucks or three if you buy a ten pack online and I'd rather sell the vox and get a blues junior than play on ratty old strings all the time.
anywhere that sells strings has someone who plays them. guitar players are welcoming and supportive to us beginners (generally) and will gladly show you what strings to get and how to put them on. if the strings break often enough to piss you off (and i mean REALLY piss you off) i would order some string saver saddles, the surgery is easy and they really work well. (my old saddles were like X-acto knives) i had serial string issues and in the past month (mind that's as long as i've had a guitar) i've needed new strings four times. the ones i bought recently were B-52s, and i HIGHLY recommend them.
sorry for the late response. i had to go last night.

i've been playing for a year and a half and i just never got around to picking out which string i prefer. my dad always did it for me and i never minded.

which strings will be the most durable for really big bends on the upper strings? that seems to be how i keep breaking them. also, i have a floyd rose. if i tighten it too tight, does that help break the strings?

another quick question: if i leave the strings in their package for an extended period of time (a few months), will that make them go bad? or is it them being bent and played a lot that makes them go bad (sorry if its a dumb question =\)
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 12, 2008,
the strings will sit just as long in the store as they will in your guitar case, buy them when you can.